Sponsored by:

Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight

Scroll down to the third to the last bullet point.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...26/388618.html

or right from the horse's mouth

Originally Posted by Brumos Website
Brumos Racing may be best known for its historic racing legacy, but a new chapter was written last weekend at the 2009 Rolex 24 at Daytona. In a performance that would have made Peter Gregg proud, Brumos returned to Victory Lane, its #58 car taking the top step of the podium in the closest finish in Daytona 24 Hour history. Joining their teammates on the podium, the #59 car crossed the finish in third place to close out one of the most thrilling endurance races ever.

The entire Brumos crew worked tirelessly in earlier testing sessions at Daytona, and that work paid off as both cars performed flawlessly throughout the week. Brumos made their intentions clear early on, as a Brumos car took first place in every practice session entered. David Donohue continued that streak, putting #58 on the pole. The drivers and crew persevered throughout the long night and into the next day, as pit stops ran smoothly and the car remained consistently on the lead lap. As Darren Law explained, “We rolled off the trailer and never touched the car. Setup was spot on. We did a lot of homework, Porsche gave us a great motor, and the team did a great job.”

David Donohue also praised the Brumos crew, saying, “We’ve been at the bottom for a while and these guys just never give up. Today proves that point. We came here ready to run hard and we ran hard the whole time. We had the right kit with the right ingredients, and it was organized and prepared properly. That’s how you win races. And while it is significant that we nailed this on the 40th anniversary of my dad winning, I feel more of an attachment to the effort my guys have put into this and to Brumos, Hurley, Bob Snodgrass and Bob Carlson. We carry the flag but those guys really won it.” He also expressed gratitude for the contributions of Antonio Garcia, saying “Without Antonio we may not have had the result we did. We were all pretty worn out, so without his help we might not be here now.” Buddy Rice was happy to be a part of the Brumos effort as well, saying, “The last two years we have been really strong. It all comes down to execution and avoiding mistakes, and Brumos did that the best this weekend.”

Emotions ran high for the #59 drivers as well. The 3rd place finish marked a long overdue return to the podium after several near misses in 2008. Hurley Haywood found it to be a combination of factors. “J.C. France was my teammate right from the start. I was very proud of the job he did last year and he is teamed with Barbosa, who is just an absolutely brilliant driver. This is a win shared by everybody, and I know Bob Snodgrass is smiling from above.” France was also pleased for his #58 teammates, saying “I was overcome with emotion, seeing the #58 car get a well-deserved victory and for us to have a great finish right behind them is all we could ask. It’s a great start to the season and a great overall team effort for Brumos.”

Joao Barbosa turned in another flawless performance, bringing the car across the line in 3rd despite constant challenges. “It was a sprint race all the way, everyone was 100 percent, and no one wanted to lose the lead lap. We pushed really hard and the car was great, we had a great race and are really pleased to put #59 back on the podium.” Co-driver Terry Borcheller enjoyed rejoining Brumos and renewing his friendship with all of the other drivers. “Brumos is the definition of what a team should be, and while I may hate not winning myself, I couldn’t be happier for the #58 and what they accomplished.”

Likely no one is more thrilled by the Brumos performance than team owner Dan Davis. “The quality of the service and the race preparations were apparent. Thanks to the hard work of our crew, the cars ran a 24 hour race with only routine maintenance needed. From the standpoint of Brumos, it was a perfect race.”

Brumos racing has long been known not only for our success in racing, but for our reputation for adhering to the rules forged by race officials. It is indeed a misfortune that the # 58 car was penalized for being 12 pounds under the required vehicle weight in the post race inspection following the Rolex 24 at Daytona. In the final laps of this 24 hour “sprint race”, the car was experiencing overheating and fluid loss. The loss of coolant, an oil leak as evidenced by heavy residue on the car’s rear and being on fuel reserve for more than a lap, accounts for a weight reduction in excess of 12 pounds. The # 59 car did not experience any of these problems.

On behalf of the Brumos organization, Davis stated, “We recognize that race officials have a very difficult job. We respect their decision and understand the need to enforce this penalty. Brumos Racing works very hard to produce the best racecars that we can while adhering to the rules, and we would never do anything to tarnish our reputation. My continuing commitment to our Brumos family, Grand-Am, and our fans is that we will never knowingly violate the rules as we compete for the Championship in the Grand-Am Rolex series sponsored by Crown Royal Cask 16.”

Posted on 01/27 at 05:29 PM

Last edited by enduro911; 01-29-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-29-2009, 04:05 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Whoops.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was the penalty?
Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
So what was the penalty?
+1

I'd assume Ganassi should be the winner now or is it too much for the WWF/NASCAR, err, I mean Grand-Am to do now that the show is over?
And don't get me wrong, I fully would never ever want the Ganassi LEXUS to win over Brumos PORSCHE but rules are rules.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

$5000 fine and driver/team points penalty.

12 lbs wouldn't have made a difference. +/- one HP? 2 gallons of gas?

Doesn't seem like a malicious thing, miscalculation.

12 lbs also doesn't seem like any gigantic advantage over anyone else.

Take the penalty, good, keep the win, good.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12lbs does seem significant, didnt a DP get relegated to the back due to being a fraction of an inch too wide.

+1 for Brumos but rules and regs are critical
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

wow
Old 01-29-2009, 09:15 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

As much as I am a die hard Porsche fan and that Brumos is my favorite team in DP, they should lose the win and all points earned. 12 pounds is not insignificant at all when you consider how tight the battle was between 58 and 01. 12 pounds underweight is cheating, intentionally or not. In PCA club racing, you get DQ if you are 1 pound underweight and there are no stakes involved other than bragging rights and spare change contingency money. The watches are tainted.... WAIT what does the grand am rule book say???? That is what really matters I guess.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak

If 12 lbs is not enough to take the win away then what is? 25 lbs? 50? 100? or what?

Originally Posted by FredC
As much as I am a die hard Porsche fan and that Brumos is my favorite team in DP, they should lose the win and all points earned. 12 pounds is not insignificant at all when you consider how tight the battle was between 58 and 01. 12 pounds underweight is cheating, intentionally or not. In PCA club racing, you get DQ if you are 1 pound underweight and there are no stakes involved other than bragging rights and spare change contingency money. The watches are tainted.... WAIT what does the grand am rule book say???? That is what really matters I guess.
+1

Rules are rules and if you break them, you break them. When it comes to weight, you always have to "play safe" a little and have some extra weight after the race so I'm sure the weight difference between the Ganassi & Brumos was more than 12 lbs.

$5000 penalty my ***, just one of those watches cost much more than that.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,182 Posts

It's a 24 hour race, maybe 12lbs of parts fell off.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It's a 24 hour race, may 12lbs of parts fell off.
+1. Couldn't the corner workers have thrown the parts back on the car during his victory lap?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$5000 does not seem either a fair penalty or a deterant for anyone else doing this in the future. either rules are there to be adhered to or they are pointless.

Lets wait for JPM next interview......
Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

12lbs underweight is cheating.

Is that fair or unfair?

Tainted victory/race.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

If Grand Am fined and penalized them then those must be the rules. I don't really know.

As far as 12 lbs vs 50 vs 100, that's just getting silly.

Driver/team points and monetary fines are pretty universal in racing. Why shouldn't they be acceptable in Rolex?

The fact that it was a 24 hour race my have a different tolerance than a 250 mile sprint as far as rules/penalties. Again, I don't know but 12 lbs could have been due to a lot of factors. Implying cheating is a little unfair at this point.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
12lbs underweight is cheating.

Is that fair or unfair?

Tainted victory/race.
^ + 1
I've seen karts DQ'd for being less than 1lb underweight. Hey, who forced you to run so close to the limit in the first place. (FWIW, I won't let my son get within 5# of the minimum weight, since scales can vary over the course of a weekend.)
Rules are the rules.
Period

Of course you are dealing with Grand Am...i.e NA$CAR, so rules are 'flexible'.
They should be DQ'd and the trophy/win awarded to the next car/team in line.
Simple.
But it won't happen, not in the NA$CAR world.

Quick Reply: Brumos #58 Found to Be 12 lbs Underweight