Sponsored by:

996 GT Race Car Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 996 GT Race Car Build

As some of you may know, I have/had been looking to purchase a 996 race car for some time. My initial thought process was that I would prefer to buy someone else’s project instead of building new (a lesson I learned 3x by building my current Carrera based race car). I was unhappy with what I saw in the market, both from a build out and pricing standpoint…..expectations simply didn’t make sense based on what I know of the secondary market for base cars. Another option was simply to jump into a 996 Cup; the novelty of driving a 996 Cup (and the great current pricing) was appealing, but I wanted to avoid high run costs. With that in mind, I began exploring other options and finally connected with a shop that is active in my racing club, POC.

I decided to build new……here’s the project:

Body/Chassis
2002 C4 Tub…aka same tub as the Cup, basically.
Cup Spec Cage (if Porsche Motorsports still delivered 996 Cup tubs, I imagine this is what you would get)
Replica Cup bodywork (front/rear bumper, splitter, rockers, rear deck)
Tub, body work and suspension designed to allow for 255/305 tire combo
Cup wing w/ raised uprights (roofline)
Full Lexan excluding front windshield
Target off-track weight is sub 2,500lbs

Suspension/Brakes
2-way adjustable Motons
GT3 sways
Tarrett bushings, drop links, camber boxes, etc..
Proprietary ABS system based off of stock (best cheater wins!). Calibrated for wheel/tire combo; eliminates “icing” effect
Stock C2 brakes (more than sufficient for sprint races and reduces unsprung weight)

Drivetrain
996 3.6l
Knife-edged
Balanced/blueprinted
Carillo Rods
Decked Heads
Grammed pistons, etc, etc, etc
This is a full spec race motor with an eye toward sustainability
997 stock tranny (slightly better gearing than a 996 variant and an Aisin case. This may be a negative to some, but the newer design and FUTURE availability of parts is extremely important. Having an ’88 G50 box really makes you appreciate the cost of rare replacement parts!)
Having to skip the GT LSD at this point as Matt is furiously trying to meet Grand AM demand…..but it’s on the list

As I alluded to earlier, I had two primary goals for this car; 1) constant podium finisher, and 2) reduced run costs (this will never be as bulletproof as my Carrera, but it won’t be far off). Originally I wanted to make this a GT car that fit into the pointy end of GTB1, but the restrictions on engine life modifications and the current Cayman “advantage” moved me away from it. Running at a 9.0:1 power to weight, this car WILL be faster than 996 Cups, but will run in the GT/GTP groups.

Part of the reason for this post is to share my excitement of my new build, part of it is to let others know about the spec this shop has created. Many others have shared their desire to get into a class leading 996 race car and commiserated on the untenable price points and lack of cars prepped exactly to class specs. This is the solution….the build outlined above is cheaper that every fully prepped 996 race car variant advertised on this site over the past 6 months….and it’s BRAND NEW and built EXACTLY TO SPEC! Those that want a GTB1 car or Spec996 can adjust the scope and save even more.

We already have about a half dozen similar cars in the POC, but I want to see more.

Contact myself or Dan at Speed Gallery if you want any more info; I could talk about his car all day! (NOTE: with the exception of possibly ingratiating myself to my wrench, I get nothing from him if someone here commissions a new build)

The car is still in the process of being built, so if you have any suggestions let me know!
Attached Images  

Last edited by mehoff; 01-08-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice start, keep us posted on the progress. Dan builds some very fast cars. It seems like there are a couple new creations of his at every POC event I go to.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 145 Posts

looks cool - just curious why you think that will be less to run then a 996 Cup?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
looks cool - just curious why you think that will be less to run then a 996 Cup?
Metzger engine rebuilds, trans rebuilds, more expensive PMNA parts, etc.

to the OP: so will this car be legal for Spec996 or not? IIRC that's what you were originally looking for.

anyway, keep us updated, looks like a good project.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I love a custom build, this should be a really nice setup...I wouldn't add up the numbers tho, unless you're really good at denile...

http://www.racingjunk.com/GT/1817722...Car-2007-.html
Old 06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
I love a custom build, this should be a really nice setup...I wouldn't add up the numbers tho, unless you're really good at denile...

http://www.racingjunk.com/GT/1817722...Car-2007-.html
That's the best part of this build.....the spec above has a signed contract for delivery that includes the cost. It is much, much, much, much less than the beautiful 997 in the link
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Looks like a great car. I would assume no race fuel which would be hundreds of dollars in savings each weekend.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 PM
BisimotoSales
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Fantastic looking project, thank you for sharing. If there is any performance parts we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to ask.

- Julio A.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
to the OP: so will this car be legal for Spec996 or not? IIRC that's what you were originally looking for.
As specified here, the car would not be legal. You can't use a C4 tub, and you can not connect the cage to the front shock towers. Lots of other stuff in the build sheet that is not spec that could easily be swapped out for spec, but the initial building platform, and the cage as pictured won't work in SP996
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff
That's the best part of this build.....the spec above has a signed contract for delivery that includes the cost. It is much, much, much, much less than the beautiful 997 in the link
Alllllllright Jack. We're all big boys here. Enough suspense. Just please tell us how much your build is costing.

BTW, I hope my old CCWs are going to a good home
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really, Jack Mehoff? That's as tasteless as my handle.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Really, Jack Mehoff? That's as tasteless as my handle.
LOL! At least neither of you is named Craven Morehead...
Old 06-11-2013, 12:21 AM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
Metzger engine rebuilds, trans rebuilds, more expensive PMNA parts, etc.

anyway, keep us updated, looks like a good project.
No, my original thought was that i could grab a spec996 on the cheap and build it out to this spec....i was very wrong. The PCA goal for this car was going to be GTB1, but that doesnt sound like a great place for 996's at this point

Originally Posted by Astroman
Alllllllright Jack. We're all big boys here. Enough suspense. Just please tell us how much your build is costing.

BTW, I hope my old CCWs are going to a good home
Your old CCW's are staying right where they are! Too much blood, $weat and tear$ went into the carrera to get rid of it. I'll most likely transition it over to an enduro and trainer car (to keep me sharp once i get complacent with the new tech)

Not comfortable disclosing price as i dont want to lock Dan into it. A GTB1 car will be cheaper than my spec, and i imagine a 3.4l variant spec996 will be $6-7k inside of that. Anyone that really wants to get into it is welcome to PM me with their number and i'll walk you through it.

Last edited by mehoff; 06-11-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Getting that kind of package for anywhere near that price point is a smoking deal, hell that's not far off a top end spec box build...

Love to see the progress!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Under $40K for that build is a SMOKING deal!

I'd love love to know more about the ABS system. Cost? What's involved to make the change?

Quick Reply: 996 GT Race Car Build