Sponsored by:

Spec Racer Ford

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Also the fastest car at the runoffs was an 11K dollar RF92 so you can go fast in the older cars and cheaper cars.
That was just priceless, wasn't it? Though to be fair I believe that was an ex Jon Horgas car so while maybe it's resale value is lowish, it had $N0,000s of development time and dollars I'm guessing!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier it was mentioned they require a specific driving style do to limited set-up flexibility. What style is this, corner entry momentum with smooth early steering inputs and good lines? I wouldn't think this would be a tosser.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Being in a spec class the idea of momentum is accentuated but IMO all cars are momentum cars relative to other cars in their own class. The cars do need to be slipping and sliding a bit to really rattle off the fast times with the current tires. Part of the reason they are so fun. I'll see if I can round up a fast guy running a fast lap with some footage of the hands.

Originally Posted by BrandonH
That was just priceless, wasn't it? Though to be fair I believe that was an ex Jon Horgas car so while maybe it's resale value is lowish, it had $N0,000s of development time and dollars I'm guessing!
Nope, not an ex-Horgas car. Ex-Bruce Lindstrand. I almost bought it a year before Reid picked it up. In hindsight I wish I had but it was about 3K more than I wanted to spend at the time and I really didn't want to beat up that car as my first open wheel car. It has a good bit of time figuring out the nuances of the front suspension (mono-shock) but nothing on the order of 10K+. The car is just REALLY slippery in a straight line and Reid is really hustling it around the course. I don't think the car would do as well at a course like Mid-Ohio. But yeah it was priceless to see that car sitting on pole. Bad race luck but he'll only get better which is fun to watch.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

http://vimeo.com/15207902

here's one at WG. You can see Pat being nice and smooth but the car is still moving around and sliding a bit.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg

For my "maiden journey" I was upshifting at about 5,200 (why waste the good revs at a DE) and it didn't seem like there was a heck of a lot more happening between 5,200 and 5,800.
FWIW, I shift at 5400 except the upshift to 5th, then at 5600.

Jason
Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by renvagn
Earlier it was mentioned they require a specific driving style do to limited set-up flexibility. What style is this, corner entry momentum with smooth early steering inputs and good lines? I wouldn't think this would be a tosser.
Depends on the driver. This year's national champ is a tosser, and I don't mean that in the British sense of the word. The guys that finished 2nd and 3rd at the Runoffs are both smooth. I drove somewhere in between.

Jason
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

here's one at WG. You can see Pat being nice and smooth but the car is still moving around and sliding a bit.
Lol...Pat, aka "The Cookie Man" !!!

Note ~10:25 getting woofed by a twin-engined SRF. Gotta have your buddies in the pix in SRF.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
MLIN
Instructor

You can do the top end alone or the entire engine. Here's the rebuild sheet. I beleive the top end rebuilds are about 2K

http://www.sccaenterprises.com/SRFCu...e%206_2010.pdf
Thanks, good to know!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

[
url]https://www.paypal.com/us/fq/ac=AwIpJ0.WtmsX9Gn6wqTJVhJeL6e9fizj6GpWxZFaRXQUvXaSG0UepYWEkfFq-B9O95zFeGWsWMRSLg&t=pr&ifl[/url]
Nice video, looks like a blast. Driving style is pretty much what I would have thought. Looks like they really stick. 1:20 for laps is not too shabby. Is there much aero advantage or is it all mechanical?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

All mechanical grip. The car has lots of grip compared to most cars out there.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

There's a potentially disastrous pass on an Integra at about 14:00 into the video.

I was surprised to see the speed the SRFs carried.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Joe,

Where is the #533 video? Hector and I are trying to find some online! Have you posted any from any of your events?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I've been bad about uploading. Big reason is the files are huge and I haven't taken the time to cut them down to the right size for vimeo. I'll try and get one up while I'm on vacation this weekend. I'll see if I can find the one of you at Daytona.

Might have someone ineterested in your motor by the way. My dad has a customer who might have lunched his 996 motor and the 997 would be a good fit and good price.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a great thread. Anyone care to update their posts re the various classes to reflect changes? Giving serious thought to getting back into a bespoke race car. Started in a $2000 basket case Lola T200 FF, raced various showroom stock and Renault Cup for a while and did some nationals in a friend's Sport Renault. Been semi-retired from the track for quite a while. I gotta say Brandon's RF98 is awful tempting
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
This is a great thread. Anyone care to update their posts re the various classes to reflect changes? <snip> I gotta say Brandon's RF98 is awful tempting
We have been out of FF for a year now since my son went off to college and pressure from spouse and business partners means I can't get in it). Last years' season in F1600 was interesting; it was very much populated with young-gun hotshoes coming out of karts, several from Europe and Australia, and all season long laying down astounding lap times. Clearly the Honda based cars are the future although Kent cars were still very competitive see the results of FF veteran Art Foster. In SCCA where Honda still runs a tougher restricter plate, the old Kent engine may still be the ultimate setup, albeit only the best Kents with the most refined setups. (ie, the average honda is going to beat the average Kent, where the best Kents likely have a few more HP than hondas)

While I hesitate to use the words 'the best,' I certainly am convinced FF is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the true full racecar experience. Good sized fields, extreme tunability (one FF guy on apex has sig line: 'spec classes are like communist racing"), lap times only exceeded by the heaviest iron in sports car racing...

The car we are selling is a classic example of a package which has had an extremely high level of development. It's not easy to sell a full-on racecar in the best of climates, so I've been fending off many offers to buy components. Parting it out would be heartbreaking but ironically the parts (engine/data/suspension spares/bodywork) have a much higher market value than the package...
Attached Images  

Last edited by BrandonH; 12-20-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Spec Racer Ford