Sponsored by:

pros and cons of trailex trailers

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default pros and cons of trailex trailers

i have always had an enclosed trailer for my race cars but see alot of people use the trailex trailers. This will be my first trailer for a DE car.

Are trailex trailers worth the money compared to an enclosed trailer. You would have to spend a little more for a steel frame enclosed but just wondering opinions on thse trailers and having an open trailer compared to an enclosed.

thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have always thought that Trailex trailers where cheaply made and worked best when the tow vehicle is minimal. They always bring great resale and are popular, I just don't like the construction, lack of a closed deck, lack of features and function.

A steel enclosed trailer will be heavy and you will need to consider what you are towing with, even if you limit it to a 20' enclosed trailer.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have always thought that Trailex trailers where cheaply made and worked best when the tow vehicle is minimal. They always bring great resale and are popular, I just don't like the construction, lack of a closed deck, lack of features and function.

A steel enclosed trailer will be heavy and you will need to consider what you are towing with, even if you limit it to a 20' enclosed trailer.
i have had plenty of steel trailers, towed up to a 28' with a burban no problems at all.

I was thinking 22' for a car and some storage space.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Not really a fair comparison if you have the truck to pull an enclosed. An enclosed is a garage on wheels and would be preferable to most. I dont really understand or agree on the comments about the Trailex being cheap, lacking features and function. I find mine to be very well constructed and useful. I have a tire rack, two gang boxes and a bike mount. I actually prefer the open deck as I can climb under to do work on the car if necessary. They do now sell a welded trailer and I believe that you can get a full deck. Most buy them for the lightness which is nice as you dont need a 3/4 ton to pull them and it makes it easy to move around when not attached to the truck. They are more expensive than a steel trailer but they hold their value very well.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Always get your $$ back with trailex but if you already have a suburban save some $$ and go used steel flat top.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trailex is the best thing we've ever bought. Purchased back in 1998. Move it around by hand, tow easily with a v6 SUV and the customer support is great. They're basically giant erector sets, have never had durability problem.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey

I have had a different experience. I find that Trailex are well built and solid. You can have a full deck if you want it, Optional. Its versatile as you can set them up to haul a variety of cars. Lightweight is good for me around the house if I have to move things around. My weighs 900lbs and I do not even know its behind me.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
I have had a different experience. I find that Trailex are well built and solid. You can have a full deck if you want it, Optional. Its versatile as you can set them up to haul a variety of cars. Lightweight is good for me around the house if I have to move things around. My weighs 900lbs and I do not even know its behind me.
There is a lot less windage with an open trailer, making it easier to pull (less mental strain in cross-winds and in truck traffic). And if you need to store the trailer near your house, it's less of an "eyesore" than a giant white box (from a neighbors' perspective).
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Con: It is not an ATC. I have used both and I think ATC trailers tow much better.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a Trailex (bought new) for 4 years and never had a problem (except for that axle bearing...), then sold it in 2003 for $500 less than purchase price.
1 unmentioned advantage is that in the winter I could store it in my garage with the track car on it. Very convenient.
Moved to an enclosed for all of the obvious reasons; I now own a diesel duallie and a whole bunch of stuff I never knew I needed.
An open Trailex is a very appealing option. Someday I may go back.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Enclosed is great for taking tons of stuff to the track and storing tons of stuff at home.
Open trailers are easy to tow. Aluminum ones are as costsly as entry level enclosed steel trailers, but steel ones are a lot less.
Rough estimates:
Steel enclosed - 3000lbs $6k
Steel open - 2000lbs $2k
AL open - 800lbs $5k

If you have a strong tow vehicle I'd buy one of the steel ones.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

thanks for the comments, i am just use to having an enclosed and would rather go with an open for some of the reasons listed above but do not know if i will be kicking myself because i lack the storage.

How do most of you have your open trailers set up. Tire rack, tool rack in the front etc...
Old 04-29-2008, 04:54 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

one thing I have noticed is that the deck height is pretty high on a Trailex. I have a Featherlite and have noticed that my deck is much lower. The Trailex design must make the on/off with low bodywork difficult...or at the very least requiring longer ramps.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
thanks for the comments, i am just use to having an enclosed and would rather go with an open for some of the reasons listed above but do not know if i will be kicking myself because i lack the storage.

How do most of you have your open trailers set up. Tire rack, tool rack in the front etc...
Here is an old thread with lots of good pics of various ideas:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/367846-photos-of-trailer-tire-racks-please.html
Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I love my Trailex. One of the great things about it that it's so light that after I unload the car I just roll it up in the grass next to the garage by hand. When it's time to take it out I just grab it and pull it back in the driveway. It's very convenient to be able to move the thing around by hand.

I don't load anything on the trailer, everything is in the truck...2 sets of wheels, spares, jack, fuel bottles, etc.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of trailex trailers