ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Peter, this is exactly what I need to learn to do, as well, and I take your point that hitting the apex correctly leaves you the most room at track out, but can you explain the dynamics of the sentence that I've bolded below a little more?
Dave, in his response below, illustrates the goal well.

I think many folks mistake rotation as a transient, to-be-initiated-and-then-stopped-right-away state. This is NOT true. Rotation is the KEY to getting the car POINTED in the right direction ASAP. Through longer corners, it should be sustained and even, optimally.

In fact, the definition of a perfectly set up car (and I'll get to the reason why set up parameters differ between drivers momentarily) is one that requires the least steering input throughout the entire cornering phase, but especially early on and at exit.

For example, a proper handling (or properly set and timed entry speed) car requires the minimum steering lock to begin turning (or rotating on a central axis, looking from above) by itself, then that rotation is maintained, moderated, increased or decreased by the small throttle inputs that Dave alludes to below. When that's not sufficient, you can alter the slip angle (thus grip level) of the front with small steering corrections, in addition to the throttle modulation.

The reason why this is SO difficult is that the proper timing, juxtaposition and "blending" of all the vector forces on the car must be matched by the drivers inputs on the pedals and at the steering wheel. If it were a static environment (a car that never left the setup pad or scale platen), we'd be just fine!

A driver that is more aggressive and comfortable with an increased initial yaw rate inherent in initiating rotation at higher speeds (or in a shorter distance or space of time) requires a different, often more benign "platform" (springs for balance, shocks for rate of weight transfer related to the spring energy absorption and release and bars to govern the rate and resistance to roll moments, of course all balanced front to rear) than someone who might be more tentative and gentle in their approach.

That's why I have trouble with folks that have pros "set up" their cars because their timing, aggression and level of commitment to throttle, brakes, steering and yaw generation (rotation) is often completely different than the client's...

Where pros are great is to validate good setups and diagnose evil ones...

I'll noodle on that bolded section you cite and please, come back with more specific queries.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
you are not doing enough rotation early enough in the corner, thus instead of unwinding steering as you apply power on the way to WOT, you are holding (or even adding) steering. This will never end well IMO. You need to focus on starting the rotation sooner and getting more of it done before you even get to the apex. This will enable you to begin unwinding steering at or even slightly before) apex, which will give you a MUCH more stable race car, enable WOT sooner, nearly eliminate any Code Brown moments of lurid power oversteer and make you overall faster and more relaxed in the car.
^^THIS^^
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This tells me that you are not doing enough rotation early enough in the corner, and thus instead of unwinding steering as you apply power on th eway to WOT, you are holding (or even adding) steering.
Def cases of holding steering, up to 45 degrees worth on some corners, especially faster ones

This will never end well IMO. You need to focus on starting the rotation sooner and getting more of it done before you even get to the apex. This will enable you to begin unwinding steering at 9or even slightly before) apex, which will give you a MUCH more stable race car, enable WOT sooner, nearly eliminate any Code Brown moments of lurid power oversteer, and make you overall faster and more relaxed in the car.
I'm trying to improve all around - tip-toeing to the limit has worked well for me so far. However, while racing you're often denied the luxury of having your car exactly where you want it (cause your competitor is occupying that piece of race track lol) so I also want to improve my overall car control as well as line discipline and technique; which means pushing it over the limit, holding it there, recovering, and so on. Also, as has been mentioned earlier (to me!), in endurance racing you often have to deal with a handling problem and need to be able to drive around it.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
...In fact, the definition of a perfectly set up car (and I'll get to the reason why set up parameters differ between drivers momentarily) is one that requires the least steering input throughout the entire cornering phase, but especially early on and at exit...
Hence the reason for "loose is fast"??

Great, great posts guys. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Hence the reason for "loose is fast"??
Exactly!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
You guys are awesome. Thanks!
best.
thread.
ever.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Thank you. Glad it is of value!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you. Glad it is of value!
Oh my, but it is indeed. I already feel faster.

And feelings matter.

Nah, really, thanks for all ya'll do.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Oh my, but it is indeed. I already feel faster.

And feelings matter.

Nah, really, thanks for all ya'll do.
Cycling coach of mine used to say, "if you look good you feel good, and if you feel good, you go fast".
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Cycling coach of mine used to say, "if you look good you feel good, and if you feel good, you go fast".
The mind is a most powerful resource and, properly conditioned, trained and focused, a very good director of successful outcomes!

I tell all my clients, ALL drivers bleed red! The best put their pants on the same way you do in the morning...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
That's why I have trouble with folks that have pros "set up" their cars because their timing, aggression and level of commitment to throttle, brakes, steering and yaw generation (rotation) is often completely different than the client's...

Where pros are great is to validate good setups and diagnose evil ones...

Great comments here.

I've had Dave and Viking help me with setup on my SP996. The exercise has been to have us all drive the car, and compare notes on how it is handling. Then we go about making adjustments to get the car the way I like it. Hearing their comments on how the car is acting has helped me validate my observations, enabled me to become more aware of what the car is up to as I'm driving it. This has improved my ability to provide feedback to Viking for setup, and it's improved my driving.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you taken the martini out of the cup holder yet?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Why the hell would I want to do that?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
exactly
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
exactly
The heck with the car.

All ya'll are well balanced!

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH