Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-nose trailers (enclosed) - where to mount tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:04 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-nose trailers (enclosed) - where to mount tires?

Those of you with enclosed v-nose trailers, what did you do for a wheel/tire rack? The v-nose is nice for aerodynamics, but a PITA for storage. It's easy to get a tire rack or a bunch of cabinets in a square front trailer, but I'm not seeing how the v-nose trailers work out.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Not an expert in trailers but most I've seen, have the tire racks at the very end (on either side just before the ramp door). There is this guy in our region that has a wicked v-nose trailer. Had ma frame custom made to support a tool box, tire rack, small generator and fuel tank. Not sure about tong weight but very nice setup.

One of the moderator(Bob Rouleau) knows him for sure. Maybe he can chimey in!!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

I've seen guys use "E" track on both sides of the trailer and bridge the span with 2 aluminum shoring beams that makes a cradle for the tires.

Here's a link to the shoring beams and "E" Track: Beams
Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't bother with a rack (I think they get in the way). I simply fasten them to the floor during transit with a couple straps into D-rings. I have a 24' trailer with plenty of space between the car and the workbench.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
I've seen guys use "E" track on both sides of the trailer and bridge the span with 2 aluminum shoring beams that makes a cradle for the tires.

Here's a link to the shoring beams and "E" Track: Beams
That's what I did; it works well, but the barrier it creates between the front of the trailer and the back is a bit irritating.
If I had thought about it when I was buying the trailer, I would have had the right wall reinforced to hold a tire rack for 8 tires. But, I didn't know better at the time.
I have lower and upper cabinets in the nose; I have thought about ripping out the lower to replace with a low down tire rack, but am reluctant to lose the very nice storage.
Some have installed tire racks on the wall without factory reinforcement (my trailer has interior walls so you don't see the studs) but CargoPro (Thule) advised against it.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:23 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom W
I don't bother with a rack (I think they get in the way). I simply fasten them to the floor during transit with a couple straps into D-rings. I have a 24' trailer with plenty of space between the car and the workbench.
Can you show a picture? Do you have them stacked vertically or something?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer is with the car at the shop so I can't get a picture but it's pretty simple.

I stack the two fronts and two rears seperately. A D-ring centered in the middle of the stacks and a D-ring between the two stacks. A stap goes up through each stack of tires and to the "3rd" D-ring. I've thought of making a small dolly to roll them around on, but have never gotten around to it. It's a minor pain to move them in and out, but I generally use both sets and it does keep the space open.

I have cabinets on one wall of the trailer and I have some coat hooks to hang stuff on on the other. I wanted the interior open and unconstricted by a tire rack. It's a lot easier to have a couple chairs in the trailer and no worries about wacking your head on a rack.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

From the FWIW dept., here are some pictures of how I store the extra tires in my trailer. I elected not to have floor cabinets since the cabinets wouldn't allow open access for storage for large items. I had a piece of diamond plate aluminum bent to make a large work shelf and I could use the area under it for storage of tires, etc.

I used "E" track surrounding the area with connecting straps as a way of holding everything in place. Should I need the area for something else, it is easily opened up without having to disassemble anything.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just ordered a new ATC V nose and I did a 8' rack against the curb side wall, all the way back by the rear door. I initally wanted to do the E track on both sides with the aluminum cross braces, but ATC hadn't previously done the engineering on that design and it would have cost a bunch extra. I did add 6" extra height to the trailer to be sure and have clearance between the bottom of the rack and the roof of the car.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I did...

Old 06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Wow, Ed, where does the car go?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Car! Not only do I put the car in there, but also a quad, easy-up, whole pile of spare parts, sales and alignment gear, generator, folding tables and chairs, etc. It is coming time for a bigger trailer! I just order a new F450 which will give me more options. I am designing a 42' Gooseneck stacker in the utmost detail. Hopefully it will come to fruition in 2008.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Newman
Car! Not only do I put the car in there, but also a quad, easy-up, whole pile of spare parts, sales and alignment gear, generator, folding tables and chairs, etc. It is coming time for a bigger trailer! I just order a new F450 which will give me more options. I am designing a 42' Gooseneck stacker in the utmost detail. Hopefully it will come to fruition in 2008.
Talk about "the slippery slope !"

Congrats in getting your trailer just right. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the tires also. Currently they go in the back of the P/U or on the floor of the trailer...
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ed, this is an excellent deal (shameless self promotion):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1772&rd=1&rd=1
Old 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Not bad, but I am looking for something longer and shorter. I am looking to do a stacker that is only 9 1/2' inside about 11' outside and long enough for a decent "shop" and a lounge area up in the gooseneck.

Quick Reply: V-nose trailers (enclosed) - where to mount tires?