JRZ vs. Moton vs. ProTrac ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
NicolasW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JRZ vs. Moton vs. ProTrac ???

Looking for insight into the differences between JRZ, Moton, and ProTrac. I remember reading somewhere that the founders of Moton and ProTrac started at JRZ and then split to form their respective companies.

Any comments into reliability, quality, tuning, and other experiences would be great.

Ultimate application is still a design idea, but would be an early 70's body 911 with 993 rear suspension, and 993 widebody (13" rear and 11" front wheels) with a target weight of less than 2100 lbs.

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed JRZ's and was warned they would need to be rebuilt every season. I am starting my third season and have had no leaks.

Cannot comment on the other brands.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bill walczak
I installed JRZ's and was warned they would need to be rebuilt every season. I am starting my third season and have had no leaks.
But have you had them dynoed to make sure they are still performing as they did originally. You may not necessarily notice a leak to indicate that the dampers need rebuilding. The dyno plot is the key.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:06 PM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're incredibly similar, since they were originally designed by a (now ruptured) trio of clever Dutch guys.

I have ProTrac triples and haven't used them long enough to get the settings right. Eventually I will. (I'm counting on Cuzzin' Bill to help me with F & R cannister pressures--unlike me, he actually drives his car and stuff... )

Moton's trackside support is reputed to be the best of the three, by far, which is why it has become a shock of choice for many pro and semi-pro racers. Just don't go thinking that their club sport series will perform at the level of their $5,000 full-race setup. You kinda get what you pay for with dampers.

Rebuilds-- Not to worry. You don't have to do this too often for a car running low-intensity PCA events and when you do, it is not expensive.

Lee in D.C.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If I can add to this,....

Moton Clubsports are really a big bang-for-the-buck. These are simply the "Full Monty" double-adjustable race shocks with 7, instead of 14 adjustments. Moton simply skipped every other "click". Other differences are steel, not alloy bodies and no swivels on the cannister lines.

They are not good as the triple adjustables, but they are half the price,...

Lee is right, Moton's support, both at the track and to their dealers, is simply superb. Nobody (thus far) does it any better.

You do get what you pay for,...IMHO, of course.

Quick Reply: JRZ vs. Moton vs. ProTrac ???