Sponsored by:

*Video* One lap of PBIR in a Daytona Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Video* One lap of PBIR in a Daytona Prototype

A couple weeks ago I was involved in a test at PBIR with the great people at Orbit Racing. It was done in preparation for the Rolex 24 at Daytona. It ended up being one of the best times I have had at the track. The stakes also ended up getting turned up a bit thanks to alot of wine at dinner the night before. Thankfully I won my bet. I also ended up giving rides in a Porsche Cup car to some of the karting kids including my own. Dunno if times will help for reference but I ran a low 1:19 in the cup car alone, a high 20 with the kids, and a 1:11.92 in the DP. The cup car hits a low 150s MPH on the back stretch. The DP hits 171MPH on the back stretch. and just passes 140MPH on the front. Cornering speeds are right around 60 +/- 10mph depending on corner in DP.

I noticed every non-pro entering way wider than the pro line in the 180 turns. There is no reason to do this at PBIR as the runoff is paved. Hopefully this video will help a bit for anyone going there.

Video-1 Lap PBIR

This is certainly the track record. At least until the IRL tests there this off season if that happens. Also, this video is from my site and is subject to my copyright so pleas don't hack it up and put it on Youtube

P.S. Sorry the sound sucks. It is hooked into a Video Sync Module for the Motec system and I suspect this is part of the problem I have getting decent audio from the files they send me. Then again what do I know?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Here also is a second video. It is myself and two of my co-drivers, simultaneously inserted into an HD frame. As I really want to avoid any direct opinions, I would prefer no-one mention any names. I should also add that the Indy driver drove earlier when the track was a little slicker. Still cool to see three different drivers accomplish about the same thing in different ways.

This ones bigger but worth it

Again, especially here, my video definitely copyrighted by me. Please do not reproduce.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

The second video does not work !
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

It works. Unfortunately it is really high resolution in order to get all three videos in the frame so it takes a pretty good computer. In looking at it I might be able to fit the videos in a smaller frame. I'll look at it further.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:36 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great line! You made 1:11 look pretty easy...

What's your opinion of the track?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very freaking cool!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Great video...
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Blocktrader
I noticed every non-pro entering way wider than the pro line in the 180 turns. There is no reason to do this at PBIR as the runoff is paved. Hopefully this video will help a bit for anyone going there.
Great videos, thanks. What you describe above is very common: the "school" line versus the "fast" line...
Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Great videos, thanks. What you describe above is very common: the "school" line versus the "fast" line...
I would agree. The more I drive the track, the narrower my entry's are... specifically in the two 180's. I haven't spun yet so I'm still not trying hard enough.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I would agree. The more I drive the track, the narrower my entry's are... specifically in the two 180's. I haven't spun yet so I'm still not trying hard enough.
Pretty common at other tracks with 180's as well. Some of it, of course, is predicated on car and set-up.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your three-way video is terrific! Guess you must have selected closely matched laps, but its still impressive to see how well synchonized they were. There's an object lesson in there for the average driver, too!

The MoTeC VSM is a simple audio pass-through, so its suprising to hear that you think it was killing audio quality. Its possible, I guess, but maybe not highly probable. Pretty easy to test that theory though. Would be very cool to see the MoTeC data on your video.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

MoTeC has a brand new recorder device that eliminates the chase cam connection and will overlay the channel data from an ADL or ECU.

I know the DPs aren't the sexiest looking cars, but after working with them, I think they are awesome cars and man can they take a beating. I'd like to see Porsche get behind the v8 100%, that is a cool engine. The flat 6 just doesn't belong in the car.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
TeamWheels
Intermediate

Great videos. Thanks for sharing. Was the Cup Car a 997 (IMSA or GrandAm)? Also, did you end up using the same line in both cars (Cup and DP) given differences in weight, downforce etc.?

Last edited by TeamWheels; 12-19-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MoTeC has a brand new recorder device that eliminates the chase cam connection and will overlay the channel data from an ADL or ECU.
Its a nice piece. The base recorder is a Xeetek product made in Melbourne, right near the MoTeC HQ. They've added a video processor to overlay the data streamed from the ADL on the MoTeC CAN bus. The price point I was told is somewhere just south of $2K, but talk to your MoTeC dealer for the 'official' price.

Very nice work, and a great result. They've been working on this for longer than you might imagine, and the released product shows it. Not sure if they are shipping yet, but it won't be long if not.

Quick Reply: *Video* One lap of PBIR in a Daytona Prototype