Sponsored by:

Call for help: 928 S4 Club-Sport, US version

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:54 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Call for help: 928 S4 Club-Sport, US version

I know that the 928 is not a Supercar, but it seems, at least to me, that a this sub-forum is the one with the biggest number of "big" collectors of Porsche.

Anyway, I have tried for years to find the two 928 S4 Club-Sport made for the USA, with no luck so far.

Porsche has produced 19 928 S4 Club-Sport:
- 10 1988 model-year for Europe
- 2 1988 model-year for the USA
- 7 1989 model-year for Europe (my former car was one of them).

I know the VINs of both cars and they are both red, one with a black interior, the other with a grey/green interior.

So if someone has a clue that could help me to find the cars, or their story, don't hesitate to contact me!

Thank you in advance.

Samuel
Old 09-09-2016, 03:35 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting. I had no idea they brought any to the U.S.!

If you have the VIN, someone with a Carfax account should be able to run it for you. This should tell where and when the car was last registered. However in some cases the info can either be missing or incorrect.

Unless someone actually knows where they are, any more info than that could be difficult.

You could try contacting PCNA (Porsche cars North America). However if they do know anything they likely won't divulge.

Excellence ran an article on the car in December of 1988, issue #12. Scanned here: http://porschecarshistory.com/porsch...xcellence-mag/

Wish I could help. I looked up pictures but they all show cars with European-spec lighting. It appears from my quick and sloppy research some of the 928 S4 CS were given to Porsche factory drivers. Is this the case with the two U.S. cars? That might be a hint as to how they came to be officially built for the U.S. (for a U.S. driver).

I imagine these two extremely rare cars went through esteemed dealers such as Andial or Brumos. Maybe they know something? Or maybe two VIPs at PCNA brought them in for themselves?

I assume you've tried the 928 subforum?

P.S. cool avatar picture!
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 AM
928cs
Race Car

Here are the VIN and a small description of the cars.

WP0JB0922JS865061
Red car with black interior. Seats and doors in black with cloth inserts, pin stripe flannel-Black/anthracite.
Produced mid-June 1987

WP0JB0924JS865062
Red car with grey/green interior. Seats and doors in grey/green with cloth inserts, Porsche script cloth in grey/green
Produced mid-July 1987

I know that they were build but I'm not even sure that they have crossed the Atlantic.
Indeed, they were delivered in Stuttgart and were produced 6 months before the official introduction of the model. They are both 1988 model year car, but were produced before the official start of this MY.
So, I suppose that they were made with the intention to sell the model in the USA, but this was never done.
They may have been imported and are somewhere into a collection, or they may have stayed in Germany.

So far, we have found no records at all into Carfax.
Of course, we have discussed about these cars for years now into the 928 sub-forum but except the Porsche records, we don't have a single piece of information about them.

Do you have a contact email for PCNA?
Do you think that the Porsche Club of America could be of some help?

I also like my avatar. My former CS is nice
Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

PCA probably won't be able to help, except for directing you to someone at PCNA.

I would definitely call PCNA. Mention your CS.

I would also try contacting the Porsche museum. I have no doubt they have at least one 928 CS in their collection. They may not know where these two are (if they did they wouldn't tell you anyway, lol), but they probably know the origin of these two and why/for whom they were produced.

Maybe one is in the Taj Ma Collection? Has an eclectic mix of lesser-known unique Porsches.

It is definitely possible that, as you mention, the cars were built with the intention of reaching North America but never actually did. As such their lighting could be reverted back to European spec.

Or, they could have been brought to North America briefly for testing, journalism and shows and driven around with Manufacturer plates, never registered, then shipped back.

This is definitely an interesting mystery you're looking to answer!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:28 AM
928cs
Race Car

So far, I have no evidence that there is a 928 CS in the Porsche Museum collection.
Thank you for your help and advices. I will try them.

For the moment, I have found 11 of the 19 production cars, and some prototypes too!

Quick Reply: Call for help: 928 S4 Club-Sport, US version