Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight protection: covers, clear film, or racers tape?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:05 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlight protection: covers, clear film, or racers tape?

Well, I broke ANOTHER headlight at the last track day...

Initially, I used racers tape whenever I went on the track. But, I grew tired of putting it on and (especially) taking it off (it's a street car too). Plus, I always hated the look.

After a while I just stopped taping the headlights, since it isn't required for most events, and I wasn't even sure that it was doing anything. Wouldn't you know it, I broke a headlight. Back to racers tape. Well, it wasn't long after that that I convinced myself that the last broken headlight must have just been plain old bad luck. Yup, I promptly broke a second headlight. Okay, I'm convinced now. My research shows that you can break a headlight when on the track if your headlights aren't protected.

Any suggestions on what to do? Here are the possibilities that I know of:

1. Racers tape: I don't like putting it on. I really don't like taking it off, and I don't want to have to clean up adhesive. It's also ugly... but so far it's worked well.

2. Headlight Covers? I've looked for them, but can't find who sells them!?!? Are they easy to install/remove? I like that the fact that they can be used to help personalize the car - I just got pictures back from my dad, where he took some great pictures of every other black 911 on the track... except for mine.

3. Clear protective film (3M?): It would protect the headlight on both the street AND track. But is it effective? Does it start pitting, or begin fogging/losing clarity?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Erick
Old 08-16-2004, 10:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Another option is Lexan pieces that replace the glass entirely. Since they're Lexan, they aren't brittle like glass -- and you save weight.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:12 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jack. Never thought about that possibility. Where do you get them?
Erick
Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Bud,

I use the clear, 3M protective film--nice product. It's actually a bit more substantial than the film label implies ... more of a pliable, sheet of plastic. It's been on my car for the last two seasons and there's no pitting or fogging. Good stuff.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Performance Products, catalog 56P, spring/summer 2004, page 156:

Weltmeister Racing Plastic Headlight Lens
http://performanceproducts.com/Produ...oductid=109200
H4 clear lens, #912963, $99.98/pair
H4 yellow lens, #912964, #99.98/pair
H4 race style smooth lens, #912967, $99.98/pair
(I installed the yellow lenses on my 92 Euro Cup, used 20% discount they email from time to time. They are not stock items, they are drop shipped direct from mfg, about 10 days)

Airplex clear headlight covers
http://performanceproducts.com/Produ...oductid=100653
H4, #901187, $29.95/pair

Racing Headlight covers
http://performanceproducts.com/Produ...oductid=105178
#911851, $99.95/pair

3M (thick) headlight film...same as Xpel headlight film kit.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10232
$49.99/pair for 911 (had them on my RSAmerica w/ H4's and have them on the Cayenne; invisible when installed). Install trick is to use a hair dryer to make them flexible to assist in final placement (they're thick and stiff out of the package).

Of course, your final choice will also depend on whether you have H5 lights (RSA stock, sealed beams, non replaceable lenses) or H4's (replaceable lenses; upgrade kits available from www.vertexauto.com http://www.vertexauto.com/item.wws?s...vertexauto.com and others). If you haven't already done so, I would strongly suggest replacing your H5's with H4's then add protection of your choice. You will have MUCH better lighting
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I bought my 3M head light and fog light protectors from Griots and probably spent too much but what the hell. I, too, did not want to deal with the hassle of having to tape up the headlights before every track event. My protectors look great, although I've only put about 10,000 miles on the car, and I have yet to have a cracked headlight or fog light. As Joey said, the material is pretty darn thick. No noticeable loss in light transmission; probably less than 1/10th of a stop of light, measured with an incident light meter.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:22 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, you could do it the "cheap and easy" way with the blue paper painter's tape; thick enough to protect, sticks well, comes off w/o leaving goop behind as does gaff tape. And depending on your car color, the "snazzy" blue becomes an accent. We've started using it to tell our buddies from all of the other red 944s and 911s out there. I don't want to give the "one finger wave by" to the wrong guy.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:49 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone!

It looks like there are no headlight cover options available for stock 964 H5 headlights. Apparently the H4 shape is different than the H5???

I'd love to upgrade to H4's so that I can use any of the replaceable lenses or headlight covers - not to mention having superior lighting. But it ain't cheap at $350 (Vertex). I'll have to look into that further... maybe for a later date.

So am I down to two options for my H5's? Tape or clear protective 'film'?

Thanks for the (predictably) great advice.

Erick
Old 08-17-2004, 12:14 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm a 3M user and happy customer. I carry painter's tape to the track so that other folks can tape their lights/hoods/fenders/etc and to make numbers if I can't use my magnetic ones.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:04 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
probably spent too much but what the hell.

Originally Posted by aeshultz
I don't want to give the "one finger wave by" to the wrong guy.

Man, what a nice change of pace from some of the more serious threads.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 AM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout popup headlights? I use them and I've never had a cracked headlight!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the film, got it at http://www.xpel.com, and I am happy with it. No fading or pitting so far. But to be fair, I have only had them on for 6 months and 3 track days plus maybe 1500 miles. It is definitely thicker than "film" and very easy to install also. I have it on my headlights and fog lights. I am thinking about getting some the raw film from Griot's and cutting it to do the front blinkers with.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Applying 3M painter's tape to the headlights will do virtually nothing to prevent a broken headlamp; it will help somewhat with holding the glass together, thus preventing you from dropping glass onto the track.
The thick film (Xpel, Griots, etc) will do a much better job at holding things together, but will not prevent the headlight lens from being damaged if an object wtih sufficient kinetic energy (i.e.it's mass and/or your velocity) will break the headlight lens...e.g. plastic coated automotive safety glass, windshields, etc

Given the similarities between H4 and H5 external dimensions (lens + trim ring), you should be able to install one of the 2 protective cover options over your standard headlights. It would also help to apply some self adhesive foam on the backside of the cover, to provide a cushion/space between the cover and lens.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I bought my car it had the film on the lenses. I don't know the age, but it was badly discolored and significantly reduced the light intensity (it was so bad I drove with the brights on and was fine). I removed the film and went the racer's tape route. However, the tape is a PITA to remove when you need to drive on the street so i recently bought some more of the film and will be using it.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Kim,
They don't stay on very good in my experience. I lost mine the first time I towed my car,with my previous open trailer I had to tow the car backwards, they didn't make it very far!

Quick Reply: Headlight protection: covers, clear film, or racers tape?