Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Fabcar arm - ball joint source?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 944 Fabcar arm - ball joint source?

My 944 took a bit of a wallop into the wall at the NASA championships last fall. I thought it would probably be a good idea to proactively replace the ball joint - among other repairs. I asked the shop that's pulling the frame to replace the ball joint, but they told me their unfamiliar with the Fabcar arms, using Charlie Arms for their racecars. They asked if I could source the ball joint for them.

I bought the car with the Fabcars already on, so I'm at a loss on where to get the parts. The car is an 89 944 n/a. Any leads/ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:26 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Smart Racing products or OG Racing
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cris,
I've got a little snippet of you before the hit. If I can figure out how to cut it down I'll post it.
You got loose coming out of the keyhole, I went left and then I saw you coming back. I jerked my wheel to kick out my rear end in the hopes you wouldn't hit me....it worked.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Thanks, I'll give OG a call.

I've got a little snippet of you before the hit. If I can figure out how to cut it down I'll post it.
You got loose coming out of the keyhole, I went left and then I saw you coming back. I jerked my wheel to kick out my rear end in the hopes you wouldn't hit me....it worked.
Glad it worked out for somebody

Yeah, I caught the first one, but it snapped the other way and I was gone. Being right next to the grass didn't help any. Once I was into the mud and wet grass I was just a passenger. That was the last lap of the race and I thought I was being careful putting down the power coming out of the keyhole, but my right foot must've gotten greedy. Gotta love rain races. I do well most of the time, but sometimes get bitten.

I'd love to see the video.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OG Racing usually has the full set of Fabcar arm parts in stock - pins, hardware, monoballs, bushings etc.

The pins are spendy, the monoballs are reasonable. If your pins have not been replaced, at least take a really close look at them for scratches/dings/etc that will definitely make them candidates for replacement.

Also, take A LOT of care when pressing the new monoballs into the arms. Its easy to deform the inner edge of the monoball cage, which can lock a new ball up solid. Don't ask me how I know this, OK?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
My 944 took a bit of a wallop into the wall at the NASA championships last fall. I thought it would probably be a good idea to proactively replace the ball joint - among other repairs. I asked the shop that's pulling the frame to replace the ball joint, but they told me their unfamiliar with the Fabcar arms, using Charlie Arms for their racecars. They asked if I could source the ball joint for them.

I bought the car with the Fabcars already on, so I'm at a loss on where to get the parts. The car is an 89 944 n/a. Any leads/ideas?

Thanks!
I think you should sell the car and get a miata or something

Sorry, couldn't resist..... good luck with the fix.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

OG Racing usually has the full set of Fabcar arm parts in stock - pins, hardware, monoballs, bushings etc.
Thanks Tony. I was talking to OG and it seems the shop had gotten to them a 1/2 hour before I did, and they were boxing the parts as we speak. I'm going to let the shop worry about installing them correctly.

And I won't ask you how you know, as I think I already know the answer
Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Rob wrote: I think you should sell the car and get a miata or something
When I sold the 73 911 E car, I was torn on what kind of racing I wanted to do. In the end it came down to either Spec Miata or 944Cup. Then somebody told me that Rob races an 944 and that was it. Decision made. So you can put the blame on me racing a 44 squarely on your shoulders

And I wouldn't want to abandon you now!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Let's see that video John...!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris Brady
When I sold the 73 911 E car, I was torn on what kind of racing I wanted to do. In the end it came down to either Spec Miata or 944Cup. Then somebody told me that Rob races an 944 and that was it. Decision made. So you can put the blame on me racing a 44 squarely on your shoulders

And I wouldn't want to abandon you now!

Gee, thanks. Since I am so influential, I suggest that you use Toyos exclusively next year The new ones are much faster than Hoosiers, really, trust me......

Quick Reply: 944 Fabcar arm - ball joint source?