Sponsored by:

Thinking of consolidating

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:25 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Thinking of consolidating

Currently I own three Porsches and three Ferraris. I am tempted to get out of all of them and get into a 918. I'm not looking to just add a 918, the point is to simplify life and just have one amazing car instead of a stable of cars that require a warehouse, maintenance, repair, insurance, registrations, cleaning, detailing, maintenance driving (yes I have to make a point of driving each of the cars every so often so they don't sit for an extended period of time) of six cars. Sometimes it really feels like a part time job. I'm interested to hear your guys thoughts. I will also add that the 918 would be driven a lot (4k miles/yr) and I know it's a much more practical car to drive than a CGT. I have other cars I would daily drive of course.

Last edited by E-Man; 10-05-2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: ...
Old 10-05-2016, 10:07 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Your sentiment resonates strongly for me - quality vs quantity and simplification of the stable such that fewer cars are enjoyed more often has been a theme i've been chasing as well. I've been trying to consolidate to timeless cars that provide perpetual enjoyment in 'normal' driving conditions

with regards specifically to the 918, superb machine as an all rounder although I don't know that I would give up my CGT if i had to choose .. there is something to rowing gears that gives me huge entertainment value
Old 10-05-2016, 12:06 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting post - most people dream of having a "fleet" of cars but don't think beyond the sexiness of owning them all. I guess the question to ask is, are you going to enjoy the 918 more than you enjoy your other 6 cars?

I'm all for simplification by means of quality over quantity - I guess it depends which of those 6 cars you will miss and what you are looking for in the driving experience. As superquant alluded to, a 918 might tick 5 of the 6 boxes, but leave you desiring that V10, manual transmission bliss. If you have multiple modern supercars in that list (458/Turbo/F12/F430/991RS?) then I'd say they could all be replaced with the 918. But if in that list you have cars like the CGT, F40, or classics like a Dino... the 918 won't be able to replace those experiences, imo.

One more thought: if one of your cars is a GT3RS that you enjoy taking to the track, then I would keep it for track duty. The 918 would be a blast to experience on track but I think I'd want to have the RS for regular track (ab)use.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

I know 2 people who sold their Carrera GTs only to buy one again later on. You will surely miss it.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CGT000
I know 2 people who sold their Carrera GTs only to buy one again later on. You will surely miss it.
I sold my Carrera GT to buy a 918.

I don't miss the CGT one little bit. It oversteered way too much for my taste (even with adjusting the rear bar to full soft), and the foot box was too confining for my 6'4" frame (making heel-and-toe shifting nearly impossible).

The 918 is so much more "modern" in its accessory compliment that it seems worlds better to me than my former CGT.

YMMV
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

You have been having this 918 lust for some time ... you need variety!

I just ordered an ACR - Extreme suggest adding one E!

OTH - shoot me a pm if you lean that way adding a garage plus you know I don't mind your (Grigo Ferro) leftovers would have posted the R version butt
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll chime in as I own way too many cars spread across the spectrum spanning countries and time frames.

I enjoy my children and the headaches they cause because they are children after all! But I also practice a bit of what Gioel mentions.

I'm down to one F car: which is gated. I love that clank when you shift.

Keep what you absolutely love, sell the rest and add what you love and want to have.

And always prune as needed......
Old 10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

I was up to 10 cars at my peak. I scaled way back and now average 3-4. I lean towards P-cars and alway have one or two but there are alot of great options these days. I wouldn't get rid of all you have and just own the 918.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:23 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for all the great comments guys. Really has me thinking about it a lot. 'Keep the ones you love' really resonates with me. I really do love all of them for their differences. I think it maybe wishful thinking that one car could successfully replace all six.
Question for 918 owners; when you sell your car do you lose your PORSCHE VIP status? Does it transfer to new owner? Wishful thinking I'm sure.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

As others have alluded to, as great as the 918 is, I would think of it as a financial portfolio and not put all your eggs in one basket. My auto portfolio isn't nearly as diverse as everyone else but I absolutely LOVE the totally different experiences I get when I go from the cgt to the 993turbo - the sights, sounds, feel, smells are what keep me from getting (dare I say) "bored" with the same car.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Man
Question for 918 owners; when you sell your car do you lose your PORSCHE VIP status? Does it transfer to new owner? Wishful thinking I'm sure.
918 VIP status is a declining balance sort of idea.

Sell your 918 before 6 months of ownership -> VIP cancels immediately on sale

Sell your 918 after 6 months but before 3 years -> Keep VIP privileges for 3 years.

Sell your 918 after 3 years -> Keep VIP privileges for 10 years.

VIP program is non-transferable.

Quick Reply: Thinking of consolidating