Sponsored by:

PRO MOTION 2 SIMULATOR FOR 997 CUP

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:35 PM
aracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRO MOTION 2 SIMULATOR FOR 997 CUP

We are seriously considering purchasing this simulator from CXC, having seen various u tube viewings. Problem is we need the machine to offer the exact replication of 997 cup car with sequential shifter. CXC is vague on this option for our particular use. ANYONE with familiarity with such a setup and it's advantages would be a significant source of initial understanding. As this simulator is fairly expensive, advice from users on rennlist in particular would be greatly appreciated and taken seriously. thanks-Mark-
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

With the appropriate "virtual" sequential shifter like Derek Spears http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/shifters or the Japanese Frex Shift+, I think a CXC unit would be worthwhile for 997 Cup and RSR folks to use to acclimate and become very competent at the shifting coordination, timing and function. I'm sure one of those could be integrated into the CXC unit.

Speak to Chris Considine at CXC, perhap Maher Designs or Jason Hart will pipe up, too.

I can tell you that from practical experience, simulators are very, very good these days and if you wreck the box on an unaided simulation (without auto-blip), you'll wreck it in real life.

A lot cheaper to go the sim route.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 PM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the frex stuff .http://www.frex.com/gp/
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, that's pretty schmick stuff. How much for a setup like that? Have to say that the demo video on their site could be a bit more convincing. Not sure how proficient that particular drover is?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Frex ain't cheap, but the SimConMotion platform was one of the first pro-sumer grade units, predating nearly everything out today. Their wheel is nice, shifter is excellent and pedals are very good. But there's a lot of good stuff out right now.

Takes a long time to get it, but the owner is responsive and puts out a nice product. Still a cottage industry, sort of like Fanatec, only smaller. Bigger than Derek Spears and Todd Cannon, though.

The Spears sequential better be mounted to a heavy frame... 44 lb spring pressure to actuate.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Hi Aracer,

We do have a few clients here that I'm sure will chime in.

Until they do, let me offer my help.

997 Cup Car:
A very close approximation exists in our current catalog. If this isn't enough, we can also create a custom car model to your exact specs as well. We do this all the time for racing teams.

Sequential Shifter:
We do offer a generic sequential shifter as a standard option. If you need something that is a direct copy of one in your race car, we can do that too. We can literally make anything you like. Budget is the only limiter.

If you find yourself in Los Angeles anytime in the future, I encourage you to come by our facility and try our stuff out. There is no substitute for seeing it first-hand and deciding what you need.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to save pennies... Those are cool.

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by CXC Simulations
Hi Aracer,

We do have a few clients here that I'm sure will chime in.

Until they do, let me offer my help.

997 Cup Car:
A very close approximation exists in our current catalog. If this isn't enough, we can also create a custom car model to your exact specs as well. We do this all the time for racing teams.

Sequential Shifter:
We do offer a generic sequential shifter as a standard option. If you need something that is a direct copy of one in your race car, we can do that too. We can literally make anything you like. Budget is the only limiter.

If you find yourself in Los Angeles anytime in the future, I encourage you to come by our facility and try our stuff out. There is no substitute for seeing it first-hand and deciding what you need.

Hope that helps!
What's a realistic entry price for 997 Cup setup? Anywhere in the Northeast to try one?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nizer
What's a realistic entry price for 997 Cup setup? Anywhere in the Northeast to try one?
Our simulators are bought like a car in that the base model starts at $45k, turn-key and ready to run. From there you just add (hardware) options that work for you.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM
MrMan
Intermediate

I really liked the CXC simulator when I used it. I had them mount a sequential shift but it was in iRacing. You will almost surely be using rFactor for any custom modded car like the 997 Cup, and rFactor may be more realistic in terms of shifting mechanics than iRacing, but what I found was that the sequential in the simulator didn't really help me at all.

The reason is that the things that make the 997 sequential tricky are probably not worth simulatiing. You can "miss" a downshift in real life in a cup car by some combination of clutch/throttle timing and the wrong amount of force. Or you can absentmindedly try to upshift without having the throttle open, which also is not good for it.

One of the common circumstances that caused me to spin my car last year was shifting from 4th down to 3rd, and holding the clutch in too long. This would upset the car.

But I highly doubt that rFactor will give you the realism necessary to give you a reason to think that by driving the simulated cup car you are also getting real practice with the shifting.

I could be totally wrong, but I do have experience with this so I thought I would offer input.

I think CXC makes a very good product and I think Chris and his team can deliver on the custom work you need, but you should do research on rFactor first - I didn't know what I didn't know when I started shopping for a sim and I would not rush in too fast.

Especially if like me you are needing this to really help you with real life driving or racing.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Simulation software like iRacing can in fact "miss" a shift if your clutch or rev matching techniques aren't correct. You simply have to turn off auto clutch and auto blip in the options to enable this. We typically leave these things on for quick demos though as it makes for getting up to speed much easier for beginners.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
MrMan
Intermediate

That's good to know. I have auto blip turned on but auto clutch off, because I have a blipper in real life.

Quick Reply: PRO MOTION 2 SIMULATOR FOR 997 CUP