Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger airbag disable kit, Carrera GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passenger airbag disable kit, Carrera GT?

Planning a little road trip with my daughter in the Carrera GT and need to disable the passenger airbag. Did anyone do this? Having some trouble getting a quick answer from my dealer if it is possible to get a "disable kit" installed in the car.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:27 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really sorry to tell you this, but I believe it is impossible (but please correct me if I am found to be wrong). Porsche discontinued the production of the car precisely over this issue as the US changed the law and mandated that the passenger airbags be able to be dismantled (for children); they tried for an exemption and were denied. They then had to rush out the cars already made to make the US deadline which hurt the pricing of the car. And then the crash hit. So this seemingly innocuous issue actually had a big effect on the car. It is a very sophisticated and extremely fast system btw -- along with the explosives in the seat belts. I wouldn't chance it with your daughter unless she is of the proper age (again, sorry!!!)
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

It seems that the cable wiring in the Carrera GT is of the same type as in a Boxster from those days. A technician from Porsche informed me that we can use the same airbag disable kit as for a Boxster. Will try if this works - very easy to install and no adjustments to the car necessary.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Please let us know if it works. That would be good news indeed!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 AM
Stockholm996TT
Instructor

We ordered the Boxster airbag delete kit and were going to install a hidden belt clip under the passenger seat that could be used to enable or disable the airbag. Unfortunately this did not work and the operation was a fail. I am now of the opinion that it is not possible to solve this issue easily. Unfortunately!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Yes, that is unfortunate! The CGT is unique in a lot of ways to its siblings (like the security system)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:48 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stockholm996TT
We ordered the Boxster airbag delete kit and were going to install a hidden belt clip under the passenger seat that could be used to enable or disable the airbag. Unfortunately this did not work and the operation was a fail. I am now of the opinion that it is not possible to solve this issue easily. Unfortunately!
This might sound simplistic, but why don't you just remove the airbag? It's not the most expensive thing that you will see in the CGT and it will achieve the end result 100%.

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag disable kit, Carrera GT?