Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some safety questions (in light of Chin/RA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Unfortunately, a flat or close to flat side impact without a halo seat or GOOD window net can often result in the driver's head coming outside the car and contacting whatever the car hits... My friend Jerry Nadeau's life was changed from that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked with the [then CART's] medical director a few years ago. They had some really amazing data using accelerometers located in the earpieces of Indy car drivers they co-developed with the US Military. While I don't remember the specifics of the data, it was impressive, and the take-home message was this: You must support the hips, shoulder, and head equally well to avoid injury in side of offset impacts. With that, incredible G loads were survivable (much in excess of what was thought). All other considerations (including egress) are secondary. The head support is especially critical, as a race car harness keeps the torso in place, concentrating all of the force in the neck, if the head is unsupported. This goes double as the helmet increases the weight of the head.

A friend and fellow physician was killed a few years back in a minor (force wise) side impact, under yellow flag conditions. No head support, and shoulder belts mounted to the floor of his vintage Healy did him no favors.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I talked with the [then CART's] medical director a few years ago.
Was that Steve Olvey? Fantastic student of the sport (and a great doc).
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Only bringing this up because of a conversation I had with a doctor friend this weekend.

All of the guys on the forum who are on medications such as blood thinners be very careful on track. A small injury in a crash can lead very quickly to a life threatening situation. His words to me were he would never allow blood thinners on track if he were running a school because of the extreme risk they propose. So add this to your food for thought when thinking about your in-car safety equipment.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey

Originally Posted by dan212
VR - You are right.. I find Halo's a Chinese puzzle to get in. But I can dive out really quickly. I remember watching a video of some guy at VIR hitting oil at speed going into T1 and hitting HARD on the side. I think he would have been hurt without the Halo.
That was me? May as well share this once again for those who have not seen it. Just minding my own business taking it easy and WHAM! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GmI...7&feature=plcp

Plus 1 Halo Seat!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to the OP's direction.

There is certainly a natural progression in DE to Racing. As your education increases, your awareness of your abilities increase. Inherently your speed increases as well. That equates to you pushing those thresholds.

Once you become aware of this (usually after the 1st spin), thoughts progress to safety and what is next. This absolutely happened to me. I went from a Street/track approach to building a race car with proper safety equipment inside. It took me spinning a perfectly nice 996 (doing some damage), to realize that it was time.

I do not see any problem with a student that has properly thought about being safe. I will never criticize anyone who takes the proper road in this direction.

That said - if you have a Hans device and are using stock 3-point seat belts - there is no hope.

C.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Has anyone seen data to support this? Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen any data. We've all seen the data on the various neck devices in a front hit but I don't think I've ever seen any seat data. It's seems intuitive and logical, but I'd love to see some data. In particular, I'm curious because I would assume there is seat deformity that happens in a high G impact. I'm wondering if certain seat construction would be more effective than others.
I was going to press on this further as well but chose not to at the time. Maybe helmet and seat containment may be great up to a point, but at some level of deceleration (g-forces) the brain in the skull suffers regardless. I have a halo seat and there is still plenty of space for my head with helmet to rattle in between.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

I have this: http://www.isaacdirect.com

Not sure how well it works or if it in-fact is better in a side impact as the manufacturer claims. Apparently it was developed in the same lab as the HANS but never caught on because it attaches to the belts with a quick-release and therefore does not meet SFI spec which was written specifically for the HANS. Since I am not a racer and I own it I will continue to use it.

After reading this thread I am definitely going to get some side-nets. I have a window net but don't use it as I usually have the window up as is typical in the non-race run groups in our PCA club DEs. Anyone know the height and lateral spacing that is appropriate for side containment nets?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
...I usually have the window up as is typical in the non-race run groups in our PCA club DEs.
Really? How do the DE groups handle a "point-by" with the windows up??

Scott
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that matter how do you handle point-bys with a window net?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Wish they would let the folks that have race prepped cars use the turn signals to indicate passing side in a DE, so we can use the window net.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
Really? How do the DE groups handle a "point-by" with the windows up??

Scott
I'm with Scott. Every club here, and this is mandated in the track contract, requires that if there is a body in the seat, the window is DOWN...

And this for the last two decades. What region are you from, 74goldtarga?

That's easier. Usually, a properly mounted net has a triangular "vent window size" opening forward of the square body to allow that.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
winders
Race Car

It's easier than with a window up, that's for sure!

Scott
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

We use the blinkers as a pointer - cars without blinkers leave the windows open or wave their hand wildly. My point-by gestures are forceful and repeated - I wear red gloves.

It rains a lot and our spring / fall events can be in the 30s and 40s (plus rain). Having windows open isn't an option for a lot of people as a practical matter.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Every club here, and this is mandated in the track contract, requires that if there is a body in the seat, the window is DOWN...
I am pretty sure we have the same rules out here. At least every group I have run with requires windows to be down....except with Cup Cars.

Scott

Quick Reply: Some safety questions (in light of Chin/RA)