Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow. A classic case of running out of talent...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts
Default Wow. A classic case of running out of talent...

http://jalopnik.com/ride-along-as-th...ium=socialflow
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Running out of road at the same time you run out of talent is a bad combination.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn M3 drivers
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DB's like this are giving Phoenix a bad wrap. Why, when we have access to so many track resources?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Friggin' moron. I actually thought I'd seen this before, but that was a different M3 driven the same way rolled over the rocks in some dessert.

Guy is really lucky there wasn't opposing traffic right at that point. And then the dumbass goes and posts it. Good grief.

Youth, and it appears hot cars, are wasted on the young...

-Mike
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Isn't someone going to say... That'll buff right out!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MelanomaMan
DB's like this are giving Phoenix a bad wrap. Why, when we have access to so many track resources?

Uhhhh.....

Brian, you want this guy ON the track with you? I'd rather have him rolling down into sahuaro lake myself...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:04 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That'll buff right out.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- the car in front of him scrubbed speed around the corner and he didn't (you can see the brake lights of car in front trail the brakes around the corner) and he has full turn and it goes straight off (decreasing radius)

- i have a similar story about a car following me after I was past the newby DE stage and somewhat knew what I was doing
- on a morning drive to work there is a double apex, decreasing apex, onramp onto the highway
- you can take the first part of the turn way faster than a normal person would realize as long as you have additional brake input for the second shaper / slower part of the onramp (decreasing radius)
- i use this on ramp for a little fun every now and then for fun in the morning (lets say 7/10 on a DE pace)
- anyways, this AMG 6.3 car decided he had to follow me because if i could do it he could
- i try to avoid any and all of this all the time - the car attracts enough attention by itself
- i notice last minute this AMG is all over me through the first apex part where i would be going 2.5x what 'normal' cars would be doing as you can easily do it if you apply additional brakes and also trail then around and up the corner of the on ramp
- i do this no problem and then look back hoping he is ok and also hoping he doesn't rear end me
- needless to say physics apply
- he was at least 1.5x what was possible and the guard rail was waiting
- I had nothing to do with it, he just decided he didn't like a porsche doing something in front of him which he was clearly manly enough to do at 6:45am
- it was so stupid of him - believe it or not I think i had Hoosiers on the car as it was Monday morning after a day at the track on Sunday
- true story, never forget it, I actually was most worried he was coming into the back of me as I braked significantly for the 2nd apex - fortunately the only way to take the turn at this speed is to hit the apex which is way inside the line that normal people would drive on
- I drive this everyday and use this same line in the SUV and the funny thing is I think I have trained about 1000 drivers how to take the turn who follow me on my morning commute - it is quite funny actually
- he just missed me - but he didn't go off a cliff

Last edited by 997gt3north; 06-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Cheyenne
Instructor

^^ I'm very careful about playing with people on the street for this kind of reason. I once took a guy through a nasty bump on what is likely the most dangerous road on the west coast, he was in a 914, I was in a Honda CRX. I loved that bump (they kinda fixed it)...he backed off really quick after we went through it. I thought about it and realized I shouldn't ever do that again, I'd hate to see someone crash and wonder if they wouldn't had I not gone first.

Most people slow for this bump...I used it to throw the car deeper into the corner.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There used to be a series of curvy mountain roads in the foothills in tucson, every Saturday night you'd head up there to find BMWs, M1, Ferrari TR, Maserati, Porsches of all descriptions a few Shelby, GT40 and an occasional cobra (back before there were replicas) making the circuit. Sunday a morning you could make the drive to see the evidence of the previous nights mishaps including a perfectly pancaked gt350 and a late 80s turbo flat in the ravine... We ran cafe bikes as well.... Ahh to be young and stupid again...
Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

early apex?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 AM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by J richard
Uhhhh.....

Brian, you want this guy ON the track with you? I'd rather have him rolling down into sahuaro lake myself...
Good point Jim, although he would have to win a lot of DE's before running with us.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 744 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
early apex?
More like "decreasing radius". That's the most dangerous turn when you don't know one is coming.

Scott
Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Just Darwin tossing some chlorine in the gene pool. . .

Quick Reply: Wow. A classic case of running out of talent...