Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did not get black flagged last weekend (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I did not get black flagged last weekend (video)

Autobahn Saturday Race Video

Here's short clip example of me impeding my competitors progress last weekend. It won me the race, and my competitor called it "brilliant." He should know, as I've learned much of what I know about racecraft from him!

I won the pole by 1/100th of a second for that race, so I knew it was going to be a tight race, but that I had the upper hand at the start by being on pole, and needed to use it. There is nothing between our cars, or driving, so it's all down to who executes their racecraft better on a given day, and a little luck.

I'm the orange 944, Neal Agran (KLR on RL) is the yellow one. As the pole sitter, I can put myself (and place Neal), where I want. So I stuffed him way over to the outside of the track, and delayed my turn into T1 a bit to make sure I got a nice late apex, and run out of one, leaving Neal one car width on the outside, but not much more. I knew I was leaving the door open for Dan in the third qualifying spot (camera car) on the inside, but I qualified enough faster than Dan that I was willing to take that risk (the chess game thing). Was I deliberately impeding Neals progress? Absolutely!

After that Neal & I both ran consistent laps near or under the LR, and ended up finishing 3 seconds apart. Neither of us made a significant mistake, and we finished right where the first lap put us. When Dan gets a run on me later in the lap, I leave him room, but don't defend there, as the run onto the next straight is more important, and I know that he can't pull it off from that position, and defending there only lets Neal catch up to me. Another calculated decision. I love this stuff! This weekend it all went well for me, in the past, Neal has successfully held me off with similar tactics (some great video there). We have never wrecked each other, and the racing is epic!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Run Eric!

I look forward to the next time I can try to impede you on track.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched this earlier today and have been thinking about it since. That was brilliant!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool vid
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Exactly what our instructors at SCCA race school told us to do--you owe your competitor space on the track, but not prime real estate! Well done.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm going to have to pedal a little faster in qualifying next time.

BTW -- below are some gratuitous shots of the first row of the grid and the slickest new cars in our region. The blue and white car is the camera car (Dan Pina); the grey 51 car belongs to Sam Grant; the Martini car belongs to Dan Jauch (and all those stripes are painted and clearcoated -- no vinyl involved!); and the silver and yellow car belongs to Michael Palmer. All of them look awesome!!
Attached Images       
Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
teamking
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Autobahn Saturday Race Video

Here's short clip example of me impeding my competitors progress last weekend. It won me the race, and my competitor called it "brilliant." He should know, as I've learned much of what I know about racecraft from him!

I won the pole by 1/100th of a second for that race, so I knew it was going to be a tight race, but that I had the upper hand at the start by being on pole, and needed to use it. There is nothing between our cars, or driving, so it's all down to who executes their racecraft better on a given day, and a little luck.

I'm the orange 944, Neal Agran (KLR on RL) is the yellow one. As the pole sitter, I can put myself (and place Neal), where I want. So I stuffed him way over to the outside of the track, and delayed my turn into T1 a bit to make sure I got a nice late apex, and run out of one, leaving Neal one car width on the outside, but not much more. I knew I was leaving the door open for Dan in the third qualifying spot (camera car) on the inside, but I qualified enough faster than Dan that I was willing to take that risk (the chess game thing). Was I deliberately impeding Neals progress? Absolutely!

After that Neal & I both ran consistent laps near or under the LR, and ended up finishing 3 seconds apart. Neither of us made a significant mistake, and we finished right where the first lap put us. When Dan gets a run on me later in the lap, I leave him room, but don't defend there, as the run onto the next straight is more important, and I know that he can't pull it off from that position, and defending there only lets Neal catch up to me. Another calculated decision. I love this stuff! This weekend it all went well for me, in the past, Neal has successfully held me off with similar tactics (some great video there). We have never wrecked each other, and the racing is epic!
Can you describe what was going on at the 1:18 mark?

On my first look, it seemed like you chopped down on him pretty hard. But the wide angle lens makes it difficult to see where the cars were in relation to each other.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From my view point at 1:18 Eric in lead car did close down on the white camera car. However there was still room on the inside of the turn for both cars to go through side by side. NASA requires at least 3/4 car with on the inside in such cases where passing car has established some overlap.

I see 1 and 1/4 car width of room left. Looks like the white car's line was not taking him down to the curb and he had to correct it to prevent contact. Now the white car could have tired to stay closer to Eric in braking zone to try to prevent Eric in orange from initiating turn in in the first place. So in that case the trailing white car delays turn in to force the lead orange car to turn in after the passing car (treating it like really late apex turn). This ensures the passing car maintains the inside of the turn, but will slow down both cars. If you are seperated side ways by a car width it is easy for the lead car to turn in force you the inside like what happend here. Eric in the orange car took a risk that Dan in the white car would be able to make the corner without contact. A less driver than Dan might have slid right in to the side of the orange car. This is also where it pays to know the skills of your competitors and how well they can handle their cars.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

must...race....soon!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
must...race....soon!
How about next Friday?
--------------------------------------
Joe has it right. Dan is the passing car, and has the responsibility for a clean pass. I have to leave him racing room, but not the whole track. Dan is an ex-professional drift driver. I know he has the car control (and rule knowledge), to back out when he must. As Joe mentioned, I left him room per our rules (and a little more). Dan may have hoped for more room, but astutely realized that he wasn't on a line to make it stick with the legal room provided, and that is was his responsibility to back out. A dance well choreographed by clear rules.

Quick Reply: I did not get black flagged last weekend (video)