Motive vs. Griots one man brake bleeder

Old 02-26-2004, 10:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Motive vs. Griots one man brake bleeder

I'd be interested in hearing opinions between the Motive (pressure type) brake bleeder and the Griots One Man Brake Bleeder (suction type).
Both work without compressed air, so no problem at a track.

Opinions seem to be split 50/50 between pressure vs suction.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the motive bleeder because it fills your reservoir on the fly - pushes new fluid in while you are extracting it out through the caliper. I've never used the Griots suction type but it seems to me that you'd have to keep refilling the reservoir. With the Motive I just put the fluid in it, pump it up, and start bleeding without worrying about the fluid level getting too low
Old 02-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lewis,

I have used both systems but the Griots I have does require a compressor, so it may not be the same one you are referring to. I prefer the Motive. Like Bob says, you don't have to worry about sucking air into the system. Plus I found the Griots suction system induces air bubbles into the line, so it is impossible to tell if you are getting air out of your brake lines or if is just the suction causing bubbles.

Karl
Old 02-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I own a Motive and have used the suction style nd the Motive is by far easier to use when bleeding all the brakes. The only advantage the suction style have is less setup and cleanup since your using the fluid in the MC reservoir, so for a quick bleed of one brake it would probably be faster and easier, For all other tasks, bleeding all 4 calipers, flushing the system, bleeding clutch hydraulics, the Motive is by far easier and more effective the the suction style. As a track junkie I don't know how I could do without the Motive.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lewis,

I own both, and no question - buy the Motive. Works very well, unlike the Griot's.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:26 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Lewis,

Go with the pressure system, Motive or Snap-On (Blue Point). Fast, easy and reliable if you keep the reservoir full. I used the suction system once in a pinch and the pedal never really firmed up, never could figure where they air came from. Later I used a pressure system and voila' problem solved.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also heard that the pressure bleeder is better for cars with ABS brakes, although I don't know all the technical rationale for that statement. In any event, the Motive bleeder has always done a great job for me on both ABS and non-ABS cars, and it is a lot less money than the Griot's device.

While the Griot's unit got a great write up as "tool of the month" in the latest European Car magazine I don't see how the price difference is justified. And as mentioned above, the pressure system avoids the chance of bleeding the master cylinder dry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motive vs. Griots one man brake bleeder