Scissor Lift Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Question Scissor Lift Recommendations?

I am considering acquiring a scissor lift to use in the garage where I store my track car. I've looked at the Bend-Pak 6,000 pound scissor lift and others that are similar. While they look very tempting, the one question I have revolves around clearance on a 911 so that I can drop the engine while the car is on the lift.

Can any of you offer opinions about this lift or those that are similar? While I thought about the 2-Post lifts, I think I would like something that is portable. Would appreciate thoughts, insights and opinions please.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
bmoore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby,

I dont know anything about the scissor lifts. I am also not sure if you can get a two post lift that are portable. However, we do have 4 of the 4 post lifts that are portable in the building. I had them mounted to the ground but you can purchase a 4 post and have it be portable. I or Todd can show you them the next time you are out at the Ranch. We can give you the contact info for where we got them. A fully loaded one with all the options was about $1650 plus $350 put together fee if my mind serves me right. We collectively purchased 5 at the same time from www. pantherlifts.com .

Thanks,

Barry
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Toby,

I have that exact lift and really like it. I can't speak for ease of use with a 911, but with my 924s and 968, I can drop the engine and tranny very easily. In fact, I dropped the tranny yesterday to swap in an S2 unit.

I've not had any problems, been using it for about 2 years. I think RedlineMan uses one in his shop and works on my 911's.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Barry and Tim. I'm going to look at the Panther Lift stuff. They have two-posters as well as the scissor lifts. If I remember correctly, the Panther guys are pretty close to Cresson so maybe I can get by there to check on both of them when I'm out in the Turbo. It's not as low as the 911, but can give me some ideas WRT clearance.

Toby
Old 07-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Bend Pak for a little over a year and I really like it. You can drop the engine in a 911 easily and I've also done front and rear suspension refreshes with it. You can get to everything on a 911 with one of these lifts.

I've also done a decent amount of BMW maintenance work with it. A two post would be better for certain things near the center of the car but overall a huge help over using jackstands.

It's very heavy but can be moved around with the provided dolly on the hydraulic unit.

Harbor Freight sells a similar unit a little cheaper but don't bother. I had to send mine back after a week.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Toby,

I do have ramps on both sides of the lift, otherwise I can't drive over it in my track car. Not sure if the 968 would drive over it or not with out ramps, the truck is no problem
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The scissor lift is a no brainer for a garage with low ceiling height. Mine has been great.

Last edited by Dudley; 07-02-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM
cgng30
Instructor

I am considering the norco lift since they have some additional safety features and limited lifetime warranty. and its red

http://www.norcoind.com/norco/products_86002.shtml
Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Toby,

Good choice.

I have this one, and use it regularly:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Pr...p/tppro-6m.htm

I use 3, 2x10's on each side, bolted together, and bolted into the concrete floor. You can likely get away with 2 boards depending upon your lowered suspension.

For the majority of work you do for track days it's perfect. 4-post drive on units are convenient for storage, and 2-post are slick, but you need ceiling height. This allows you to change wheels/access brakes, suspension, and even drop the engine with about zero interference. This style also allows you to fully use that bay, just drive into it, without the interference from posts.

Good luck!

Glenn
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I have indeed had a Rotary 48" lift for 4 years or so. It has been a great tool. I use it constantly. No complaints. I do need ramps to get most Porsches on. More stuff in the way, but... You can drop front or rear major assemblies if you put that end of the car on the back of the lift. I move it around to clean under it or lift things elsewhere. I'm thinking of buying a second one!

I've always wanted to take it to the track just to try and show up the rich guys with their toter homes.

Quick Reply: Scissor Lift Recommendations?