Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Legends Program (Time to rob the piggy bank!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Legends Program (Time to rob the piggy bank!)

The Legends

Derek Bell, Vic Elford, Hurley Haywood, Patrick Long, and Brian Redmond at the Porsche Sport Driving School (PSDS)

Day 1

We began the event with a courtesy pick up, in a Cayenne Turbo, at the airport, followed by pre-dinner drinks in the Hotel bar. There, we met the Legends and learned that they had spent the afternoon at the track, doing their homework on the track and participants; based upon our previous driving experiences at PSDS.

Since this was the inaugural program, there was a little trepidation on all sides:

1.) PSDS: Will this program work?

2.) Legends: You want us to get in the car with whom?

3). Participants: Should I be here?

We went on to dinner at a fabulous Italian restaurant, where the dialog (and wine) flowed, introductions continued, program details and backgrounds emerged and then we all retired for the evening; our concerns somewhat eased and excitement building for the following days activities. I woke up around 3:30AM

Day 2

A quick drive to the track by one of the Legends for a “cooked” breakfast (that was a PSDS first too) and then we were in the classroom for a very brief overview of the safety instructions and program objectives.

The extraordinary thing was that when all was said, and done, it was going to be an agenda “driven” by the individual participant, and the Legends were there to share their experiences. It was obvious that this was not going to be another day at the track with an instructor controlling the program, or the pace.

The cars

A broad choice of cars were available. In addition to the regular Carrera and Carrrera S there were some surprises. New Turbos (tiptronic), Carreras, and Carrera S each with PDK. As an aside, the new Carrera variants raise the bar again. Now for the good part, you could pick which car you wanted to drive, at any time.

The program

There were 5 sessions each lasting approximately an hour. For each session, you were assigned a different Legend and it was your agenda. But, it worked out to be a mix of each of you driving, followed by detailed analysis and discussion based upon their observations and insights (and a bit of banter) balanced with your comfort and skill level. I will leave the track and driving secrets for your own experiences, after all, everyone is different. Why spoil the fun, or dull the anticipation for anyone?

I was extremely impressed by the level of professionalism and effort that each of the Legends put into the task. They had a very willing attitude, concerned that you achieved your particular objectives, were candid (there was nothing held back) and all looked like they were having fun. They put in a full day’s work and not a hint of anyone resting on their laurels.

At the end of the last session I remember seeing Hurley Haywood getting out of a car, face flushed and helmet pushed back, and I thought to myself: “These guys are really working hard. We are very fortunate to have this experience and level of participation.” That was before the hot laps in the Turbos, well let me tell you about that…. on second thoughts I won’t, except for WOWEE!!

At the wrap up, we each received autographed helmets and beautiful graduation plaques; and hearty hand shakes from the Legends. Their faces beaming, from having overcome the trepidations about getting into cars with complete strangers, (and newly accomplished drivers), who were now a part of their legends.

They then drove us back to the Hotel. The shortest journey in my life, the conversation was filled with analysis, playback, and feelings of immense satisfaction. I realized that the Legends were pleasantly surprised that the day had exceeded their expectations and they had really, thoroughly, and genuinely, enjoyed the event.

The Museum Tour.

When I saw the schedule and that it contained a museum tour, I thought: “Why do that when we could spend time on the track?” Boy, was I wrong. Firstly, is was brief and secondly to hear first hand accounts regarding some of the cars from the guys who drove them brought the museum to life, …. priceless.

The Summary

The last dinner was in a private function room at the Hotel where the buzz and banter continued, and we each received a surprise momento of the event. To hear all the stories, track secrets, strategies and driving insights was exciting but I’ll again leave those for your own experiences.

For me, it was as if someone looked into my driving soul and saw the realities, barriers and then provided some of the solutions. These guys had taken this program very seriously, done their homework and came prepared to do all they could for you, and succeeded in having a good time doing so. Rumor has it they had such a good time that they will return.

Was the program expensive? When I signed up, I thought it was a little steep. After the fact, it doesn’t feel like it was expensive, it was value for money and then some.

You might want to think about robbing the piggy bank and put it on your “Must do” list!

Every time I go to one of the PSDS events I leave wanting to buy a new Porsche. “Honey, Honey, …..where is the piggybank?”
Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Tell me more, tell me more
Old 12-20-2008, 10:06 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Me too. Me too !

It would be something to get personalized instruction form some of the best Porsche racers of all time...
Old 12-20-2008, 10:14 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a cool program. I presented this same idea to a company I used to work for and they didn't think it was a good idea. They felt the brand was stronger and more important than any "legendary" drivers and this would be just like any other three-day racing school (hint) and not worth shelling out the money for the VIP instructors. I countered by saying that the brand is big because of the legendary drivers it creates and they need to keep that going. They didn't get it. These days the company is a shell of what it used to be which is a shame. I'm glad Porsche gets it.

I used the idea for my final MBA presentation as well. Got an A+.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I've done the PSDS before and learned a lot. I could only imagine how wel the Legends program is laid out and what you can learn. This sounds like it would be one of the greatest liftime experiances someone could have.

The things I want to do vs. The things I can not afford! ARRRGH!
Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm sure I could do some research and look it up but what is the cost? Is there a prerequisite PSDS course(s)?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm sure I could do some research and look it up but what is the cost? Is there a prerequisite PSDS course(s)?
I was told the PSDS courses are a pre-req which is Performance Course is$2995 plus the cost of hotel and travel and the Masters Course is $3495 plus travel cost. The Legends course is $9,995 plus cost of travel.

To do the full deal you are looking at around $18,000+ with travel expense.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

While it would be a great experience so would a month traveling the globe....
Old 12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
DanR
Drifting

sounds a great experience but unfortunately my piggy bank is not that big, (so the wife tells me when I said this sounds a good idea
Old 12-20-2008, 01:04 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
While it would be a great experience so would a month traveling the globe....
Not when you have to do it every month, I would much rather be at PSDS, and it costs less too (believe me, I know I do it often enough).

Round the World
First Class Ticket = $18K
First Class Hotels = $18K (30x $600)
First Class Food= $6K (with wine add another $2K)
Wear and tear = Brutal
Fun = None

Compare to:
First Class Legends = $10K
Wear and Tear= None
Fun = Priceless

Of course value is where you find it. I'll take the Legends any time.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And no, you do not become part of the "Legend"!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:57 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^
Want to bet?
During dinner we made some phone calls and one to a Rennlister, a pretty quiet and low profile guy but very accomplished on the track. If he wants to reveal his identity he will.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the opportunity to do a day at Blackhawk with Bell and Elford, back in 1991. In that event, we brought our own cars. 20 guys showed up. At one point, either Derek or Vic drove your car for a timed lap, then each participant got to try to match it.
It was a fabulous experience. Interestingly, it cost all of $100, plus the cost of having the dealer tech you car (about $50). My reward for coming in first among the students (Bell beat my time by .1 sec) was a photo with both using a turbo as the backdrop.
Both were very engaging, very open, and true enthusiasts, but Elford was the most passionate. At that time, his true passion was rally. He talked a lot about the technique that today is known as the "flick".
I don't think I would pay 10 grand today, but it certainly is a unique experience. Thanks for sharing. AS
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yep, great experience but the force feeding of the follow the leader early PSDS stages to get to the good part? Nah.. $10K will get me 2 weeks of Stock D racing...
Old 12-21-2008, 01:49 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

Of course, if you have talent and experience you may not need or want this type of instruction. However, most don't and I am in that category. You don't recommend based upon the exceptional but on the average. I have no problem believing there are exceptional drivers here. I do have a problem believing everyone is an exceptional driver. Further, who has the ability to really identify the exceptional driver in advance?

I have seen guys who thought they knew it all wrap it in the Aramco, or hire Instructors who did it for them. I am reminded of Todd Serota and Frank Linn wanting to drive my GT2, representing that they had great experience. It was only because I had a natural sceptical nature that saved me from a potentially torn and twisted GT2, $10K would have looked cheap at that point.

As always, horses for courses; and it is hard to beat the tried and true.

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 12-21-2008 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: The Legends Program (Time to rob the piggy bank!)