Sponsored by:

Colorado PCA race, Spec Boxster/944

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 AM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Colorado PCA race, Spec Boxster/944

Just wanted to announce the first annual PCA race at the new High Plains Raceway just East of Denver, CO. The race will be held on August 15-16 and there is an open track day (organized by the track directly) available on Friday the 14th.

I've heard rumors that a bunch of Spec Boxster racers from CA and TX have discussed this race as a perfect test of who has the best racers since the track is relatively centrally located and none of them have run the track yet. I've been unable to find anything on the interweb, but that would be great fun! I think we already have two Spec Boxsters from TX registered.

I'm working on the possibility of having a few Spec. 944's available for rent from the very active local NASA group. We already have two registered and I know of at least 2-3 more drivers planning to race but not registered yet in Spec. 944.

The new track is a lot of fun. Loads of elevation change and really nothing to hit. It doesn't feel at all like an Alan Wilson design either .

The track is located about 45 miles East of civilization, but I've arranged a $79 rate at the Hyatt Place near the airport. Includes continental breakfast and every room has a huge flat screen TV with hookups for any sort of video system you may have to review your race footage!

We have an extremely liberal refund policy and will have a $50 surcharge for registrations/payments received at the track. Please register early and often!

Thanks and please don't hesitate to PM or email with any questions.

Joe Rothman
Race Co-Chair
jrothma at hotmail
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
chris_v
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, how much is the race entry fee?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
JR944
Pro

$375 plus $75 if you want to do the enduro. I wish it was lower.

There will be two sprints plus an enduro and a pig roast at the track on Saturday evening. We've had a great outpouring of support from our local racers who made it possible to put this race back on the schedule after our local region board canceled it in fear of taking a financial beating. Dart Auto is providing the pig, Quigley/Mercury Electric helping on the tent rental, Hemingways' are providing worker lunches, Benjamin helping with hotel for officials, etc. I'll obviously post a full list of thank you's after the event.

Hope to see you there Chris!

Joe
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
$375 plus $75 if you want to do the enduro. I wish it was lower.

There will be two sprints plus an enduro and a pig roast at the track on Saturday evening. We've had a great outpouring of support from our local racers who made it possible to put this race back on the schedule after our local region board canceled it in fear of taking a financial beating. Dart Auto is providing the pig, Quigley/Mercury Electric helping on the tent rental, Hemingways' are providing worker lunches, Benjamin helping with hotel for officials, etc. I'll obviously post a full list of thank you's after the event.

Hope to see you there Chris!

Joe
There should be 9 of us from Texas there. Jim Buckley, Bryan Henderson, Carl, Brian, and Chris Amond, in addition to the 4 of us already on the list. There are also 2 from Oklahoma, and hopefully a couple more. Perhaps we can convince Noby and few others to come out...

I spent a lot of time borrowing tools from Dave from Dart last year to get my 911 running, but thankfully it ran well after all. I'm happy to come up and support your race. Is this track like Pueblo, where there a few "tricks" the locals know to be fast? If so, please tell me who to bribe for the test and tune day on Friday to get the inside scoop...

-Keith

-Keith

-Keith
Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olcha911
There should be 9 of us from Texas there. Jim Buckley, Bryan Henderson, Carl, Brian, and Chris Amond, in addition to the 4 of us already on the list. There are also 2 from Oklahoma, and hopefully a couple more. Perhaps we can convince Noby and few others to come out...

I spent a lot of time borrowing tools from Dave from Dart last year to get my 911 running, but thankfully it ran well after all. I'm happy to come up and support your race. Is this track like Pueblo, where there a few "tricks" the locals know to be fast? If so, please tell me who to bribe for the test and tune day on Friday to get the inside scoop...

-Keith

-Keith

-Keith
I should have mentioned I borrowed the tools from Dave at Road America, where we were all a long way from home...
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Gladwill (has his car back from TOPP, dropping it off w/ Watkins tonight) and I will be most likely last minute entries. My main issue is lack of vacation days.

Glenn Smith and Rocky are already signed up for SPBOX. I think Jay is still planning on going, possibly Steve. Rich Hansen has family up in Denver, and thinking about making the trip. West was talking about going up (and Ray should have his car back shortly). Add in the aforementioned Boxster Hoarder Family, should be a fairly large contingent from TX...
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,
Do you have any information on the rental cars? SP1 SP2 SP3? Cost$

I would look at it.

Scott
Old 07-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Spec944 #143
Advanced

I am going to try to make it from Salt Lake and they may be 3-4 of us for salt lake for 944. I will not be able to commit until the week before as work and a expecting wife dictate that I wait. there are alot of nasa 944s in colorado so there could be a large 944 group.

todd imwold
Old 07-06-2009, 11:52 PM
JR944
Pro

WOW! Thanks guys. I'm feeling pretty good about it if all of you come through.

The track is fun. Not particularly tricky, per se, but there are a three turns where you can't see the apex until you are upon it. You just have to KNOW it's there. Think T6 at Road America. The turn at the end of the long straight (4) is very fast and you have to decide to compromise the exit speed or compromise the entrance to the downhill left hand turn 5. I haven't decided yet which way is fastest. T13 must be compromised just a bit in most cars in order to maximize speed through 14-15. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. See the track map showing elevation changes here: http://www.highplainsraceway.com/ima...map-large3.gif

The good news for you TX E class guys is that Mike Martin only has one NASA day on the track so far, Wurmbrand has none, and Bill Petty has just a few laps in his 914. Chris Camut, Steve Wright, Martin Smith, and Mike Quigley have put in some laps.

I'll plan to be at the track for at least part of the day on Friday and will be available to offer whatever help I can to get you guys up to speed quickly.

PM or email me if you need the hotel reservation link. Also, if you're "budget oriented" like me, each of the rooms has a separate sectional sofa that pulls out to a bed.

So.... what do you think we can do to pull the Spec Boxster guys out from CA?

Thanks so much!

Joe
Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
So.... what do you think we can do to pull the Spec Boxster guys out from CA? Joe
Joe unfortunately POC has it's largest event of the year the following weekend at Laguna Seca.....
Old 07-08-2009, 12:10 AM
JR944
Pro

Thanks JR. That makes sense. Too bad, as it would be great to see the two groups together!

Thanks very much for the support guys. We're getting pretty excited about it here too.

I'm still waiting to hear on additional Spec. 944's available for rent. Only one lined up so far, but Chuck Taylor is working on it. They have a NASA event at Pueblo this weekend and I think he'll be talking to the group there. We already have Julie and Chester Bailey, and Dale Tuety registered in SP1. It would be great to get around 10.

Thanks again. Don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can do to help.

Joe
Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Racers,

Just keep listening to Joe Rothman and his tips on how to turn a fast lap. In addition to being our newly-annointed Chief Driving Instructor he is also our Minister of Disinformation. I would suggest running the Friday afternoon Test and Tune prior to the event. 4 hours on track for 90 bucks, a good rate and should be all that you talented drivers will need to figure out the layout.

Looking forward a Spec Boxster rematch after our spring meeting at TWS.

Mike Quigley
E class 911
Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
JR944
Pro

Uh, yeah..... T4 is a 2nd gear corner, definitely not 4th! Mike..... Shhhhhhhh, I'm just trying to help you out here!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:47 AM
ccamut
Instructor

The Spec boxters were great at TWS, hope they show.....though i didn't get to run with them....Joe, please put the D cars with the E cars.....running in D with a bunch of cup cars isn't too much fun.

Another good tip, no need to brake at the end of the back straight
Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Chris and anyone else who doesn't like hitting things when they have a simple "off",

High Plains has a great deal of safe runoff area in all the places where one might screw up and go agricultural. I for one love places like Watkins Glen but I've seen so much carnage there that it really makes you appreciate a track with some room to go off.

Did anyone mention the pig roast that Dart Auto is sponsoring on Saturday night. I'm sure the "Daquiri Whacker" will also be running on full song!!

Mike Q
Just another Euro SC

Quick Reply: Colorado PCA race, Spec Boxster/944