Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iRacing.com opens to everyone

Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default iRacing.com opens to everyone

Anyone on it yet? (yes, I did read the thread on sim racing, but it hasn't been updated in a while, and it isn't iRacing specific)

I'm considering joining. I've fooled around with GT4 and rFactor, but this seems like a completely new level. And, the racing leagues with safety ratings adds a whole new dimension. If it's good enough, I may need to finally figure out how to mount a steering wheel in a comfortable position on my computer desk.

So, is it worth the subscription fee?

--michael
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, very addictive and much cheaper than the real thing
Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

I haven't raced with anyone, but I've spent a bunch of time driving their sim. It's awesome and worth it. The tracks and physics are completely correct.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me know when it supports the Mac natively...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a problem with racing simulators. The lack of 'seat of pants' feedback makes it difficult for me to drive those things.
My son also mentions the lack of feedback is 'odd'.....but he ends up driving the wheels off of everything anyways.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I have a problem with racing simulators. The lack of 'seat of pants' feedback makes it difficult for me to drive those things.
My son also mentions the lack of feedback is 'odd'.....but he ends up driving the wheels off of everything anyways.
That is a great point and something that I mentioned to them when I was trying it. Their answer was pretty good and realistic. It went something like we have three sensory inputs when we drive - vision, sound, and feel (seat of the pants). The sim can give you vision and sound. By using these, you make them stronger and better for when you have all three senses while actually driving. I can tell you that driving the iracing.com sim is amazing. If you learn to look at the gauges so that you have real entry speeds into corners, it's awesome.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's a great sim! Oh wait, I work for iRacing so I might be a bit biased.
Kevin
Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Let me know when it supports the Mac natively...
+1
Old 08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
You can get past it with time. I "drive" a PC game called GTR2, and it has pretty good physics and an online community that allows downloads of tracks, cars and car setups. It's never the same as seat-of-the-pants, but it is close enough to be educational.

I may try iRacing. They have Summit Point on the list of tracks. I've just never been much of an on-line gamer.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I was a (late) iRacing beta tester and joined for a year mostly to support them as it is a great system. I haven't been running it much as it's RL track season but I think come November i'll hop on more. Looks like 1/2 of NH is employed there!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by kevin135
I think it's a great sim! Oh wait, I work for iRacing so I might be a bit biased.
Kevin
Congrats on the roll out. If you have this info, can you compare/contrast the service with something like GTR2 (which is sold as a boxed software program, with on-line gaming functionality)?

I'm fairly interested in trying it out. My biggest concern is whether I would put enough consistent time into it to justify the recurring subscription cost. Given that Winter is coming, I'm much more likely to have the time to put into it.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:27 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

if your pc can run rfactor will it be able to support iracing?
i think i may join but i want to make sure i can run it on my pc first.

LTC i took one of my old karting seats, mounted it to some plywood, then i made a steering column the same height and angle of my kart and made a mount for the pedals, i would sit and run rfactor in it so i would get use to being in that uncomfortable seat for hours. Now my little 4 yr old does it, i tell him to just follow the black path and he runs the cars around the track no problem.

Ltc when you get a chance pm me, i have some questions for you regarding getting the little guys involved.

thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Anyone on it yet? (yes, I did read the thread on sim racing, but it hasn't been updated in a while, and it isn't iRacing specific)

I'm considering joining. I've fooled around with GT4 and rFactor, but this seems like a completely new level. And, the racing leagues with safety ratings adds a whole new dimension. If it's good enough, I may need to finally figure out how to mount a steering wheel in a comfortable position on my computer desk.

--michael
where is the sim thread?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Congrats on the roll out. If you have this info, can you compare/contrast the service with something like GTR2 (which is sold as a boxed software program, with on-line gaming functionality)?

I'm fairly interested in trying it out. My biggest concern is whether I would put enough consistent time into it to justify the recurring subscription cost. Given that Winter is coming, I'm much more likely to have the time to put into it.
Greg - i'm very familiar with GTR2 though I believe rFactor has a better net-code and overall support (car series and tracks). They are both very different animals compared to iRacing in most ways with the possible exception being general graphic quality (iRacing tracks will always be more accurate though). Wait until you have a LOT of time to judge it as I can almost guarantee your disappointment in driving the standard Solstice when coming from GTR2's myriad of choices..

Originally Posted by ajcjr
where is the sim thread?
I killed it if you are referring to the mega-thread I started last year.

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I would say yes, it comes down to an actual cost of less than $10 per month if you figure in credits you get for a 1 year subscription.. coffee money.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
LTC i took one of my old karting seats, mounted it to some plywood, then i made a steering column the same height and angle of my kart and made a mount for the pedals, i would sit and run rfactor in it so i would get use to being in that uncomfortable seat for hours. Now my little 4 yr old does it, i tell him to just follow the black path and he runs the cars around the track no problem.
Here is my son's seat.....Virtual Racing Chassis (gift from his uncle years ago); nice little piece of work

www.bobearlracing.com

He will actually wear his racing helmet and sit in front of the 50" plasma (setup for him in the basement) for hours.
I chuckle when he comes upstairs and complains that he was thrown out of a game for lapping the field.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iRacing.com opens to everyone