Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Remote Cable

Old 02-25-2012, 03:33 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Here's the thing about Tony's wired remote.. Traqmate will try to fire up the camera.. Maybe it did. Maybe it didn't The actual amount of time required for the two bus pins to be shorted to turn on the camera is not specific. The camera will actually power up faster if it was powered up in the last 30 minutes. Takes longer when the camera has been idle. So turning on the camera. Pressing the button whatever is actually fuzzy.

You power up the camera by shorting two pins on the bus. For long enough and not forever. This is how the remote work. Traqmate does exactly the same thing. Thats how the front button works too. Another GoPRO quirk is that the camera actually powers up a few beats before the front LCD reflects this.

Only the camera powers the LED. So the LED on this wired remote gives absolute positive confirmation that the camera is on. You can press the button like a madman.. But the LED tells you that you actually turned it on. I found the LED crucial.

I never used the GoPro - just sat on the shelf - until I got this cable from Tony.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Only possible drawback I see is it looks like it plugs into the same connection as the GP extended battery. But the extended battery may not be necessary anymore since the camera won't have to run during all the paddock/grid boring time.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 PM
MariusRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this work with the hero 2?
Also is there way to control two cams with this?

Last edited by MariusRacer; 02-25-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I just got mine, with the LED, and it works like a charm. Thanks, Tony. Great idea!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:30 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes - Tony has a version that will power up two cameras with one button.

Talked to Tony about adding power through the cable. 12V vehicle needs to be stepped down to 5V.. He knows how to do this and what pins to use and might add it later if there is enough demand.

ChrisC is right - Limiting the wasted "ON" time saves battery, makes the power line or a bigger battery a non-issue. One battery is fine for any DE or Race day. I swap out the battery for the enduro. Big deal. You can always harvest a Car/USB cable and use that if you really want to supply power to the camera. Its not really necessary though and I never bothered to.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM
MariusRacer
Instructor

129.95 for two buttons plus led is really good. Pleasure to deal with!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
MikeJim
Pro

The factory GoPro harness bar mount was too jiggly for my taste, so I built a simple mount from PVC pipe. Cost about $2.50.

I used a hand drill to rout out a slot on the back of the GoPro case so the cable could plug into the camera back. It took about 10 minutes.

Then I tucked the cable under the center console and mounted the button in the pop-out delete beneath the hand brake. The brake protects the button from being accidentally bumped, yet it's easy to get to when you're driving at speed. Just put your hand on the brake and push the button. Never have to look down. I confirm the camera is rolling with a quick glance in the rear-view mirror.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, thanks for that.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Tony Oldham
Track Day

I have found out that more drivers want the remote start wired cable with the led lights. So
Note. I am in the process of converting the remote start without the led light to the lighted led ones so if you want one with out the led light it will have to be special made.
I can also make them so they can operate 2 cameras at once with one buttom. They will also be special made. I can make them any length that you want. I have tested it up to 14 ft. Please feel free to ask any ? You have. My email is. Ynotmotorsports@yahoo.com

Note Gen1 will be made on special request only that's the one without the led
Gen 2. Will be made with led light

Last edited by Tony Oldham; 03-04-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Updated cables
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Tony Oldham
Track Day

Default 5v input

Originally Posted by chrisc
Only possible drawback I see is it looks like it plugs into the same connection as the GP extended battery. But the extended battery may not be necessary anymore since the camera won't have to run during all the paddock/grid boring time.

I now have a cable that you can run external power from your lighter on your car 5v with a car adapter charger and a usb cable that works with the remote start
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Oldham
I now have a cable that you can run external power from your lighter on your car 5v with a car adapter charger and a usb cable that works with the remote start
Sweet!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Tony,
Can you post more info on the power cord?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Tony Oldham
Track Day

Default Remote start with led light and 5V cable

Heres the updated cable with led light

8ft cable that can cut the gopro hd and hd 2 on with a single button and and led light that shows if its on or not. push the button the light comes on the camera is recording. to cut the camera off push the button hold for 5 sec release the button camera cuts off 2 sec later the led light goes off. and i have added a usb cable that you can power this from 5V by way of a 5v car charger that you can get from radio shack.

you dont need a battery in the camera to run this camera with the 5V hook up
Note you have to have that adapter 5V car charger for this to work
I will answer any ? my email is ynotmotorsports@yahoo.com

These cables with the led and 5V Usb are being sold for $129.95 and they will be Special made

The cables with the led light I have on hand and are being sold for $79.95
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tony Oldham; 03-07-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: to add email address
Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Tony - looks great. email and PP enroute.

Guys, beside the very neat handbrake install pictured above (very james bond) has anyone found another awesome place for the button/led? Keen to keep cables invisible-ish so run along roll cage and then either into centre consol - inside ash tray or thru one of the blank window switches (do reg 996 back windows come down??) or along seat to fuse box area ie easy to see even in bright day time but out of normal eyeline. What say ye?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I put my button and light into the blank window switches behind the parking brake. No pics. Very easy and relatively easily reversible install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GoPro Remote Cable