Dino Crescentini?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:03 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dino Crescentini?

Another sad story.

Says that this is not the same person who races in SCCA, but can anyone provide any info.

http://jalopnik.com/396762/vintage-r...osport-raceway
Old 06-23-2008, 02:09 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the same. From Stoptech,

All:

It is being reported today that Dino Crescentini was killed in a vintage racing accident. This is NOT Dino Crescentini of Manhattan Beach, California, but another gentlemen with the same name.

Dino is currently in Asia.

The report below has the correct information and should clarify anything you may hear or read .

As always, give me a call or drop me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Driver killed at Mosport
June 22, 2008
Norris McDonald
MOTORSPORT WRITER
A racecar driver and former Olympic athlete was killed this morning in a dramatic high-speed crash at Mosport International Raceway near Bowmanville.
Police would not identify the victim until next-of-kin had been notified but sources told the Star this afternoon that the deceased is Dino Crescentini of Rochester Hills, Mich.

Sources said Crescentini was in his early 60s. He was driving a Wolf-Dallara sports car in a race that was part of the 29th International Vintage Racing Festival at the track.

It was the first vintage racing fatality ever recorded at Mosport. Organizers cancelled the rest of the day’s racing following the accident.

Insp. Paul Hamilton of Durham Regional Police said that "(the driver) was heading northbound from corner six at Mosport. After this corner is a long straightaway and at some point his vehicle became airborne at an extremely high rate of speed and rolled end-over-end.

"The driver was transported to Bowmanville hospital where he succumbed to his injuries."

Crescentini had been involved in vintage racing for more than 10 years. The car in which he died was a centre-seat, closed-wheel vehicle that had been owned by Canadian industrialist and Formula One team owner Walter Wolf and driven in the 1977 Can-Am Series by the legendary Canadian driver Gilles Villeneuve.

Crescentini was an all-round sportsman. He was a member of the San Marino (Italy) bobsled team that competed at the 1992 San Marino Olympics.

Vintage racing is made up of 10 classes ranging from pre-World War II racers to cars that were entered in races as recently as the late 1980s. The headline group this weekend featured cars that raced in the original Can-Am Series (McLarens, Lolas) from 1966 to 1974.

Hamilton said he believes this is the first major crash at Mosport in several years.

Durham’s traffic management unit was investigating.

With a file from Robyn Doolittle

Dan Lelchuk
President
Centric Parts
StopTech
Power Slot
626/961-5775(voice)
626/961-5877(fax)
danl@centricparts.com
www.everythingbrakes.com
www.centricparts.com
www.stoptech.com
www.powerslot.com
Old 06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Indeed - Dino C. was a vintage racer from our area, a local guy, I knew him (somewhat peripherally) from my home track, Waterford Hills... he was out there as recently as our last race with his old Alfa F1 car... helluva guy, sad to see him pass...

(that's him in the middle)
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Very sad. Those cars are just as dangerous now as they were in the 70s.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

RIP
Old 07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dino was a neighbor and a friend, his generosity was boundless, his spirit and integrity were unflappable. I met Dino a little more than four years ago when we were at the Village Mall of Rochester Hills showing our cars he had his Boxster S there and I had my 930 BTR clone he was admiring my car and did not realize I lived across the street from him. The conversation went from cars to watches and a friendship was born. Dino rubbed shoulders with some of the wealthiest people but yet his humility was remarkable.
While at a wedding in Greece last year I met the Dino Crescentini of StopTech and we talked about what a small world it is and now even in death as they were in life they are confused as one for the other. I just learned of this and I am shaken by it. I can say of Dino that he had an amazing love of life and he left an indelible mark on the people who knew him.

Quick Reply: Dino Crescentini?