Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 PM
dahcopilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those who can't skate, say they have lousy skates
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You know that you chose the wrong hotel when the restrooms at the track have better tee pee.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
tsheehan
Instructor

apon asking Peter Dawe if I should run the heavily shaved side wall on my left rear tire damaged in a "rubbing" incident prior to a Watkins Glen sprint race. Dawe:, "go ahead run it, there are plenty of drivers"
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by tsheehan
apon asking Peter Dawe if I should run the heavily shaved side wall on my left rear tire damaged in a "rubbing" incident prior to a Watkins Glen sprint race. Dawe:, "go ahead run it, there are plenty of drivers"
LOL! nice....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Want to make a million bucks in racing? Spend 2 million.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM
shaun.nelson22
7th Gear

Auto racing is boring except when a car is going at least 172 miles per hour upside down- Dave Barry
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

If you're comfortable, go faster, if you're scared, slow down, if you're nervous, it's probably just right.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
dacbap
Instructor

heard a guy at the track whining a quote the other day "buddy back off or I'll brake for you"
Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Long and not specifically racing related - but still applicable:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

-Teddy R.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My two favorites from the days when I was instructing:

For novice/first timers, especially the 25yr old with the WRX/M3/ZX/CobaltSS:

"Before we begin, may I ask you a personal question: do you know for sure where your soul will go when you die? If you have any doubts, please listen to me closely today..."

Also for novices: "The best reason to practice driving the correct line? The correct line never leaves the track..."

Mario Andretti, when asked to reveal some choice driving secrets, opined gruffly that any true secrets he possessed he wasn't likely to share beyond his immediate family. But after reflecting a moment he replied, "I will say that most people mistakenly think brakes are for slowing the car." Paraphrase from one of the 'Speed Secrets' books.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard a Mario Thiessen quote last weekend at Sebring. "it's 25% Great car, 25% great team, and 50% good luck."

I guess they had all three, because BMW placed 1-2 in GT. Amazing performance.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default From R&T

A couple of quotes from this month's Road & Track.

" Every time I put the helmet on, I let it dangle as hard as I could"

AJ Foyt

"A law of automobile design is that the first concept of a superior design is always defeated by the perfect example of established practice"

Laurence Pomeroy from the Grand Prix Car

Greg
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Location: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Juan Manuel Fangio

*It does not matter how fast you go. It is how slow you can go, and still win. ~ Juan Manuel Fangio

*Getting out of the car after the race he said to his mechanic simply, "It is finished." Juan-Manuel Fangio was famous for winning a race at the slowest possible speed.

*The race backs up to you" ~ Rick Mears

*Without going to what I think is my limit. I always say that my ideal is to get pole with the minimum effort, and to win the race at the slowest speed possible. ~ Alain Prost

*It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead. ~ Sir Sterling Moss

*There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose. ~ Garth Stein (The Art of Racing in the Rain)

*If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. ~ Mark Donohue

*Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. ~ Jeremy Clarkson

*Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will. Lose on the track, and you go home. Lose with a load of whiskey, and you go to jail. ~ Junior Johnson

*If the car feels like it is on rails, you are probably driving too slowly. ~ Ross Bentley

*The car goes where the eyes go. ~ Garth Stein

*Oh yes. It's not when you brake but when you take them off that counts. Most people don't understand that. ~ Jackie Stewart

*In practice laps at Spa in 1954, Claes felt that his Maserati was markedly slower than Fangio’s identical one. So he asked Juan Manuel to drive it and see. Fangio did, and returned to the pits after turning several laps at speeds comparable to those in his own car. When Claes asked him how he did it, Fangio responded humbly in his halting English, “Less brakes, more accelerator.”

*Less brakes, more accelerator ~ Juan Manuel Fangio

Last edited by Sumflow; 04-20-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
djbeachem.ii
Advanced

'I believe all highway exit ramps should be banked to 45 degrees and have a sign at the end with 'best time of day'" Terry Earwood
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Long time flagger at Road America explaining the meaning of each flag.

Holding the blue flag with a diagonal yellow stripe: "This means there's a race going on. You're not in it."

Quick Reply: Racing quotes