Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Racer Ford

Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Did several arrive and drives about 15 years ago with SR (first Renault, then Ford) , then did shifter karrts with my boys for several years until they got old enough to race cars. Did SM for about 4 years- fun at first but I too found out it really wasn't that "spec." My boys were pretty good at it and kind of took wind out of the sails when they'd find at the end of the year the guys they'd be running against (and beating sometimes) were running illegal suspensions all year... then when they'd win one, they get protested for some bull**** reason. Sold the SM and got a SRF last fall. Only had time to run it once this year but was a LOT more fun than the SM- more torque, open cockpit, a real racecar, etc etc. Only downer is the engine sound- they sound like a tractor.
Unfortunately with other commitments I may sell it this winter as I don't have the time to race it and justify the cost of just having it sit there, though it is fun to sit in...
1+ SRF is a true spec class. close knit community and respect for the competition.

if you run long enough you'll appreciate getting beat by pure skills and preparation VS the outright cheating that occurs in so many other spec classes.

I think its a group you would want to run with...
Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I think they have good power for the tire. 20 more hp than the Continental and a little bit bigger tire. While the tires are slightly bigger than the FC they are stuck on the 45 compound which isn't nearly as sticky as what you can run in the Continental class.

The transmission was a weak link. Right now they opened up the issues to open source and those problems should be taken care of very soon. They've already gotten better with fewer skipped shifts, miss shifts, neutral stops, etc.

But right now I agree that that SRF is a much better Spec class if you want competition. FE is still growing. Although there are more people going into that open wheel class than any other one. Lots of new people buying cars and starting up next year.
What we see up here is that they can beat everyone except the Atlantics on a start, then get passed in the first corner. Most times they are beat for an overall win by a Continental. This is considering very good drivers in both cars. Not the car I would suggest, but not terrible. If you want a great spec class, SRF is where it's at in the North East.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But right now I agree that that SRF is a much better Spec class if you want competition. FE is still growing. Although there are more people going into that open wheel class than any other one. Lots of new people buying cars and starting up next year.
This may be apples & oranges and straying way off topic, but look for Formula F ( Formula Ford) to really take off next year. The new Honda engine that was just approved is really an exciting development, as is Honda's overall commitment to the class, including significant contingencies and sponsorship of a new pro series.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do SRF engines last? And what's a typical cost for an engine rebuild?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MLIN
4500 rebuild and sealed. Only Enterprises can do a rebuild.

Last forever 4-5 seasons is not uncommon. 40-50 hard days. As with all engines the push for the last bit of HP gives some people the desire to rebuild more often. However most people run it until there is a noticeable power issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrandonH
This may be apples & oranges and straying way off topic, but look for Formula F ( Formula Ford) to really take off next year. The new Honda engine that was just approved is really an exciting development, as is Honda's overall commitment to the class, including significant contingencies and sponsorship of a new pro series.
Didn't see this the first time.

I'd love that to be the case but I just don't see it happening. 50,000-70,000 for a new car with Penskes is what is hurting the class. Sure you can do a DB1 conversion and have it out the door for 25ish but look at what the top cars are bringing in right now and they're 20 years old. Treadway is 50K+. Coello's car last year was 45ish with no spares.

I'd be there though if the engine rule had come out 8 months earlier in DB1 though. I think it's a great class and the runoffs always has a good turnout. Regionally is hit or miss though.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
MLIN
Instructor

4500 rebuild and sealed. Only Enterprises can do a rebuild.

Last forever 4-5 seasons is not uncommon. 40-50 hard days. As with all engines the push for the last bit of HP gives some people the desire to rebuild more often. However most people run it until there is a noticeable power issue.
Considering each event is 2-3 days, 40-50 days would be like 20 events? That's more like 2 seasons/years, no?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Had 48 races (not days..."races") on my last engine...two log-books full...and was still winning regionals with it. Pulled it for a refresh due to suspect leak-down numbers. Didn't go any faster after the refresh (might just be me).

Current engine has ~30 races...some kind of issue with it, so it's going back to Enterprises for a refresh.

You're not twisting the nipples off these engines...shifting at 5500-5700...as long as you don't have regular zingers, you can go years on an engine.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester

You're not twisting the nipples off these engines...

For my "maiden journey" I was upshifting at about 5,200 (why waste the good revs at a DE) and it didn't seem like there was a heck of a lot more happening between 5,200 and 5,800.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Doh, I did mean races too. Mine's about 30ish races and isn't giving anything up. Stupid typing and chewing gum foils me again.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't see this the first time.

I'd love that to be the case but I just don't see it happening. 50,000-70,000 for a new car with Penskes is what is hurting the class. Sure you can do a DB1 conversion and have it out the door for 25ish but look at what the top cars are bringing in right now and they're 20 years old. Treadway is 50K+. Coello's car last year was 45ish with no spares.

I'd be there though if the engine rule had come out 8 months earlier in DB1 though. I think it's a great class and the runoffs always has a good turnout. Regionally is hit or miss though.
MyGale is building a honda-specific chassis for the US market, initially ~$50K with data, supposedly complete, we will see. Piper is same price. Carbir is showing a prototype, and Firman is supposedly working on one. I think this is exciting not because $50K is cheap, but because mfrs are finally building cars again at all. The Pipers and VDs in the class are all re-commissioned FC cars that as you say are 15-20 yrs old.

The Treadway and Coello cars are among the most successful FFs in the country, representing the extreme high end of the market, (and maybe white elephants since they are Kent based) I think you could buy a VD '00 for ~20K and do a conversion yourself for another $15K, not a bad way to race open wheel.

I commented in the thread mostly because with Honda's high level of interest and commitment to the class, FF may once again see real growth, and spec classes are not for everyone...

PS: Mike Scanlan built his DB6 Honda for <$30K and did great this season, just out of top ten at sprints and runoffs, podium at the Glen...
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Another car with possibilities is the Thunder Roadster, which is a spin-off of the Legends cars. It's a full space frame car with a retro ('50s Indy Car) look and Yamaha motor.

They sell used for under $10K. At this point, they do not seem to have much of a road course user base.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Another car with possibilities is the Thunder Roadster, which is a spin-off of the Legends cars. It's a full space frame car with a retro ('50s Indy Car) look and Yamaha motor.

They sell used for under $10K. At this point, they do not seem to have much of a road course user base.
http://www.racecar2000.com/classifie...-ad-19064.html
Old 10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
MLIN
Instructor

40-50 races sounds much better! Is engine refreshing same thing as rebuild?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by BrandonH
MyGale is building a honda-specific chassis for the US market, initially ~$50K with data, supposedly complete, we will see. Piper is same price. Carbir is showing a prototype, and Firman is supposedly working on one. I think this is exciting not because $50K is cheap, but because mfrs are finally building cars again at all. The Pipers and VDs in the class are all re-commissioned FC cars that as you say are 15-20 yrs old.

The Treadway and Coello cars are among the most successful FFs in the country, representing the extreme high end of the market, (and maybe white elephants since they are Kent based) I think you could buy a VD '00 for ~20K and do a conversion yourself for another $15K, not a bad way to race open wheel.

I commented in the thread mostly because with Honda's high level of interest and commitment to the class, FF may once again see real growth, and spec classes are not for everyone...

PS: Mike Scanlan built his DB6 Honda for <$30K and did great this season, just out of top ten at sprints and runoffs, podium at the Glen...
Don't get me wrong as I REALLY like the FF class and am equally happy to see other guys out building cars for the US market. Sadly the FF rules in the rest of the world moved on when the US didn't so they are no longer the same.

Also the fastest car at the runoffs was an 11K dollar RF92 so you can go fast in the older cars and cheaper cars. However I still see the problem of 50K entry when you can get into FE cars for a little bit cheaper and FB cars for a little bit more. I'd rather race without the wings but there are many who want and like the car to look fast and with wings.

I still love the RF98 (which is what you have) and almost picked one up for 9K a couple years ago but couldn't swing the second car at the time.

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg

They are garbage on a road course. Raced against a couple in Midwestern Council and was unimpressed by them on a road course. I'd get a Legends car first as you have more options to run them on an oval as well as the road.

40-50 races sounds much better! Is engine refreshing same thing as rebuild?
You can do the top end alone or the entire engine. Here's the rebuild sheet. I beleive the top end rebuilds are about 2K

http://www.sccaenterprises.com/SRFCu...e%206_2010.pdf

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spec Racer Ford