shuffle steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
That's pretty extreme. I shuffle on some corners but it's usually limited to moving my inside hand up a little so I don't end up crossing.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
My instructors at Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber were adament about it. Always stay in control of the wheel, never release the wheel, do not shuffle steer, do not let the wheel self-correct. I was on the wet skid pad there (it's not a skid pad, it's a slide pad, or an ice pad), and I released the wheel to let it self-correct in an on-purpose spin, and my instructor let me know in no uncertain terms, never release the wheel, always stay in control of the wheel. This was the initial class, not the Master's, so maybe they kept it simple.
With the exception of Hurley Haywood who strongly prefers that students shuffle.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see how anyone can critique the technique shown in the Jenks video w/o more info. If the guy turned a competitive lap then the technique works for him, If the guy was a slug maybe the shuffle contributes to his slow times. Having grown up on SP the guys lap sure looked smooth to me. The strong left hand grip (pull/push) was done at the appropriate places on the track.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
I don't see how anyone can critique the technique shown in the Jenks video w/o more info. If the guy turned a competitive lap then the technique works for him, If the guy was a slug maybe the shuffle contributes to his slow times. Having grown up on SP the guys lap sure looked smooth to me. The strong left hand grip (pull/push) was done at the appropriate places on the track.
From the looks of it he's crawling around. There's nothing to be gained by what he's doing, and it limits the amount of correction you can quickly put into the car. If you're not occasionally dialing in correction, drive faster or make your car less of an under steering pig.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Frank, in comparing our Lime Rock videos, I see that your hands are "calmer" than mine... What does that mean, collective rennlist spirit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjgvONnhYfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3TXwxcGIc
Nice Driving and racing. That was fun.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
From the looks of it he's crawling around. There's nothing to be gained by what he's doing, and it limits the amount of correction you can quickly put into the car. If you're not occasionally dialing in correction, drive faster or make your car less of an under steering pig.
Greg, how do you know he is crawling around without know the lap time? Without data I can't tell whether he was a slug or was competitive but he was smooth. If the guy has slow hands you are correct he might be limited in the amount of correction he can put into the car, but....
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Greg, how do you know he is crawling around without know the lap time? Without data I can't tell whether he was a slug or was competitive but he was smooth. If the guy has slow hands you are correct he might be limited in the amount of correction he can put into the car, but....
Because I can tell the car isn't moving around, it's easy to drive super smooth when you're slow. Also, it looked like he did a ~1:43, a SM does a 1:29 for comparison.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:32 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

You win, lap time based on vid is slow. Shuffle steering =

Quick Reply: shuffle steering