Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?

I will be replacing my truck soon, probably next year.
I want some opinions on Single Rear Wheel vs Dual Rear Wheel.

I'm definitely getting a Diesel.

The truck will be used primarily for towing, but occasionally it will need to move something in or out of the city, small, tight streets, parking decks and lots.
How big of an issue will the width of the extra wheels be? Is the safety of DRW worth the size/maneuverability penalty?

I have a friend who trades his DRW at 2 years or 50k. I'm thinking about buying his current unit, but the DRW may be overkill and size has me wondering if I may regret buying so much rig.

Help me out with some pros and cons and experiences on the road.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been considering the same when time comes to replace my current Suburban 2500. I've come to the following conclusions:

SRW: You plan to never go bigger than 1 car enclosed trailer, say up to 28 foot length.

DRW: You plan to eventually use a 2 car trailer, whether tag or gooseneck hitch.

At some point, I would like to pull a trailer big enough to haul my wife's and my car, so that she doesn't have to drive separately. But in terms of otherwise using as a simple pickup truck, the DRW can be more cumbersome to drive & park. Coinsequently I'm planning to eventually go with a DRW. But if decide at some point that we don't need to trailer 2 cars, I'd go with a SRW.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you pulling for a trailer? That is a the first question. My first impression is you should get a SRW truck. But it comes down to the trailer.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a DRW will better for towing a big trailer and carrying more payload. However you will always need to realize the rear wheels are there. What it comes down to is like Tony said. How big of a trailer? Also remember most if not all DRW's are 8foot beds (exception is some Dodge mega cabs). You can get a 3500/350 in SRW and 6.5 foot bed. The longer bed = longer wheelbase and better for towing heavy loads, but is harder to maneuver around. Again how big of a trailer and what will you carry in the bed.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Size and style of the trailer is part of the dilema. I want an enclosed to store track only items. I will not need a 2 car setup, but I want to bring a padock bike, the car and all the other crap that we just HAVE to have.
I'm considering a goose neck because I think it is less likely to be stolen (that means DRW for sure). I can't imagine pulling a trailer longer than 28'. Gooseneck is not a must.

Most DRW have the long bed which I don't really care for. The thing looks like a train from the side.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Size and style of the trailer is part of the dilema. I want an enclosed to store track only items. I will not need a 2 car setup, but I want to bring a padock bike, the car and all the other crap that we just HAVE to have.
I'm considering a goose neck because I think it is less likely to be stolen (that means DRW for sure). I can't imagine pulling a trailer longer than 28'. Gooseneck is not a must.

Most DRW have the long bed which I don't really care for. The thing looks like a train from the side.
Well stay with SRW and 6.5 bed. You can get a 3500 SRW that is no bigger than typical 1/2 extended cab. I pull a 24 ft enclosed with 2500 SRW extended cab short bed and have zero concerns towing a 28 ft enclosed with this. Heck even a 30 I would be ok with. The only issue with gooseneck is that it can be more complex with a short bed. It can still work, but you would a 3500 to make sure you don't over load a 2500. Alot of 2500/250's have suprisingly low payloads with a diesel motor. The reason is diesel is so heavy it sucks up GVWR. My 2500 has a 3300lbs payload becuase it has a "light 8.0L V10".

Anyway I think the DRW is overkill. Now if you have you heart set on a 36-40 ft gooseneck then go DRW all the way and don't look back.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Based on your criteria, the srw is more than up to the task and much easier to manuver in tight spots.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a duallie for a few years, hauling my 20' enclosed CargoPro. It was a 2000 F-350 crew cab with the (8') long bed. It was overkill but fun for a while.
I bought it on a whim; it was my first truck, used but in wonderful condition, and I just had to have a duallie. Why? David E. Davis wrote onetime that everyone should own a duallie at some point, and for some reason I took the bait.
The duallie was great for towing - unbelievable stability and had a huge (38 gallon) tank, which I really needed. But way too big for anything else. Laughably big. I can't imagine driving it around your neck of the woods.
I replaced it with a 2008 F-250 crew cab short bed, also a diesel, which is much nicer to drive around suburbia and to the track, but it's still big. Big enough to haul the same trailer with great (but not as great) stability; as I mentioned on another thread, I use stabilizer bars with it. Maybe not necessary but you can never have too much stability.
The 2008 is a more modern truck and much better NVH; I am less wired when I get back from a long haul. I suspect modern duallies would also be better in terms of NVH.
I see it this way - if you don't need the dual rear wheels, don't get the duallie, as the extra width, worse ride (compared with SRW), and extra cost (including tires and maintenance) are an aggravation. Oh, and extra cost of purchase. Get a bigger tank if you can; mine is 28 gallons and I'd like more.
Unless you really want a duallie, like I did.
BTW, the short bed was a mistake (query - why buy a big truck with a smaller truck bed. Makes no sense at all). I did because I bought the truck when Ford was giving them away (October 2008) and that was the only choice I had; it was a mistake - I should have looked harder.
But I really like the truck otherwise.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Single wheel is going to look funny. I'd recommend at least one per side.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Single wheel is going to look funny. I'd recommend at least one per side.
You know, I thought about that as I was typing; which smarta$$ will be the first to point out that the truck rear axle is either dual or quadruple wheeled, but decided to stay with the accepted jargon.
But I'm in a good mood; transmission is back in the track car and I am headed to the Glen Thursday.
I forgive you.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Rick, it sounds like a SRW crew cab short bed would be a good choice.
I had a 97 F250 Powerstroke, customized by Centurion, that was the family work vehicle before the diesel Excursions....never had an issue.
The twin tanks were nice, but the 44 gallon Excursion tanks are very nice for range.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Get a long bed. The 18" saved by getting the short bed does not really help around town or parking and the extra bed length is quite nice to have and the longer wheelbase is better for towing.

Scott
Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

We have a 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Short Box SRW and a 2008 3500HD Crew Cab Long Box DRW.

The Dually tows better and is smoother on the road but it is rather big.

It tows the 28' ATC Quest along with various fifth wheels unbelievably well. Unloaded it is smoother on the road than the 2500. As a towing vehicle it is superior. Around town, not so much.

I really like the dually though.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Well here in fly over land, I have seen more then a few DRW trucks over they years with fiberglass rear fenders with impact damage. I suspect when not towing a trailer (car, horse, lawn care, construction equipment, etc.), there is a higher probability of snagging them in "normal" driving.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Quick Reply: Another Truck Thread: SRW or DRW?