Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LeMans 24-what's the best way to attend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts
Default LeMans 24-what's the best way to attend?

Wife and I are thinking of going to Lemans in 2013. Never been before...

What's the best way to experience it? Place to stay? Places not to miss, etc? Some have said to hook up with the Porsche Club do Great Britain?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bob, let me know what you find. I'm going in 2014 when Porsche is supposed to return to top flight and have a chance for overall.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Bob, let me know what you find. I'm going in 2014 when Porsche is supposed to return to top flight and have a chance for overall.
Charlie,

Planning the same thing for 2014 with a couple of buddies. Probably flying out of Newark. Let's see if we can coordinate our travel plans.

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I've been thinking of that too. May wait till 2014...or not. They moved the date to later June, so that might change things as I was planning to race VIR.

Never too early to plan. we were thinking of taking 2 weeks... to tour around Germany than down to LeMans.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way of doing Le Mans depends on whether there will be folk along for the trip who will not be obsessive about everything that goes on at the track and in town during the build up.

I prefer to stay to the south of the circuit on a farm that has catered for us for nearly twenty years - apart from complete silence and guaranteed sleep - this positions the non car buffs for exploring the Loire Valley and its Chateaux (which may be the 'price' you have to pay to go on the trip). There are plenty of gites around and small hotels/B&Bs to the south of the circuit. But book early, and keep talking to your hosts so they don't get pressured in cancelling your accommodation.

It is worth talking to Audi Sport NA to see if you can get some ticket/hospitality offers (even if you have to 'pay'), Audi hospitality is terrific and many layered. At the top level you will meet everybody in motorsport, manufacturing and even several heads of state.

Don't miss chances to drive sedately round the circuit beforehand, watch the interesting cars parade through Arnage, join in the fun in town after the drivers parade (you may find yourself sharing a dinner table with a team). Over the weekend itself, there are heaps of things to do, catch, suffer for in the middle of the circuit - the crepes are mega, Andouillette are mostly not to North American tastes.

Do not feel bad if you feel the need to sleep during the race, most of the drivers do, after all.

If its just a boy's trip then you can sleep in one of the camp grounds, you may never be seen again but you will be smiling. Again, book ahead. Joining the ACO isn't expensive (like the AAA).

I guess you could do it by train, but you would have too much difficulty getting around to the different venues.

People visiting Germany beforehand might like to factor in the Nuerburgring, Zuffenhausen, Leipzig (for a course) Sinsheim, Muhouse (Shremp collection) as part of the build up.

HTH

R+C
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Good info...... There's a plethora of amazing places within a few short hours of LeMan's to visit before or after the race if you're bringing any non-racing fans.

Sounds like 2014 should be a bit more interesting than 2013 for Porsche fans.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM
drdrank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and totally hoofed it. Joined ACO and booked tickets early. Flew to Paris, took train down, tent in my backpack. Logistics were pretty seamless other than the track is huge. I must have walked a marathon that day trying to see everything. A fun experience. Though, might do hotel if bringing a lady friend.

Quick Reply: LeMans 24-what's the best way to attend?