Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shuffle steering

Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I shuffle steer while parking.. Is this bad???
Old 05-03-2012, 12:40 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I shuffle steer while parking.. Is this bad???
Only in reverse...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "shuffle steer" that is universally condemned is the "lap shuffle" as described above.
I refer to the "shuffling" that is used in non-power steering cars as re-indexing. It is a single move of the hands to a different part of the steering wheel to allow more steering angle in tight turns. I recommend this only when necessary, but it is debatable. The advantage of never moving your hands on the wheel is that you have maximum latitude to counter-steer, and a much better sense of zero steering. The disadvantage is that some drivers lose sensitivity and/or comfort when they use more than 100deg of steering angle. The vast majority of drivers will get better performance from comfort than a marginal performance increase.
The comfort and sensitivity can be improved driving on the street, and then you get the best of both without compromise.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been instructed before, by NASA instructors to shuffle. They also said not to lock your thumbs around the wheel at the 3 and 9 positions. Just lay them on top of the wheel.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My instructors at Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber were adament about it. Always stay in control of the wheel, never release the wheel, do not shuffle steer, do not let the wheel self-correct. I was on the wet skid pad there (it's not a skid pad, it's a slide pad, or an ice pad), and I released the wheel to let it self-correct in an on-purpose spin, and my instructor let me know in no uncertain terms, never release the wheel, always stay in control of the wheel. This was the initial class, not the Master's, so maybe they kept it simple.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

No, no, no. Do not shuffle steer. Use this Chromed Skull Suicide **** instead and you won't need to work out...Installs in minutes.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^ I've been looking for one of those, do they come in carbon fiber?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DanS911
There is nothing wrong with shuffle steering, there is also nothing wrong with keeping your hands at 10 and 2, or 9 and 3 if you will. Those that feel the need to polarize themselves (and you know who you are) are short changing their students. Most of the cars we drive require a combination of all of the above.
Different tracks require a different amount of each of the above skills.

My pet peeve (or at least one of) is when students are told to shuffle steer when it is not necessary. If you can keep your hands at 2 and 10 in any given turn, any counter steering will be back to center whereas if you shuffle you will be countering to a VERY uncomfortable and unnatural position.
As to your question regarding exercising, that's easy!
When grocery shopping use both hands and WORK THAT CART!
In Homestead, Moroso and Sebring, there aren't turns where you need to take your hands off the wheel. Sebring's hairpin is the tightest but at least for me with my 993, no need to take the hands off.

And I know I'm the one who hates shuffle steering and always tell my students to not to do it (as long as you don't need to).
I've explained many times why you shouldn't do it so no need to do it again.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
...Releasing the wheel when you're into a spin is a GOOD technique which allows the car to straighten itself out. It's saved my sorry *** on more occasions than I care to remember....
I dunno about that... Well, at least that's not how I do it.
We used to practice spinning on frozen lakes in Finland (purposely getting the car to spin and then trying to correct it) and I remember this one rally driver given us a tip which basically was: you drive the car until you hit a tree or are back on the road (this was obviously rally related).
Meaning that in rally when you get off the road, and are going through the forrest, between the trees, you won't put "two feet in" and "close your eye", but you keep driving, steering, braking or accelerating until you manage to get back on the road again, or you hit a tree.

Same thing goes for that technique where you have to "wait in the middle of a correcting a slide" teaching technique, never understood it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
^^^ I've been looking for one of those, do they come in carbon fiber?
but of course.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I find that sometimes I will take one hand off the wheel and relocate it so I have more leverage (no power steering). Like coming around Big Bend at Lime Rock, I'll move my right hand up farther on the steering wheel.

Perhaps, to define shuffle steering, should we say that both hands need to be relocated from their original spot? Or does one hand quality?

Also, I've always used the seat position measurement of: with my shoulders all the way back in the seat, I can extend my arms and put my wrists on the top of the steering wheel.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Argh! To my own personal dismay, I was accused of shuffle steering in response to a video I posted. I would never have dreamed of it! So, for my own and everyone's edification, can we have clarification as to exactly what is meant by this term?
Frank, in comparing our Lime Rock videos, I see that your hands are "calmer" than mine... What does that mean, collective rennlist spirit?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
No, no, no. Do not shuffle steer. Use this Chromed Skull Suicide **** instead and you won't need to work out...Installs in minutes.
Want
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
but of course.

SOFA KING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Ugh. Not a big fan of that...

Originally Posted by Van
Frank, in comparing our Lime Rock videos, I see that your hands are "calmer" than mine... What does that mean, collective rennlist spirit?
That he is flowing the car better, with less drama & front tire scrub, and is faster?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ugh. Not a big fan of that...
+1

Why do that? I don't see the logic behind it. It's not like the steering input is so severe that the driver's hands would get in a bad spot.

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shuffle steering