Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT Batteries Exploding?

Old 01-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CGT Batteries Exploding?

I now know of 3 CGT's that their batteries have physically exploded when their owners went to start them. Anybody else heard of this, and know why it happens or how to prevent it from happening?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 AM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Park on a hill and drift start it. Seriously though, new one on me. I've seen batteries explode on equipment but never on the CGT. Sounds like they were outgassing hydrogen, being over charged maybe? Not vented?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeygt
Park on a hill and drift start it. Seriously though, new one on me. I've seen batteries explode on equipment but never on the CGT. Sounds like they were outgassing hydrogen, being over charged maybe? Not vented?
That's what I thought, but all three cars were on porsche trickle charger and covered but by a porsche car cover. Maybe it happens as they get older, either way mines still on its original battery I think I'll change it this summer. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:01 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Optima batteries in all my equipment as lead acid batteries cause so many problems; burn holes in clothes, rust out the under tray and sometimes surrounding areas from vaporized acid. I'm sure others can tell of stories of how their car was rusted around the battery as well. In 10 years of using them, I've had only one fail, and I have maybe 20 in service right now. Certainly worth the extra price and peace of mind.
These explosions are known in other makes. Most any car with an enclosed battery and loose connection causes the problem. Remember the Bug with the battery under the rear seat? Blammo!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sounds like old, poorly maintained batteries with improper fluid levels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGT Batteries Exploding?