Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 10:24 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pmason
Welcome neighbor, I'm next door in Bartlett.
Cool, thanks! I'm hoping to join you guys, but I don't feel like joining unless I feel real comfortable with the track. Since I checked in on this thread, you guys are usually running something different then what iRacing is for the week. I unfortunately don't have that much free time to get competitive in all the tracks for the week.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:38 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
A couple of questions...
What Nvidia card? (purchase date too, there was a bad batch)
What Driver?
Do you have Nvidia inspector?
Are you using HDMI or DVI?

I just got a 1070 card for my downstairs machine and was having all sorts of black screen issues on W10. Rolled back my driver to one I know works with my Titan upstairs I wanna say 376.33, made sure my HDMI was 2.0 set Nvidia Inspector to Max Performance and Single Monitor whereas it defaults to power save and all my issues are gone...
It's a gigabyte GTX970 that I bought in late 2014. The driver is the most current one, but that's a good idea to roll it back and see if it fixes it. I use triple screens with one DVI and 2 mini displayports. Don't have Nvidia inspector.

It was rock solid for 2+ years, but about a couple weeks ago this problem started. Benchmarks still work, it's just iracing that goes black after a few minutes. I've tried underclocking, improving cooling, unplugging other peripherals, fiddled with PCIe settings in the bios, but nothing makes a dent in the problem.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:45 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin I thought you were talking about the Rift, your triples are going black? In my case it's only the Rft that goes black but the monitor is still working. Actually its iRacing that goes black as if I wait long enough it actually goes back to the Oculis launch app. Or I can switch to the launch app.
Like you I have been running fine up to a few weeks back.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by krautcars
I'm in Bloomingdale. So I love it when you guys do the Autocrosses in Schaumburg. I'm the one in the blue C5 Z06.
My dad sometimes participates in a black 72 911. Way more street setup then Joe's brown early 911. Though my dad just picked up a 09 Cayman S from Portland and he thinks I should drive his Cayman instead of the Z06 for one of the events this coming season.
Oh cool ok!

I was the AX coordinator for a while.... I had the black 944 Turbo. Jim.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Cool, thanks! I'm hoping to join you guys, but I don't feel like joining unless I feel real comfortable with the track. Since I checked in on this thread, you guys are usually running something different then what iRacing is for the week. I unfortunately don't have that much free time to get competitive in all the tracks for the week.
Don't worry about it - just come out.

Our group has a pretty wide variety of abilities. Sometimes attendance is low, sometimes it's pretty good, we don't take it serious.... but attrition is usually a problem so you'll always stand a chance if you can keep it on the track.

Originally Posted by JustinL
It's a gigabyte GTX970 that I bought in late 2014. The driver is the most current one, but that's a good idea to roll it back and see if it fixes it. I use triple screens with one DVI and 2 mini displayports. Don't have Nvidia inspector.

It was rock solid for 2+ years, but about a couple weeks ago this problem started. Benchmarks still work, it's just iracing that goes black after a few minutes. I've tried underclocking, improving cooling, unplugging other peripherals, fiddled with PCIe settings in the bios, but nothing makes a dent in the problem.
Originally Posted by pmason
Justin I thought you were talking about the Rift, your triples are going black? In my case it's only the Rft that goes black but the monitor is still working. Actually its iRacing that goes black as if I wait long enough it actually goes back to the Oculis launch app. Or I can switch to the launch app.
Like you I have been running fine up to a few weeks back.
Hmmm.

I guess I'd start rolling back drivers first, since that's the easy thing to test. Go back a version or three.

My machine's been solid (knock on wood). Since it just "started happening" it's either a driver problem or an iRacing update issue.

Could try removing/reinstalling iRacing too.

Or (eeek!) wiping/reinstalling Windows.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:13 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

Could try removing/reinstalling iRacing too.

Or (eeek!) wiping/reinstalling Windows.
I did both of those already. I'll try the driver, if that doesn't work I'll go for the warranty on the card. It should be good for 3 years.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Oh wow you did the hard stuff first.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Oh wow you did the hard stuff first.
I did everything! It's basically a dedicated iracing machine, so wiping it isn't a hardship. I don't think it's the driver because my first step to fixing this was to update the driver to the current one. I'll try rolling back even further, but I'm not optimistic. This problem has the hallmarks of a hardware fault. No errors in the system logs, flawless performance until it goes dark, then I can still hear the engine and rev, shift, steer. A cold boot brings everything back.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:15 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I did everything! It's basically a dedicated iracing machine, so wiping it isn't a hardship. I don't think it's the driver because my first step to fixing this was to update the driver to the current one. I'll try rolling back even further, but I'm not optimistic. This problem has the hallmarks of a hardware fault. No errors in the system logs, flawless performance until it goes dark, then I can still hear the engine and rev, shift, steer. A cold boot brings everything back.
ok so as long as you don't reboot, the sim keeps running happily (albeit dark)?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Yeah everything runs with the monitors flashing 'no signal'.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 AM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh cool ok!

I was the AX coordinator for a while.... I had the black 944 Turbo. Jim.
Yes I recall. I haven't seen it in awhile. Lately you come and help out which is nice. So I think then Scott lets you drive his GT4 to make up for it. :-)
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Yeah everything runs with the monitors flashing 'no signal'.
Hmmm... Definitely roll back the driver. Let's also get Nvidia Inspector on the machine. With that we can hard code the power management settings of the card. I am using 376.33 with no issues, possibly give them a whirl. The latest Nvidia drivers definitely caused the same issues with my new machine downstairs but my machine upstairs which only allows manual Windows updates and I force myself into safe mode to clean out driver remnants in between each version was never affected by the issue. This was a really well known issue with Win8, Nvidia and Windows Updates as well...
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...n-updates.html

Just google Windows Update Nvidia Black screen.

My suggestion:
1, Follow the procedure in the link above.
2. Disable Windows auto-installing graphics drivers as part of update
3. Roll back drivers
4. Let's get Nvidia Inspector and hard code the power mgm't of the driver specifically when iRacing is running

I thought mine was HW as well, looked just like it until I went through the steps above and I have been fine since, hopefully it does the same for you!!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:35 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like i might be fit to race. What track this week? Practice tonight?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yes I recall. I haven't seen it in awhile. Lately you come and help out which is nice. So I think then Scott lets you drive his GT4 to make up for it. :-)
Haha - yeah, long story there. I sold the 944, had a custom Cayman built, and it ran into some issues. The shop loaned me a car to use that weekend, and IT ran into issues... so I was gonna pack up and head home, and Scott felt bad and let me use his car. Wasn't gonna say no! Apparently he's STILL mad I beat him in his own car....

This year I plan/hope to be out there again. Bought my wife a new Boxster in the fall, so she'll be there. Worst case I'll drive her car or maybe I'll run the Cayenne for fun...

Originally Posted by hsmith
Looks like i might be fit to race. What track this week? Practice tonight?
Practice tonight. Doesn't look like a track has been decided on yet.

I'll look through some results and make an executive decision, then set it up.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok... this week's race scheduled.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread