Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering moving from a cab (993). How stiff is a 993 Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Considering moving from a cab (993). How stiff is a 993 Targa?

So I've had a 993 cab for about 10 years. Love it. Not worth getting into the black hole conversation about cab vs. coupe for street. Either are fun.

Let me admit that I've never explored a targa. So this could be folly. But I'm thinking that perhaps it could be a nice compromise between cab and coupe?

I'd love to keep the cab, or have 2 (coupe and cab), but I live in NYC and having 2 cars isn't feasible. I'm considering changing from a cab to a coupe for 2 reasons:
1) Safety of my 4 1/2 year old son riding in the back a few times a year
2) Safety of me on the track running in Red (just DE, not club race)...the rollbar only helps so much when it is needed the most
3) It feels like I might be at a point in driving where the added rigidity of the coupe will be noticeable. I've long felt that the capability of any 911 far exceeds the capability of a DE driver...until a point. Perhaps I've reached that with the cab.

So, how feasible would a targa be for NOT club race, but Red level DE?

Thanks,

Last edited by JPS; 06-05-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:05 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in hearing the gurus' opinions too
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The 993 Targas had troubles with sealing, and roof alingnment, and are apparently a pain to fix. The 996/997 design is better, & more reliable.

There is extra weight up high, but stiffness in the 996 generation was claimed to be equal to the coupe. My 996 Targa feels very rigid, and is very nice to drive. While I'm sure you're giving up something d/t the weight up high, it's not perceptable to me at a DE pace. It would not be my choice for a race car platform, but makes a nice compromise DE/daily driver, IMO.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Far from a guru, but i have slept at a Holiday Inn Express.....

And tracked a 997 Targa. IMO, you wont like it. Note - I see 993 in your sig line. You don't say which model. I can only speak to the glass roofed targas (someone else can speak to the pre-glass).

The problem with the glass roofed versions is that the extra weight is over your head. At least with a cab the same is below shoulder level. The difference is noticeable having driven/been in both.

We didn't 'go out', we 'set sail'. We didn't 'turn', we 'tacked'. With all the weight 'astern' and 'amidships/aloft', changes in track camber and altitude would require 'trimming' of the suspension to maintain 'bearing' and 'heading' and reduce 'yaw' lest one 'capsize'. This would often allow the 'following sea' to overtake inducing much consternation from the 'helm'....

Anyways, i think you get the drift...

Now if you don't expect too much on the track, great motoring. I just thought I was killing it when DEing.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest not getting a 993 targa for track use. As mentioned they leak and will not be as safe if you have a roll over. Newer models 996/97 are def better.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly correct hombre!

Originally Posted by bobt993
I would suggest not getting a 993 targa for track use. As mentioned they leak and will not be as safe if you have a roll over.
Amigo of mine bounced his a few times and ended up inverted. The roof crunched down pretty good... enough to scare him away from ever getting another one.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thx guys. I clarified the title. Can't afford a 997 targa, and no offense...I know the 996s make a ton of sense right now on paper...more HP, roomier for family, good on the track, all that...but they just don't move me like the 993 does, or even the 997 for that matter.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

993 targa is built on the cab chassis so all the negatives of the cab plus some extra weight up high and leaks and ratlles. but great looking car!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't do it. I tracked a 97 993 targa and the flex was very noticeable. Not good.

Quick Reply: Considering moving from a cab (993). How stiff is a 993 Targa?