Sponsored by:

Aluminum vs. Steel trailer weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum vs. Steel trailer weight

I'm looking at a new 24' enclosed trailer. Does anybody have any information on how much weight savings the aluminum trailers have over steel? ATC looks to be about 1000lbs or 25% lighter but as near as I can tell the Featherlite is about the same weight (3700-4000) as one of the premium Pace or Haulmark trailers. Featherlite looks to be made very well but I don't think you pay the price delta for weight savings. I'm debating on spending the extra money. Any comments on if it's worth it are appreciated.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:07 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you towing with the F250?

1,000 lbs is allot of weight. I'd go for the lightest trailer that fits your budget. I'd pass on the Featherlight. It's not light.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Are you towing with the F250?

1,000 lbs is allot of weight. I'd go for the lightest trailer that fits your budget. I'd pass on the Featherlight. It's not light.
I pull it with an F250 Crew LWB Diesel. It pulls great. It's more an issue of quality of the trailer and so on. I just assumed the aluminum ones were lighter.

You're dead bang on about the Featherlight. I just got back from the dealerand they pulled them both on the scale. The FL weighs the same as the high end Haulmark. It's been a couple of years since I bought a trailer. I always viewed the Pace/Haulmark stuff as middle of the road. Their high end models aren't cheap but they are pretty nice.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are using a F250 weight is not all that important. I bought a Millennium it weighs in at 3600 lbs. My 2500 Cummins pulls it like nothing and I am getting 14 miles to the gallon. Spend the money on the options you will want.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 24' TPD weighs 4000 lbs and the 2500 HD Duramax pulls it quite easily at 12-14 mpg. I think with the more powerfull trucks the trailer weight becomes a secondary issue and the options and build quality can be a bigger concern. I got the 24' with 3 axles so that I had plenty of room and increased stability. I'm very happy with the combination after the two tows in the last 4 weeks. And don't even consider the trailer without a winch! What a wonderful, easy, safe way to get the car into the trailer by yourself.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
My 24' TPD weighs 4000 lbs and the 2500 HD Duramax pulls it quite easily at 12-14 mpg. I think with the more powerfull trucks the trailer weight becomes a secondary issue and the options and build quality can be a bigger concern. I got the 24' with 3 axles so that I had plenty of room and increased stability. I'm very happy with the combination after the two tows in the last 4 weeks. And don't even consider the trailer without a winch! What a wonderful, easy, safe way to get the car into the trailer by yourself.
Help me out. I should know what TPD is an abreviation of but I don't. Like you guys, I think any of the diesels are amazing. I'm on my second one and get 12-15MPG pulling 8000lbs. Up to 20MPG without a trailer.

I also agree. After tonights trip to dealer, I think you buy on features. Lot's of good product out there.

The bad news is that any of the more "build to order" trailers are 10-16 week lead times.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I just got an ATC V nose 20'. I think the 20' start at 2500 lbs and then add the options. The featherweight was about 500 lbs heavier. My cert of origin says 3000# but I will have to have it weighed.

Mike
Old 03-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

They told me what TPD stands for when I picked it up, but it was in one ear, through the void, and out the other...

The trailer I bought is here . A nice bonus is that they all have ladders and you can go up onto the top and watch a race from a much better vantage point than in the paddock. It was funnny to see all the TPD trailers with people on them this weekend.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom W
They told me what TPD stands for when I picked it up, but it was in one ear, through the void, and out the other...

The trailer I bought is here . A nice bonus is that they all have ladders and you can go up onto the top and watch a race from a much better vantage point than in the paddock. It was funnny to see all the TPD trailers with people on them this weekend.
Nice looking trailer. I like the extra axle set up. My total immursion over the last couple of days into selecting a 24' has yielded the following results:

There are many good high end trailers vs. a couple of years ago

The alluminum trailers don't weigh that much less by the time you put heavy axles and options in the trailers. They do look cool.

They are all $12K to $20K depending on what you put in them.

Lead times are 4-16 weeks.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"If you are using a F250 weight is not all that important. I bought a Millennium it weighs in at 3600 lbs. My 2500 Cummins pulls it like nothing and I am getting 14 miles to the gallon. Spend the money on the options you will want"

Let me second the Millenium. I bought the 24" silver edition with alot of bells and whistles including the Vee nose and am very happy with it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the H&H Trailers http://www.hhtrailer.com/ . I picked mine up at the factory (Clarinda, IA) and saved a bunch but had to buy it through a dealer. It is heavy but very well built. I have the alum. diamond plate walkon roof which adds to the weight.
Jack
Old 03-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

After "further review by the NFL officials" I ended up buying the Featherlite after all. All of the premium trailers are good and I think in most cases the option packages with other brands are better. I also think others tend to look a little jazzier.

In the end, I just liked the welds and general simple build quality on the Featherlite. It really seems to be a nice piece of gear. Although I hope I don't have to visit them there is also a good stable dealer here in town.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 PM
banzaisan
Instructor

I looked at a Millennium trailer yesterday and the only concern I had was the interior height of the wheel well. It's over 9" tall which is too high to open my door. How do you get around this? I prefer to order my trailer with an escape door rather than using a winch.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I climb out the window. This got easier after I put on the Smart Racing Products quick release steering wheel bub and cut out the window frame. You could go Tom's route and get an electric winch with a remote. It looked easy once the car is lined up.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Boulder GT3
Racer

Originally Posted by banzaisan
I looked at a Millennium trailer yesterday and the only concern I had was the interior height of the wheel well. It's over 9" tall which is too high to open my door. How do you get around this? I prefer to order my trailer with an escape door rather than using a winch.
The one thing I decided with this recent quest is that there are good things about all the good trailers and trade offs. For example, the Featherlite has a really tall wheel well begging for the door to hit it. They have a version that has a short wheel well but it sits too tall for my tastes and then you have a steeper ramp angle to get the car in.

On the cars I don't use a winch with I make sure my clothes are clean, take my shoes off and use the window. Then I hit my head on the inside of the trailer and walk out.

I'm anxious to get the trailer and tow it to see if it works better than my 20".

On the final apples to apples weigh in it was only 500 lbs lighter than the Haulmark equal.

Quick Reply: Aluminum vs. Steel trailer weight