Sponsored by:

ATC vs Featherlite; enclosed trailer questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ATC vs Featherlite; enclosed trailer questions

I've started to look more seriously at an enclosed aluminum trailer, and favor the ATC and Featherlite. I've looked at all the old threads on the topic that I can find, but still have a few questions. The advertised weights for the base ATC 20 and 24 are 2400 and 2550lb, (3050 and 3500 for the Featherlite). The Featherlite dealer in central FL protested the reason for this was the larger extrusions, closer studs (12" oc vs. 16"oc), beefier axle framing, and longer tongue section on the featherlite. I did get to compare the 2, since he had an ATC on hand that was traded in, and the Featherlite does seem to have a more substantial build to it. I was concerned when he told me that the tongue section on the Featherlite goes back 7 studs into the main frame, and the ATC goe back 4, and that they get quite a few ATC's in on trade with cracks in the welds due to the extra stress.
What do you guys think who are using the ATC's? The base ATC is less expensive, but when built the same with vnose, extruded floor, ATP ramp, and 6'6" ceiling, pricing is pretty equal, so that's not much an issue. However, the weight difference between the two is. The 24 ATC is almost 1000lbs lighter.
Also, I know the usual advice is to pick the larger size, but I'll attach below a picture of one of the best outfitted trailers I've seen. I spent a lot of time at the last DE looking at trailers, and this guy's 20' had much more stuff in it/more efficient layout than most of the 24's I saw.
My planned usage is do 12 events a year distancing 2-12hrs from home, split between racing a spec racer ford, and DE with the 993, carry needed tools, tires, etc, and tow with something along the line of the last body style denali (6ltr) or suburban, or the current body range rover (same power/torque/tow rating as tahoe, 3" shorter wheelbase).

Thanks,
David

Last edited by dwe8922; 04-26-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 AM
slammed1000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

david, i have been looking at the atc line of trailers also. i want a open trailer do to needing to haul my car,motorcycle and tractor. i have 2 trailers now and would like to get down to just 1. the featherlight trailers are built heavy. there are 1/3 more crossmembers as well as being larger. a friend just purchased a featherlight open trailer and i have to say its built great. the same trailer that atc does is 500lbs. lighter. atc is built in northern indiana and a distributor is just a few hours away from me. i am in the same boat but there is a huge price difference. the 20ft atc can be bought for $3700 and the featherlight is $5600. i cant justify the $2k difference plus being lighter i may take the risk. if your dealer wont give you a deal i can send you to a place that will......
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had a 20' ATC for about three years now. No problems and I think it is great. I have not found the 20' length limiting. I carry tools, will be carrying air, multiple sets of tires, have front cabinets, etc. It is a good trailer. As has been posted elsewhere, contact Rezner Trailers as Bob Rezner is a great source for ATCs.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having seen plenty of both, and owning a 24' Featherlite, I have to say it really depends on what you plan to trailer. If you are going with a car and some essentials, and will not be getting close to the trailer GVW, I'd say go with the best value. If you are going to load that puppy up, you are better off going with the stronger built trailer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would absolutely check ebay and racingjunk for Optima trailers. Optima is Pace's "premium" brand and they are spectacularly made; head and shoulders above ATC and featherlite, approaching the 'serious' stuff like GoldRush or Wildside. Because they just launched it a few years ago and don't have the reputation, they don't seem to be selling fast. Consequently I've seen some amazing deals on last year's trailers on ebay. Since the company is in Georgia you also save the $1K delivery bill.

Here is one on there now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Dynamite 76
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

That is one sweet set up.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I have had a 20' ATC for about three years now. No problems and I think it is great. I have not found the 20' length limiting. I carry tools, will be carrying air, multiple sets of tires, have front cabinets, etc. It is a good trailer. As has been posted elsewhere, contact Rezner Trailers as Bob Rezner is a great source for ATCs.

Jupe,

What's your interior height?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a ATC stacker, 20' box plus a 4' V nose. I have been very happy with it, the build quality is excellent. One thing I liked about buying the ATC vs. the Featherlite is that I worked directly with the factory sales rep (Jeff Shenk) on my design and layout. Every detail can be spec'd to your needs. I couldn't get the same service from Featherlite, the FL dealers I spoke with didn't know car haulers well and it would have been tough to refine my design working through them.

If I were to go back to a single height trailer I would do a 20' box + the 4' V nose. Cabinets work well in the V so you get the extra storage without adding much to the length. The V nose design only adds about 1' to the normal length - 20' box + 4' tounge or 20' box + 4' V nose + 1' tounge. The V nose also helps if you ever plan to tow behind a motorhome.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

any reason why you specifically want an aluminum trailer? steel is much cheaper.

i bought my 20' enclosed steel trailer for $5500 from Rezner Trailers in my hometown of Duncan, and couldn't be happier. GVWR is 7000lb, empty trailer weight is just over 3000lb
Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was very interested in the idea of specific holders for things instead of cabinets. I would think things would get stacked up on top of each other and lost in cabinet, and with the 2' v nose in the picture above, the roll cab tool box fit w/o intruding into the 20' box section. Most of you have gone with cabinets, so what do you think?
I'm also curious to see what you think of the tire rack crossing the trailer. Its just two beams attached by e-track, vs. the pitpal fold down racks on the side. I think he did it that way to make it easier to walk along the sides?
How do you enter the car with the standard wheel wells? I saw several raised floor/escape door combos at Roebling (one guy had his put in the wrong place, so he never could use it). The featherlite dealer said that with the raised floor, it doesn't tow as nicely. Another generalization of interest he said was that back to back a v nose will be a little more stable pulling, and that the 2' v will add about 2mpg, and the 4' about 3mpg, over their flat front.
I was impressed at how much the trailer I showed above could fit equipment wise (tires, toolcab, compressor, jack/stands, etc) being a 20' v nose. Given that he's not using it for racing, and doesn't really carry any spares, what kinds of things would you need the extra space of a 24' for? The cost difference isn't much, and I have space to store it, but would like to stay away from a diesel if I can.

Thanks!
David
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

No real reason against steel other than weight which I guess can be negligible in some cases. The cost savings would be nice. I have pulled w/ an open steel for 5 years which stays outside all year, and haven't had much trouble with rust; repainted it once in that time. I like the idea of the extruded Al floor instead of wood, but ATC says their flakeboard type wood floor is warranteed for 15years.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

The first pic looks like Christian's trailer. Very nice setup.
I have an open ATC trailer. Very happy so far. The price was $2k-2.5k less than other aluminum trailers.
I would have bought an enclosed but tow vehicle and storage outweighed the advantages for me.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Weight was an important factor for me in choosing a trailer last December. I originally thought I wanted aluminum and found the Feeatherlite expensive and heavy approaching steel weights. I liked the ATC's a lot, but for the money I bought a Pace Aerosport (steel). BTW, I wouldn't take the saleman's word on cracks in ATC's, I'd ask to see his documentation.

So my 28ft. Pace Aerosport has the 4' V-nose. It pulls incredibly well and light much more so then the 20ft. box front end I towed previously. It's the same frame as their Daytona models. The 24ft. with 3,500 lb axels weighs 3460., the 20 ft. model weighs 3142 lbs. My. 28 ft. sold for $16k, I would think the 20ft model woud be significantly less. Just my $02....
PS: Don't mind the silly photo on their site. It sits and looks like a regular trailer....

http://paceamerican.com/trailers/aerosport/

Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Janni
Intermediate

We have a 6 year old Featherlight 48' gooseneck. It looks and drives brand new. I think we could get what we paid for it - as the cost of aluminum has increased big time. Resale is much better on the f'lite. My trailer dealer - Golden Gait in Charlotte NC sells and services all the NASCAR rigs and did almost ALL our customization on site for less than doing it at the "factory". They are the largest car trailer dealer on the east coast. The owner has been approached several times by ATC llloking to add him to their dealer network - each time, he lets his shop guys go thorugh the ATC trailer and bring back a list of issues that they don't like. So far, the list hasn't been short enough to sign them up - but it gets shorter every time.

Things like the extrusions for the wheel wells, the beefier underframe (that's steel by law, btw) and the fit / finish is superior to anything out there. We didn't spend money to line and insulate the trailer as we never planned to air condition it or sleep in it. We can power wash it with a scrubbrush and Simple green once or twice a year and it always looks brand new - the Trailex guy that comes to our events always comments that it's a "nice trailer" - evern though it's going on 6 years old.

Call Golden Gait - ask for Squire Ford - tell him Janni sent ya - they wil take good care of you - inventory is always IN STOCK and they can customize as well as the factory can on site. The shop is EXCELLENT - they are very experienced with car trailers. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Hey that first image looks very familiar......The use of the e-track and beams allows me to remove and have a completely open box if I want. It also allows me to add a third beam and add more tire etc. Did anyone notice the camera below the center brake-light that I can toggle to my sat-nav, makes backing up easy.

Very happy with FL but I did not compare to altenates as the dealer was very near my office. Good luck with your search let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: ATC vs Featherlite; enclosed trailer questions