Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

Joe,

It was really difficult to find a 450Hp Freightliner chassis in a 36 footer. There is no doubt about it, staying at the track is the best. I can tow a 28 foot stacker with a Trailer Toad without a problem. Problem is finding a deal on a used aluminum stacker.

GWCR and GVWR are dependent on the design of the chassis and the axle rating. The numbers are mind boggling.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:14 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I towed my 25' featherlite with a our 34' motorhome and it is absolutely the best way to go. A great place to get away to relax between sessions and review data.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by inverterman
Joe,

It was really difficult to find a 450Hp Freightliner chassis in a 36 footer. There is no doubt about it, staying at the track is the best. I can tow a 28 foot stacker with a Trailer Toad without a problem. Problem is finding a deal on a used aluminum stacker.

GWCR and GVWR are dependent on the design of the chassis and the axle rating. The numbers are mind boggling.
Jim,

I forgot that you went this route. PM sent. Call me later today.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The one thing that is a recurring theme regarding RV's is finding one that can actually tow the amount of weight you want. Many of them don't have the GVWR ratings or tow ratings to pull more than a few thousand pounds.
Very true. It would have to be a diesel pusher. I looked into the class C rigs and those are almost as expensive as the class A!

My daily driver is a company car, so besides Home Depot runs, the diesel truck route would almost be a waist and they too are very expensive.

There are some really good deals out there on slightly used or unsold inventory.

Gas mileage isn't a concern unless the price of diesel goes up. My gas powered 2000 GMC Yukon XL 1500 gets only 11 MPG when towing and not much better when not and seems to be getting a little tired.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

A dear friend is selling his totter and stacker trailer. It is state of the art and cared for like a concours car.

Those that went to Sebring for the 48Hours can attest to its condition as he had it on display next to my 2 liter cars and a friends 993 Factory RSR (awesome car!).

I'll get info on the totter/trailer to post here if anyone is interested.

I have no ownership nor economic interest on this. Just trying to play matchmaker.

Juan
Old 02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
Try an RV rental by owner in your area and try it before you buy. For nationals last year I rented a really nice 40' pusher plenty of towing capacity, all the bells and whistles, slide outs and all the works. Makes a really nice time at the track, and if it's a long haul it makes for easy stops along the way. Lower bay slideouts for tools, wheels compressed air and generator, kitchen, shower and bbq is handy. A bit big tho, and you're stuck at the track, not too easy to pick up and go into town. Next time I'm thinking a 32' pusher or tractor would be a better deal. Expect 7-8mpg, not too bad compared to a dually 350...

Jim you had a nice set-up at Nationals last year. I do agree on the limit off track access like this.

Nationals was our first trip with an enclosed trailer and we did fine camping it it. A proper RV would have been nicer, but the the simple box fit our needs.

There are two ways to RV at the track.
Trailer Type - These range from simple enclosed trailers with an air mattress or cot to trailer with living qtrs. The nice thing is once you get there you have you tow vehicle to run into town. The down side is the RV accomodations range from sparce to adequate. Getting a fancy trailer is hard due to the weights involved. Plus the bigger the trailer the harder the tow.

Motorhome - This is the best way to do it for comfort both at the track and driving up. A good A class will be able to tow with ease and give you a nice place to stay when there. They are costly however. C-classes work, but since they are based on van chassis you need to watch weights carefully. The biggest draw back is only one car. Now you can get around that by getting a stacker enclosed trailer and simply bring a car to drive to town in. Or you can bring two race cars.

The other thing to do when you have not street car at the track is try to bum rides from those that do have street cars.

Personally if I had the money I would go with diesel pusher and an enclosed trailer for all my track events. I would drag the wife and daughter our and when they get bored they can sit in the RV in the A/C and watch satalite TV.

Ideally I would have a stacker and maybe small car for them to run off into town. Anybody have a spare $150k laying around?

I'd take this one in heart beat (assuming I had the $$$)
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31327

Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which are the preferred brands of RVs and motor homes? Seems like there are a lot of manufacturers out there.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

I looked into renting to see if this was a good idea, have yet to pull the trigger. In the Midwest I found this company (no affiliation or experience with). www.allstarcoaches.com
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic! Specs to follow shortly.

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 04-28-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys,

I got the info from the owner (Mr. Roger Johnson).

Attached are spec sheets for the custom 2000 Volvo/Featherlite transporter that is for sale.

Below is a Pixetell link that provides a tour through the transporter. This link is safe and is a direct link to a server storage space for the tour.

Click on this link Volvo Transporter

The price for this heavily optioned transporter is $140,000. The owner is retiring from racing.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pixetell: http://pixetell.com/p00147sG9IRdR9MZ...38eA94cU0WIo1J
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Formica counters? PFfft. Go granite or nothing!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

If my stuff was not brought to the the track in an 18 wheeler; I would buy it right now...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this rig at Sebring, SWEET! I wish I had the $$$ but wishes doesn't make it happen.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Snow Lion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renegade

Hi there,

This is my first post on Rennlist, even though I have been a member for a while.
So I guess I should introduce myself.
I have been a member of the PCA for almost 20 years, however for almost 15 years, I wasn't active in club activities, as getting married, having children, and running a business kept me busy. A few years ago, I decided to take the Bondurant school and got my race licence. I joined PCA Club racing and have been learning to drive.

The reason I am posting is that I finally have something of value to contribute!

I own a Renegade MotorGarage and really love it.
The MotorGarage is built on a Freightliner chassis and has the Mercedes Benz 12L engine. It is very sturdy and powerful. Going up hills or braking is a piece of cake. I even get reasonably good gas mileage. I got up to 10 mpg going to Daytona from my home near Mosport last year.

The total length is 45 feet and the garage portion is 18', and the living area is 18', 22' if you include the bunk over the cabin. It is the perfect vehicle for club racing. The rear garage is accessed with a lift gate that folds out, and you lift the car and roll the car into the garage. The living quarters is perfect for the my family of four, two adults and my two kids who love the bunk over the cabin.

I can fit a scooter with the car in the back, and if I need to take another car, I also have an enclosed trailex. You can't even tell it's there... Not necessarily a good thing when you are backing up! But that's another story.

It can also be used for non-race purposes. We put the family car in the back, and spent a month on an East Coast holiday this summer. We visited New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia, Maine, and Boston. It was a wonderful trip, and there is an entire RV subculture that we weren't aware of. The people at RV campgrounds were friendly and helpful.

I am very pleased with the Renegade. I have attached a picture from Calabogie last May.

Tenzin
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thinking of an RV to tow and stay at the track...