Sponsored by:

BMW M3 V8 M5 are annihilating Porsche GT3RS....were done fans

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 03:01 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hubec:
<STRONG>I agree that it sucks pretty hard right now, but I'll bet dollars to donoughts that next year ALMS and GrandAm will allow (even encourage) privateers to run the GT2 engine (i.e. the turbo) in their GT3s.</STRONG>
You can race a GT2 in both series right now - the 993 GT-2 - both series in GT-2 (GTS)class. In fact, up until last year Roock campaigned a GT2 993 in the GTS class of the ALMS. Usually ran at the back of the field in all the races. From the LMS ALMS race last year:

Here is a GT2 team campaigning this year in Grand-Am:

And Another, this one from Schumacher Racing:

<STRONG>ALMS and GrandAm will allow (even encourage) privateers to run the GT2 engine (i.e. the turbo) in their GT3s.</STRONG>
No offense but this would never happen. It would cost too much and the privateers, forget it, don't have enough money for that. Besides Porsche would never support that since it would cost a fortune. Remember that the privateers buy their cars from Porsche just like the rest of us.

<STRONG>BMW Motorsport recently displayed 2 "street version" M3 V8s with leather & A/C. BMW promises that these cars are coming to retail sales.</STRONG>
Yes Joe, it was displayed, but behind closed doors and only for a few Porsche guys and the ALMS rules people. Obviously, no cameras were allowed and the engines did not run. To me this proved nothing. This is what motor BMW should be using in the M3:

Someone mentioned restrictors and yes this is the way to make it fair, but the jury is still out if they will in fact act and implement this.

By the way, the ultimate racing Porsche is still racing, albeit non-competitively in the GTS and GT2 class of both series, the GT1. This car is so heavily restricted that it cant run with the corvettes and the Saleens - seems like that is also a true injustice. This is the same car that won LeMans in 98, not that long ago in the tech curve...
Old 07-29-2001, 01:20 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Racing is racing if porsche wants to win it must step up to the plate and do something. BMW did thats why they are up front, I disagree about the bmw motor issue, I think run what you have and until porsche does they will be last in line. All the motors being used are on kill bmw, porsche, vette, viper and etc you can't win on past rep you must make hp bottom line and porsche is lacking hp. I praise bmw for stepping up to the plate and the old saying applies (you snoze you lose) wake up porsche it's about that time lets win some races. SWAMP MONSTER
Old 07-30-2001, 04:20 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, at last weekends ALMS race at Sears Point, the BMW North America Racing Director stated that the street M3 V8 cars will only be available in Europe, not in the good old USA.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:14 PM
Doc
Racer

What about the new Carrera GT with it's V10? What if anything has anyone heard about the intended usage of that development regarding both production and or racing? Will there be a hardtop version for racing? ...Or possibly a prototype with that engine? I can't belive it was only intended to be a a $375,000 limited production, non-US streetcar.

I had heard some talk about Porsche building it to be a "Viper Killer ". However it seems now, that since Chrysler has is no longer running a factory backed team, that the Viper is no longer competitive. I recall a couple years back, there were dozens of Vipers dominating the ALMS and this past weekend at Sears Point, I only recall one or two which were no more than mere rolling chicanes. So that would render all of the millions in R&D Porsche spent on the Carrera GT pointless for that purpose.

So what IS the deal and what's the next great thing to come from Porsche? I cant believe the GT2 is it! ...and don't get me started on that absolutely ridiculous SUV!!! (Now there's a company killer if I've ever seen one.)

P.S. I have heard rumors… and I mean “rumors” of Porsche eventually doing away with the 911 platform all together. If this is true, what does the future hold for Porsche? A company that only produces Boxters and SUVs? God help us! Would a buyout from Ford be far behind? I can only pray I will never live to see a world without Porsche racing.

Quick Reply: BMW M3 V8 M5 are annihilating Porsche GT3RS....were done fans