Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...

...instead of the cost of a diesel truck.

Anyone have thoughts on this avenue? It would be nice to stay at the track instead of a hotel, but I'm looking for those out there that have experience and went down this path and regretted it or loved it.

Of course I haven't talked to the Ways & Means committee at home about it yet...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

TeamDrugMoney........... Mike Yura uses one I'm sure he'll chime in
Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the other way - diesel truck (which can double as daily driver) and trailer w/ living quarters?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ the approach I took, although suggesting interior of my trailer has "living quarters" would be very generous. Works great, something to consider. Think of it this way a long weekend in the trailer = free set of tires, motivation for me.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

For me, its the only way to go to the track. I bought a used Diesel pusher RV. Its 39 feet with 4 slides. I love getting up at 7am and Im already at the track and I just sip down my breakfast and stagger over to the drivers meeting.
Leagle limit for tow rig in most states is 65 feet total length of tow rig and trailer. My 24 foot V nose trailer and my 39 foot RV is exactly 65 feet.

I have a generater if there is no power but some tracks I go to have RV power I can rent. That makes it nice So I have A/C and can get out of the heat durring the day, take a nap, have a hot lunch etc.... Sometimes Ill even smoke a brisket outside and I get lots of visitors that way.

This is an old pic, my car is much different now but this gives you the Idea...
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gasser, if you are looking for a son to share your track adventures with I think I might be able to fill that role. - Dad.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I almost did this recently but decided that the only use the trailer would get would be when I was at the track. Ended up buying a nice diesel pickup that can be used much more ('08 King's Ranch). I'll just continue to use an air bed in my enclosed trailer, but plan on adding AC this year to make it a bit more comfortable.

If my wife and step-daughter went to all my races then the trailer would have been the way to go. But, given that my wife teaches on the weekend's and my step-daughter is with her dad every other weekend, they only make it to my local races (Barber).
Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Pete,

Talk to "Inverterman" aka Jim, you know CCA instructor we all had lunch at Willow Springs.

Good times.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The one thing that is a recurring theme regarding RV's is finding one that can actually tow the amount of weight you want. Many of them don't have the GVWR ratings or tow ratings to pull more than a few thousand pounds.

If I had the means I would definitely look into something like that. Just no storage space for something that big. I'd probably go the route others suggested first. I have a good buddy who's done a few years of the F2000 Pro Series and has a 48 foot goose with the front half as living quarters. Pretty nice setup and can run into town easily if needed.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Gasser, if you are looking for a son to share your track adventures with I think I might be able to fill that role. - Dad.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I did it and miss it. I sold mine to buy the diesel dually to pull a two car trailer. Sold the two car trailer but still have the dually as my daily driver. Would do it again in a minute.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

convert a van or a bus hehe
http://cheaprvliving.com/howtoconvertavan.html
Old 02-16-2010, 11:09 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

I've been looking at Garage Coaches. 16-20 feet of RV living up front and a 16-20 feet garage in the back, all in one unit. Car drives onto a motorized rear gate that lifts up to be level with the deck, then just drive or winch in (no ramps). I like the idea of being hitchless. Seems like it would be a bit easier to manuever and gets rid of the small hassles associated with hook-up, un-hooking, etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

^very personal choice but the overall length gets very long without a "hinge" so turning radius may be an issue. Most people I know including myself do not disconnect at the track as we have onboard support vehicles to run around with (car, atv, pit-bike, etc).

Cool thing about this sport is the approach people take with all the bits.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Try an RV rental by owner in your area and try it before you buy. For nationals last year I rented a really nice 40' pusher plenty of towing capacity, all the bells and whistles, slide outs and all the works. Makes a really nice time at the track, and if it's a long haul it makes for easy stops along the way. Lower bay slideouts for tools, wheels compressed air and generator, kitchen, shower and bbq is handy. A bit big tho, and you're stuck at the track, not too easy to pick up and go into town. Next time I'm thinking a 32' pusher or tractor would be a better deal. Expect 7-8mpg, not too bad compared to a dually 350...

Quick Reply: Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...