Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
not a fan of fixed, setup on mustang's are all over the board.

using Chicane before the Keyhole or no?
full course (no chicane).

it's actually going to be the baseline setup. here's the setup dilemma: if we do fixed and borrow a setup from the board, people complain. if we make it open, and someone has a hot setup that they don't share, people complain.

this way it sucks equally for everyone

alternatively, we do open setup but everyone MUST share their setup. obviously that would have to be on the honor system since (AFAIK) there's no way to police that on iracing.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'll be glad to share but I get the fixed deal too

see you guys in a bit
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Ha, I bitched about fixed setup then beat my own personal best in that car (only by .05 but still better). I also had home track advantage last night

I painted "My Little Pony" pink as a joke and she's had a winning record ever since. Paint job is staying.

See you guys next week.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:11 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Good racing Andy. You certainly had the pace. I was making improvements in my lap times, but not fast enough to compete.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

that race reminded me why I sold my Mustang GT five years ago.

iracing needs a 997 cup car. or an RSR. or a 991 cup car.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 80 Posts

OK, I got my new PC and iracing installed. I've practiced a couple sessions with the Miata Cup and Solstice, but I am obviously still 3+ secs off pace even at Lime Rock and Laguna and I'm having far too many offs. Still have to learn how to optimize graphics setup and then start learning car setup. I located some of the advice threads on the iracing forums so I will use those to start climbing the learning curve.

I doubt I will ever have enough free-time to actually get good at all this. But it is fun so far.

Do you guys have any time-saving tips to shorten the learning curve for a newbie? It's overwhelming at first glance. I would love to get up to speed so I can join you guys without being a rolling chicane.

Thx.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

First thing to start with is to make sure that you minimize input lag and keep a decent frame rate. After that, it's just turning laps and using strategies that work in real life. Start with baseline setups and don't try to fiddle with making setup changes until you are sure you know what you need and then only make incremental changes to one variable at a time.

I like to have my split time showing me my time relative to optimum sector. That helps me figure out what works in certain corners more quickly (Tab button 3 times). Focus on exit speed and hitting your apex marks always, every lap. Consistency is more important than raw speed IMHO, though both is best!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
First thing to start with is to make sure that you minimize input lag and keep a decent frame rate. After that, it's just turning laps and using strategies that work in real life. Start with baseline setups and don't try to fiddle with making setup changes until you are sure you know what you need and then only make incremental changes to one variable at a time.

I like to have my split time showing me my time relative to optimum sector. That helps me figure out what works in certain corners more quickly (Tab button 3 times). Focus on exit speed and hitting your apex marks always, every lap. Consistency is more important than raw speed IMHO, though both is best!
I agree with all of this.

also, find a car you're good at (or enjoy driving) and drive the snot out of it at first, gain confidence in that car and then switch to other cars. it's tempting to go nuts and race every car/track combo, but you'll be good at none of them and get frustrated.

also, focus on your irating # more than your license.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
that race reminded me why I sold my Mustang GT five years ago.

iracing needs a 997 cup car. or an RSR. or a 991 cup car.
+1 That was my first time in the Mustang, so I was having a hard time rotating it. Couldn't get it to trail brake, and finally figured out towards the end of the race that I was better off just plowing into the turn and exiting with throttle steer What a brick that thing must be in real life!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
+1 That was my first time in the Mustang, so I was having a hard time rotating it. Couldn't get it to trail brake, and finally figured out towards the end of the race that I was better off just plowing into the turn and exiting with throttle steer What a brick that thing must be in real life!
yeah the sad thing is iracing got the handling down perfectly!

good thing they don't have a "rain" feature...
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I would love to see a cup car even a 996 cup would be outstanding. I read a post somewhere about how it takes maunfacturer cooperation to get all of the vehicles modeled and that was the reason there is currently no cup car in the game.

The mustang's are a bucket to drive, howevever no matter what series I jump into I've yet to find one that is as fun or competative as the mustang's. 15-25 car fields regularly, there's always someone faster than you to chase and always someone right about the same speed as you to really have a good run with. I actually jump back in Miata races from time to time for that very same reason.

I don't particularly care for any of the open wheel stuff in the game. The C6R is fun to drive but also pretty darn fast. They need a production based series / car like a cup car to bridge the speed gap between the horribly slow but fun mustangs (I can run those same lap times in my street car at Mid Ohio) and the purpose built C6R and Ford GT.

As far as tips for picking it up quickly, Seat time is key. One other thing that helped me was I would jump into open practices find the quickest guy in the session and watch his in-car for a few laps to see what they were doing and where I was giving up time. I also agree with find one car that you really like and focus on that car first. Once you get most of the tracks down in that car then try other stuff out. It'll save you money too. All the open wheel cars I purchased I never use.

Andy
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When's the next hosted race?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:05 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
When's the next hosted race?
every Wednesday. practice starts 7:30pm Eastern (4:30pm Pacific), qualifying 8:30, race 9:00.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
4WHLDRFTN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
every Wednesday. practice starts 7:30pm Eastern (4:30pm Pacific), qualifying 8:30, race 9:00.
track,car,host name,password?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4WHLDRFTN
track,car,host name,password?
car and track are different every week; sometimes it's planned, sometimes there's a request, sometimes it's a game time decision.

host is usually Chris Considine, sometimes it's Chas Lawrence. session name is CXC Simulations Racing League. password is mrroblay

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread