Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleted heater blower? How happy have you been with the change when it was raining?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Deleted heater blower? How happy have you been with the change when it was raining?

Searched the archives and couldn't find anything. I'm thinking of deleting my heater blower and either getting an RSR heater delete kit ($76 with 15% discount, http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-RSR...ctinfo/M05.07/) or the RS heater tube ($225 with 15% discount, http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-RS-...oductinfo/M09/). Rennline is The main concern I have with the first one is that I'll have no ability to demist the windshield during rain races. Using a towel to wipe the inside of the windshield will not be an option due to the fact that I will be harnessed in. Because of this, I'm considering the second option (RS heater tube), but this option might be too asthmatic in effectiveness. Maybe not.

So, I have two questions:

-For those of you who have completely blocked off the heater (RSR heater delete plate), have you ever wished that you had the ability to demist the windshield in the rain?

-For those of you who are using the RS heater tube, have you ever wished that you had more ability to demist the windshield in the rain?

Keep in mind that this is a "street-legal", 99% track car, so my heating requirements are usually minimal.

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark, are you able to do this and stay in class? I was going to do the same as I wanted to run the dash bar where the ehater is however Donna told me I needed to retain it!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
Hi Mark, are you able to do this and stay in class? I was going to do the same as I wanted to run the dash bar where the ehater is however Donna told me I needed to retain it!
Time to get a 993 or earlier car, Dan! Page 8 of the 2009 rules, Paragraph 1, subparagraph I addresses allowance of this modification.

CAR CLASSIFICATION
STOCK — CLASSES A THRU L

Any vehicle in the stock classes, including “prepared” vehicles, must compete with full road equipment and, with the
exception of exhaust/emissions, be street legal as designed by the factory, capable of being registered for street use in
the condition of the car when presented at scrutineering, and capable of being driven to and from the event. “Euro-spec”
cars will automatically progress up one stock class.

1. Engine
A. As delivered from factory. No modifications after the air filter or before the exhaust headers.
B. Stock, for the year, fuel injection must be retained, except carburetors may be substituted for mechanical
fuel injection.
C. Electronic fuel injection must retain stock DME and KLR chip (if applicable).
D. Turbocharged cars cannot exceed factory specified maximum boost, nor can any of the stock turbocharger,
turbocharger plumbing, or boost control components be replaced with non-stock components or altered in
any way that could affect performance.
E. Exhaust system is free providing the engine meets any local noise limit requirements.
F. Machining for balancing purposes only is allowed.
G. Air conditioning belts, condensers and air injection systems may be removed. Hoses must be retained
and secured.
H. Radiators are free in water-cooled cars. Radiators must be installed in the stock location.
I. The heater blower on the motor may be removed from air-cooled cars. Plates or ducts to close the openings for
the heater flex ducts are allowed.

J. Oil coolers are free.
K. Baffling of stock dry sump oil tanks or wet sump engine oil pans to prevent oil starvation is permitted.
L. Any dual mass flywheel may be replaced with a single mass, ferrous material (magnetic) flywheel. The clutch
disk must be the stock diameter. Suggested substitutions are:
• ’90-’94 911 or RS America may use 964 RS flywheel
• ’95-’98 993 may use 993 RS flywheel
• 968 may use 944S2 or 968 Turbo S flywheel. The matching clutch and bell housing is allowed.
M. Any ignition trigger which uses a standard distributor with stock style cap and rotor to deliver the charge to the
appropriate cylinder is permitted.
N. Valve springs, retainers and clips are free.
O. Any spark coil and CD unit is allowed, so long as it is not capable of changing ignition timing or offer any other
performance advantage. The stock engine revolution limiter and function must be retained.
P. An underdrive pulley on the crankshaft for the power steering belt may be used in Boxster/Cayman.
Otherwise, underdrive pulleys are a “prepared” change.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
DanR
Drifting

man, you 911 guys get a free pass all the time
Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, I may have found a solution. I had the same problem with fog on the inside of the windshield. I ended up buying a film applied to the inside from Pro-tint for anti-fog. I ran it in a race at Tbolt NASA. Never had a problem with fogging, but while leading the race, my computer got wet again. Doooohhhh! I can send you the info. PM me when you have a chance.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

All that stuff is completly out of mine. No problems yet. I am switching to Lexan so we will see. I know my buddies have problems even with their heat. I just rain x the outside and inside and have had no problems. You could rig up a NACA duct to blow air across the wind screen on the inside. I only have about one rain race a year and really try to avoid them...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Mark, I may have found a solution. I had the same problem with fog on the inside of the windshield. I ended up buying a film applied to the inside from Pro-tint for anti-fog. I ran it in a race at Tbolt NASA. Never had a problem with fogging, but while leading the race, my computer got wet again. Doooohhhh! I can send you the info. PM me when you have a chance.
Thanks, Bob. Is this it? http://www.protint.com/prod_antifog.php I don't know; adding a film to the inside of the windshield seems like a PITA to me, especially since the windshield is in the car. How easily does it scratch?

Originally Posted by Gasser
All that stuff is completly out of mine. No problems yet. I am switching to Lexan so we will see. I know my buddies have problems even with their heat. I just rain x the outside and inside and have had no problems. You could rig up a NACA duct to blow air across the wind screen on the inside. I only have about one rain race a year and really try to avoid them...
Thanks for the info.

Hmmmm, maybe I should just leave the blower in . . .
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Gasser, Lexan and you will have fog fest. Mark, It was easy to add ( I was skeptical too). Damn stuff works. Rainx does not do much on a cold wet track for fog. I tried the rag on a stick method, not cook in a race. I will look up what I used. You must follow the instructions to the letter. They also make tear-offs for the outside of the lexan with a tint on them.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

For what most of that stuff weighs, I've not usually found it worth the effort to remove. When it rains or is cold... I think you know the answer there.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I think I was the only car at Road Atlanta this year with heat, my window was clear by the end of the out lap, and this was with a non-functioning blower motor and the archaic SC/Carrera ventilation system. It was a monsoon all weekend, and I was glad to have it. THIS will give you an idea of how useless a towel was.

It also rained on the GT group twice at Mid Ohio, and the technician maintaining the C4 car in the garage next to us applied Dawn dishwashing detergent to the inside of the windshield. He said you put it on pretty thick, then buff it out like car wax. The driver said it worked like a charm. YMMV.

Just curious Mark, why are you so keen on removing the blower? You'll still have to make the same weight regardless of what you remove, although not having all that stuff back there does make certain maintenance items more accessible.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The short answer: no. When I had a car closer to stock and I used the bypass tube, on rainy days and the front window would fog terribly and was not safe.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Mark, I don't have any heater or blower in my car and it can be a royal pain to clear up if the windscreen fogs. It is not just in the rain. It can happen if humidity is high and reaches the dew point. If you can meet your target weight w/o removing it I think you will be better off.

I'm going to look into the anti-fog film Bob suggested for my windscreen and goggles.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Lexan and you will have fog fest.
Shields has an anti-fog coating option for their Lexan that is supposed to be very effective. No first hand experience yet but will be installing it in the next week or so.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Mark, The product I used is Protint New Vision anti-fog kit. I cut to size myself with razor knife. I made a template by placing it on the outside first before removing the protective layer and applying it on the inside. Key is to not be fanicy and cover the area you need to leaving an inch or so on the perimeter.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

You can use what I do. A 12 volt hairdryer. Retail price $15. Hard wire it in using longer wire and use a dash mounted toggle to turn it on. You can mount it under the dash and blowing up through your original derfroster vents. Just fabricate a way to mount it under there.

Quick Reply: Deleted heater blower? How happy have you been with the change when it was raining?