Sponsored by:

CGT at Porsche Experience for TV show

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:53 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Default CGT at Porsche Experience for TV show

A couple of weekends ago, I was asked to drive my CGT at the new L.A. Porsche Experience Center for a new Porsche show coming on CNBC Feb 25. I arrived Sunday morning 7:30am and pulled around back at the track next to 7 beautiful cars including a 550, 918, and another black CGT identical to mine (which was owned by the producer of the show). I wasn't sure what to expect, but just went with the program. First up, some still shots with my car parked on the track. Then came the excitement: "we are going to set up around the nurburgring and we'd like you to drive your CGT at speed around it"
Seriously? O.k.! I had not even seen that part of the track and I was going to be filmed driving around it? For a Porsche show? YES!
After they shot all the passes they needed getting all angles, I heard the next instructions over the hand held radio while sitting in my car: "now we'd like you to go all the way to the end of the straight (the keyhole) and come at us at the highest speed you can get to before braking into the nurburgring".
My reply: COPY THAT! I whipped the car around and headed back to the keyhole and was ready in minutes. Then the producer said "Action"!
I eased the clutch out and the moment the car rolled I respectfully rolled in full throttle and only lifted to shift. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rth - I flew by the camera man practically lying on his stomach inches from the track and could hear the RPM's hit over 7500. The nurburgring was now approaching much faster at this speed! I quickly noted a brake marker and I hit the brakes conservatively early being a first pass at this speed. As I went around the nurburgring, for a split second thought "damn, I could have braked later". Exiting the corner it was back to full throttle through the gears back to the keyhole. And then it happened! I heard and watched my clutch slip! NO!!! Moments later, the producer said over the radio "that was great, let's do it again". I radio'd back the bad news and to my delight, his response was "no problem, jump in my car". With in a few minutes, I was getting out of my CGT and climbing in the producers CGT. Back to the key hole and ready for the next run with the hand held radio riding along. The producer radio's "this time, I'd like you to stay far left to the straight so that you pass by the camera man very close.... ACTION!". As I'm flying through the gears full throttle, 3 things enter my mind (and exit within a split second): I hope these tires are good, don't crash the producers car, and that camera guy seems like he's nearly on the white line of track! I fly by him at full throttle as the CGT screams approaching 8000 RPM's. Around the nurburgring, full throttle on the exit, back past the camera man and.... "cut!" .... it was all over just and quick as it started.

Well, I have had the pleasure of driving many great cars. And I've raced some awesome race cars including my own GT3 Cup. However, with racing, you settle into a rhythm and almost a calming yet highly focused feeling comes over you... some say being in the zone. But driving this amazing CGT, a street car that gives you a feeling of excitement like no other, at speed at the brand new L.A. Porsche Experience center, for a new Porsche show coming next month...well, my 5 year old who was there said "daddy, you're smiling a lot today".
Old 01-16-2017, 11:08 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Ridiculous day!

You have guts driving an unknown WOT CGT

Pretty sure that is about as good as it gets look forward to seeing the action!

Congrats!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Awesome Mike! What a great story and can't wait to see it on the air.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Johnb55
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

That sounds like a fun day!
Too bad about your clutch, how many miles were on it? Did it hold better after it cooled, or did it continue to slip?
Any more info on the CNBC feature on Feb 25 (time or name)? I look forward to seeing it.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:26 PM
TJF
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I'm waiting for the a CGT event to come to the Porsche experience track,
so we can all join in the fun.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Clutch is fine. I let it cool down and then performed the process to get rid of the glaze on the disc. No slip now. I'll post more info such as the name of the show and exact time when I get more info. Thanks!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 AM
MikeGT
Racer

The name of the show is "Porsche: Decades of Disruption" on CNBC Feb 25th.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:09 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Sorry, trying to delete the duplicate comment above, but I don't know how!

Last edited by MikeGT; 01-20-2017 at 02:11 AM. Reason: trying to delete the duplicate comment.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 AM
poc62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

few photos from that day plus a photo Derek Bell
Attached Images     
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 PM
MikeGT
Racer

Such a fantastic day. Derek was so kind and engaging. All the people working on the show were so professional and gracious to everyone. Of course it was great to see a few racer and car enthusiast friends there as well. Can't thank you enough Robert.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Robert had me out there as well- you guys will really like what you see from this production.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:18 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Clutch is fine. I let it cool down and then performed the process to get rid of the glaze on the disc. No slip now. I'll post more info such as the name of the show and exact time when I get more info. Thanks!
Great story. Can you describe the process of de glazing the clutch? I've never had to do this but am curious. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:54 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Find a long straight and start in 3rd gear at about 1200 RPM's. Engage full throttle until about 2300 RPM's, then shift into 4rth and continue full throttle again until about 2300 RPM's before lifting. I've heard you can start the process in 2nd and go through all 3 gears, but I have not. When I bought the car with 800 miles, my clutch was slipping badly the first time I really got on the gas. I thought the clutch was toast, until a CGT Certified mechanic told me this process. I took the car out the next day, did this once, and have not had a problem for the last 5000 miles until now. On the way home from the above event after the clutch was slipping badly, I performed the same steps. No problem since then...
I'm not sure exactly what this does, but I've heard if the car sits too long the clutch plates can get glazed in some way. My understanding is this technique burns it off? Don't really know for sure, but it's worked for me twice.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

What you have explained more closely describes the "Acceleration Test" recommended by Porsche to test the condition of the PCCC. The break-in or de-glazing procedure is slightly different:

1. The vehicle shall be moved off at approx. 4,000 rpm and with the PCCC grinding for approx. 1 second.

2. The vehicle shall then be immediately accelerated under full load up to and including third gear. The acceleration process is stopped in third gear at 4,500 rpm. Vehicle speed is then roughly 100 km/h (62 mph).

In any case, I always recommend your procedure first to reduce unnecessary wear of the PCCC. In most cases the minimal slip if any during the Acceleration Test will de-glaze the surfaces enough to withstand the engines torque
Old 02-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Such a fantastic day. Derek was so kind and engaging. All the people working on the show were so professional and gracious to everyone. Of course it was great to see a few racer and car enthusiast friends there as well. Can't thank you enough Robert.
Derek is a true gentleman and sportsman. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Bentley function a few years ago. I told him he was one of my heroes in my younger days and he proceeded to tell me driving stories for most of the evening.

Quick Reply: CGT at Porsche Experience for TV show