Sponsored by:

F355 Challenge experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default F355 Challenge experiences

I am considering picking up an F355 Challenge as a second track car. Anyone have any experience with the car? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great track cars! Enjoyable on tighter tracks as well as faster ones. Fully depreciated, so fairly reasonable entry.

Wonderful balance, very safe, good brakes that can be improved, decent power. Awesome sound that can be made even awesomer.

Running cost is mainly slicks. Don't break the transmission, or over-rev the motor.

You will love it.

Mark
Old 05-01-2013, 02:16 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 203 Posts

Agree with Mark, I love mine. I still giggle when I hear the engine rev. Fairly easy car to drive as well. Only thing I don't like is the lack of adjustability in the suspension settings. Sway bars are fixed and camber changes are made with shims, so difficult to fine tune without throwing off other settings.

Handling improves dramatically with addition of front splitter.

Dump the stock shocks and get adjustable remote reservoir.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

the running costs are quite high........a local racer still has his (for sale)......got tired of the costs and bought a spec miata....LOVES it....
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on how its maintained, driven, how often its run, etc. Its actually a robust car, but it is a ferrari and those motors require removal for some service/maintenance (its not often though). Brakes last a while too, tires are pricey but you can run DOT R's.

I designed/built a set of Ohlins for the 355ch we have, but the car has just been sitting for about 5 years...hoping to get it out this year between races with the other cars though. Its a fantastic car to drive, very responsive, a bit heavy but is extremely well balanced. We also had a 360ch at the same time, full gt aero package, and it was faster but twitchy and more difficult to drive at the same intensity.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the club racing venues for these cars and where can you find a good one?

JF
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993PET
What are the club racing venues for these cars and where can you find a good one?

JF
This is a series for retired Challenge cars: http://www.challengeclubracing.com/

I won the championship in the 355C class last year, running at Sebring, Monticello, Road Atlanta, and NOLA. The only event I am doing this year with them is at Road America during the FCA 50th anniversary event.

I have also run the car as ST3 with NASA and 10b (or something like that) with SVRA. Also has HSR and SCCA classifications.

I found mine on ferrarichat.com, good place to learn more and let others know you are in the market. Actually have 3 examples in my garage right now (only one is mine) but none are for sale.

Amazing car for the money. Prices should be between $45K - $60K.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
This is a series for retired Challenge cars: http://www.challengeclubracing.com/

I won the championship in the 355C class last year, running at Sebring, Monticello, Road Atlanta, and NOLA. The only event I am doing this year with them is at Road America during the FCA 50th anniversary event.

I have also run the car as ST3 with NASA and 10b (or something like that) with SVRA. Also has HSR and SCCA classifications.

I found mine on ferrarichat.com, good place to learn more and let others know you are in the market. Actually have 3 examples in my garage right now (only one is mine) but none are for sale.

Amazing car for the money. Prices should be between $45K - $60K.
Thanks for your reply. An interesting alternative to a 996 Cup. Do they require full support to race or is it possible to run one competitively without support at the track?

Thanks,

JF
Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Easily run without support. Generally speaking it's just tires, gas and brakes over the course of a weekend. Car can be set-up for either slicks or R compound. Brakes last a long time, both pads and rotors. Clutch replacement is a breeze as it hangs off the back of the engine with easy access. A few watch out areas:

* Wheel bearings - cost >$1K per corner and have been known to fail. The car I bought had a bad bearing when I took delivery Nov 2011. No issues since it was replaced. Good to carry a spare.
* Timing Belt Service - Engine out every 5 years. Expect $5K - $10K with the 'while your in there refreshes'
* Heat management - Engine throws off tons of heat and can cook the engine bay, blowing out headers and everything else. Take some time to put heat shields in, almost everything in my engine bay is covered in gold foil
* Alternators/Starters - My friend had multiple alternator issues before replacing the factory unit with one designed for NASCAR. I've also seen the starters fail frequently, I lost mine this season. Bring spares.
* Weird issues requiring engine drop - I lost the bolt that holds the crank to the engine, would cause a 'no crank' error at high rpm and cut power. Not sure how it fell out as the bolt is longer than the space leading to the fire wall. Hand to drop engine to replace a $3 bolt.

Another interesting observation. Park a 355C next to a Porsche and the Porsche will become invisible to anyone walking by.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM
986S_SuperSprint
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

95M3Racer,

I have been thinking of upgrading to Ohlins for the F355. What did you use for your design/build in regard to helper spring & main springs for Front & Rear? Any specs you want to share? With all the new technology with shocks I don't see why I want to use OEM F355CH shocks & springs + Suspension ECU? I almost purchased all those parts! All that cost would buy a newly developed product but, I don't see anything listed by Ohlins for the F355?

Ciao,

SRR

Quick Reply: F355 Challenge experiences