Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT Race Car Build

Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well inside $40K plus the cost of the donor car?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice build! What GT class will you be running in? I am guessing GT3. I look forward to running with you later this year when I finally get my new transmission installed. Please take it easy on me =)
It will be difficult to keep up with Duane's monster cayman and Eric's boxter monster if he is still in GT3!

Here is an idea for a LSD, go the wavetrac route. zero maintenance, life of the car.... I have one in my 993 and it is fantastic.
http://www.wavetrac.net/
I am thinking of replacing my 996 lsd with a Wavetrace when it is time to rebuild.

Looking forward to seeing your car!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Well inside $40K plus the cost of the donor car?
price includes the donor car.

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Very nice build! What GT class will you be running in? I am guessing GT3. I look forward to running with you later this year when I finally get my new transmission installed. Please take it easy on me =)
It will be difficult to keep up with Duane's monster cayman and Eric's boxter monster if he is still in GT3!

Looking forward to seeing your car!
I'm building it as a GT3 car with the hopes of running in GT4 (not sure we're going to make it though). I'm trying to avoid GT3 until I decide to go Motec so I can have ideal engine maps for each track. And honestly, I need seat time...I've never raced a modern car.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoff
price includes the donor car.
That's crazy! Good luck!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
That's crazy! Good luck!
Unbelievable...you couldn't build a decent E car for that price.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

So clean.....

Last edited by mehoff; 01-08-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Ok so I can get a fully built body in white build GT3 car, with a rebuilt 996 race motor and 997 box, with full cup body panels, Lexan, a moton/GT3 suspension, ready to race (I'm assuming WHEELS come on the car?) for under $40k?! Did you check the fine print?

I'll sign, show me where...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Watching this build and the track debut down the road!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Ok so I can get a fully built body in white build GT3 car, with a rebuilt 996 race motor and 997 box, with full cup body panels, Lexan, a moton/GT3 suspension, ready to race (I'm assuming WHEELS come on the car?) for under $40k?! Did you check the fine print?

I'll sign, show me where...
Just to clarify, it's a GT3 class (ours is 9.0:1), not a GT3 base car and the cup panels are replica (as mentioned in the build list).

I got a sweetheart deal on the motor because it was already built, but he is preparing to build these in scale so I would think that's about right.

If you're serious you should call Dan at Speed Gallery, or feel free to call me to get the full download. PM me for our respective cell numbers.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 198 Posts

Just to clarify, it's a GT3 class (ours is 9.0:1), not a GT3 base car and the cup panels are replica (as mentioned in the build list).

I got a sweetheart deal on the motor because it was already built, but he is preparing to build these in scale so I would think that's about right.

If you're serious you should call Dan at Speed Gallery, or feel free to call me to get the full download. PM me for our respective cell numbers.
If you want to turn a quick profit I'll buy the car from you for $40K
Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What oil solutions are you using? multiple scavenger pumps? Accusump?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
If you want to turn a quick profit I'll buy the car from you for $40K
Talk to Dan. If you are serious it will be well worth your time (though you already seem to have a comparable car).

I'm not his salesman nor have any financial incentive to push people into these cars, I am just incredibly excited about my new build after being incredibly frustrated with the secondary market for 996 race cars.

If you'd like to talk to me first and have me pass a spec by him I'm happy to help (I will accept scotch as a liaison fee!). PM me for the cell numbers.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 198 Posts

Talk to Dan. If you are serious it will be well worth your time (though you already seem to have a comparable car).

I'm not his salesman nor have any financial incentive to push people into these cars, I am just incredibly excited about my new build after being incredibly frustrated with the secondary market for 996 race cars.

If you'd like to talk to me first and have me pass a spec by him I'm happy to help (I will accept scotch as a liaison fee!). PM me for the cell numbers.
My car is similar and I know what it cost to build, which is why I'd be willing to buy yours for $40K. I just don't see how it can be done. A quick run down of parts, assuming careful shopping:

Donor: $10K (if you can find a messed up car with a good chassis)
Moton Club Sports $5.4K
CCW Wheels $2.7K
Used 997 tranny: $2.5
Rebuilt race motor: $10K
Lexan: $1K
Wing and uprights: $1K
Other bodywork: $1K
Cage, paint, other suspension bits, custom ABS etc.: ???

So we are up in the neighborhood of $40K before we even begin to talk about the extensive labor involved in a full strip, cage build, re-installation, and set-up.

I also like your build better than mine, the standard 3.6L engine is a much better choice for hp/wt ratio classes compared to the X51 engine. I just hope for your sake that you really have a firm contract and/or substandard parts are not being used, would hate for this to end with a big surprise for you when completed. It just seems to fall into the 'too good to be true' category.

So yes, I am serious, if you can deliver this car as stated for $40K I will immediately buy it from you. I'm just not willing to take the risk up front, but a completed car, count me in!

I definitely want to know more about this ABS system as well, the stock system is the Achilles heal of my build and the Motorsport version is something like $10K. How does this mod work and what does Dan charge for it?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^
My math exactly (a little closer to $45) but on e you crack the motor all bets are off.

Don't get me wrong and I'm not detracting, but that is an amazing deal. Perhaps your car is a lost leader to develop a market for this spec of car, but I can't figure out how that works any other way. A spec 996 is $25 on top of a solid donor with a good motor ($15-16?) I'd just like to know how to do it for the price point...

Anyway look forward to the build, that shell is pure sex...keep the pics comming and I'll shut up about the costs...

"The first thing you learn about fight club..."
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

This is an awesome project and please keep us posted on your progress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 GT Race Car Build