Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to keep 968 running cool in race conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 10:51 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are 2 thermostat gaskets, thick and thin, in addition to shims behind the gasket. The thermostat directs the water flow to different parts of the engine on the 944 family, you can't remove it. remove as much antifreeze as you can, poor conductor. there is a block drain on the pass. side of the engine below exh. manifold, between #3&#4, 13mm head bolt. "burp" the system at the highest possible point in the cooling system, ie the bleeder screw, it's the only 12mm head bolt on the top/front of your engine, has a coolant hose just beneath it.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:58 PM
Gary Church
AutoX

Bad news underdog. The 968 runs hot when run hard at track events. This is endemic to the 968 the hotter the weather the worse the problem. There is no easy fix or corrective action like changing or removing themostats.

This is NOT a 944 problem. I ran a 95 968 and our friends Paul and Donna run a 968 in PCA Club Racing. I sold my 968 and never quite found a solution. Paul and Donna have had extensive work done in a effort to affect cooling and still remain in PCA F Stock, but it has been an uphill battle and I don't know if the problem is solved. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:18 PM
Mark AW
Cruisin'

I used to get this problem racing a westfield. Eventually realised that ALL the air going thru the front should go thru the rad. So either junk the aircon or get a smaller air con rad and be fastidiuos about bunging up any little gap arround the edge of the rad. A lot of 951 racers bin the rad every year and buy a new one in an attemppt to solve this problem apparently the rads get furred up quick. mark
Old 08-26-2001, 08:41 PM
ast2000
Instructor

Regarding removing stuff from the A/C condesnsor - The more air through the raditiator the better! I purchased a tool to straignten the fins on any type os AC condensor or evaporator core (purchased at a local parts store for $18. or so). During the summer I run with much less anti-freeze and water wetter but still see a tendency to approach the redline during track events. I did wire both fans in parrallel and noticed a small decrease while driving on the street (I haven't gotten a chance to try it on the track yet.)
Old 08-27-2001, 02:33 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Have you tried adding a bigger oil cooler? That is what I would do. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: How to keep 968 running cool in race conditions?