Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do tracks do enough to mitigate the impact of going off?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Did somebody steal Globe's ID?

Such a wonderful subject to contemplate since I am back at Watkins Glen in a few days!
Originally Posted by Brian P
Hopefully this will ease your mind about how much runoff room the Glen has...

Crazy Lucky Spin Video
Ah yes....I'm sure you remember that you did that spin in front of me! I slowed and watched your downhill slide, then passed you (in my old 993) as you got back underway, saying to myself "get on by that boy"!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Such a wonderful subject to contemplate since I am back at Watkins Glen in a few days!
Victory!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is nice to want safety improvements but we can be as insistent as we want and tracks will not spend the $$ to make the changes we might like. The real question is whether ALL participants would be willing and able to pay an additional $250-$500 per day to fund safety upgrades. We are a drop in the bucket for most tracks and they really don't care all that much if we come back. The ones that do care are the ones who really lack the money to make such changes.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
Victory!
No chance.....I chose my graphics so that the blue from the armco will match!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naw - it's completely in character. He's got a huge vested interest in improving run-off conditions. After all, he averages 1 four-wheels-off (or four wheels up?) per run session, IMX, so he's batting 1.000.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Naw - it's completely in character. He's got a huge vested interest in improving run-off conditions. After all, he averages 1 four-wheels-off (or four wheels up?) per run session, IMX, so he's batting 1.000.
I see, but I thought he was averaging more than 1.0 per event.......
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I said one session = one off, and there are eight sessions in a weekend...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, I said one session = one off, and there are eight sessions in a weekend...
Ah, got it! It is just my natural tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt and go easy on them I guess.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

It was just a matter of time before someone figured out this thread.

Ah, got it! It is just my natural tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt and go easy on them I guess.
Post of the week. Or maybe the year. Whatever, captured for posterity. See my sig.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Snork....
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

We can all agree that improving safety is a good thing but more runoff room isn't necessarily safer. WGI and VIR are similar tracks except for all the Armco. While more cars probably get damaged at the Glen, there might be more severe ones if they could somehow move everything back.

There are also things that tracks do to minimize the chances of offs. Taking some camber out of the off camber at the Glen, changing the hairpin at Sebring, and the redesign of LR come to mind. Fine line to walk there.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
There are also things that tracks do to minimize the chances of offs. Taking some camber out of the off camber at the Glen, changing the hairpin at Sebring, and the redesign of LR come to mind. Fine line to walk there.
Very fine line, isn't it? I'd don't know Watkins Glen, but in general, I'd hate to see tracks take negative camber out to prevent offs. Something like that is part of the challenge of learning to drive.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by flight747
When I read the OP, I immediately thought of Laguna Seca. Older track, good elevations changes and a lot of walls. I don't know if there is much they can do at that track. They're always changing for Moto GP etc. too. Of course there is the other extreme of Buttonwillow with massive amounts of run off areas.
Well yes but I think 2 guys died at BW in the last 5 yrs from rolls. They could still do alot to repack the dirt to the level of the track so that cars are not encouraged to dig in and flip. WSIR could do many things too. Some of the offs at WSIR are like a motocross track with jumps.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Well yes but I think 2 guys died at BW in the last 5 yrs from rolls. They could still do alot to repack the dirt to the level of the track so that cars are not encouraged to dig in and flip. WSIR could do many things too. Some of the offs at WSIR are like a motocross track with jumps.
This is really the sort of stuff I was thinking of when I posted to begin with. Little grooming things that can make it a bit safer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do tracks do enough to mitigate the impact of going off?