Sponsored by:

Just picked up a CGT

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Johnb55
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just picked up a CGT

I just picked up a Carrera GT, it arrived yesterday. I could spend hours on end just staring at all the little details throughout the car. Driving it is an absolute thrill, it's like no other street car I've ever driven. It's more race car than street car. And the sound! It snarls like a pissed off puma whose dinner you tried to take away!!

I'm sure I'll have many questions coming up and look forward to leaning on you guys for advice when I need it.
Attached Images    
Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 08-12-2016, 02:12 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Beautiful! Thats the color combo I personally prefer. Its classic porsche.

It surly is a race car for the road. The best street car ever produced. Congrats.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats! You're in for a great journey. The more you drive it, the more you will fall in love with it.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:28 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Gorgeous car!

If you want to stretch its legs a bit we have a rolling start race event on 9/18 at Pocono Raceway
Old 08-13-2016, 02:07 AM
Better4Worse
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats !

Enjoy in great health, no other car comes close to the thrill of driving this monster, just remember walk before you run !
Old 08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
jdcohenmd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome John, congrats. Can't wait to go for a drive together.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How does it compare to the 12c? Maybe I shouldn't ask as the 2 are from different eras. (I have a feeling what you are going to prefer driving for the sake of driving.) Congrats, and welcome .
Old 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Johnb55
Instructor

Originally Posted by smokeygt
How does it compare to the 12c? Maybe I shouldn't ask as the 2 are from different eras. (I have a feeling what you are going to prefer driving for the sake of driving.) Congrats, and welcome .
With about 600 miles on my CGT so far I can say the following;

Acceleration:
With similar weight and HP, in gear acceleration feels similar between the cars. The NA CGT is engine is amazing and very tractable over a wide rpm range and is and always there ready to pounce. The 12C with its twin turbos does exhibit a wee bit of turbo lag, but not much really. The double clutch transmission in the 12C certainly shifts quicker and more smoothly than the manual CGT can. The Mclaren is also much easier to launch from a dead stop. In pure acceleration, the nod goes to the 12C, purely on clutch and gearbox.

Handling:
The 12C feels like it turns in quicker, probably due to it's torque vectoring. It also stays flatter in corners, due to it's active suspension. The 12C absorbs rough surfaces and rides smoother over rough surfaces. Nod to the 12C again.

Sound:
CGT by a mile! The high revving NA V-10 in the CGT must be the sweetest sounding car ever.

Fit and Finish:
The CGT wins here. The quality of materials, detail and level of craftsmanship in the CGT are beyond compare. The 12C is simple and somewhat austere in comparison, but still nicely done.

So it would seem the 12C wins, but we haven't touched on the intangibles yet.
The CGT is much more of an event to drive, it's thrilling and much more engaging. The combination of that awesome high revving NA V-10 engine mated to an old school 3 pedal, 6-speed gearbox in a carbon tub, open top car is just, well... exquisite!!!

Bottom line, the 12C is like driving a video game. The CGT is like driving a late 90's LeMans Prototype on the street. If I had to choose only one, it would be the CGT.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 AM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! Beautiful car. Purchased from Philly?
Old 09-02-2016, 02:26 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

Congrats and enjoy. The sounds form the CGT are epic.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:35 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on a great car. Absolutely love the brown/black interior. Enjoy!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Johnb55
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmyrepasi
Congratulations on the purchase! Beautiful car. Purchased from Philly?
Yes, it was the car at Mclaren Philly
Old 09-02-2016, 05:51 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

CONGRATS!!! She is absolutely beautiful!!
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 09-02-2016, 11:41 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnb55
With about 600 miles on my CGT so far I can say the following;

Acceleration:
With similar weight and HP, in gear acceleration feels similar between the cars. The NA CGT is engine is amazing and very tractable over a wide rpm range and is and always there ready to pounce. The 12C with its twin turbos does exhibit a wee bit of turbo lag, but not much really. The double clutch transmission in the 12C certainly shifts quicker and more smoothly than the manual CGT can. The Mclaren is also much easier to launch from a dead stop. In pure acceleration, the nod goes to the 12C, purely on clutch and gearbox.

Handling:
The 12C feels like it turns in quicker, probably due to it's torque vectoring. It also stays flatter in corners, due to it's active suspension. The 12C absorbs rough surfaces and rides smoother over rough surfaces. Nod to the 12C again.

Sound:
CGT by a mile! The high revving NA V-10 in the CGT must be the sweetest sounding car ever.

Fit and Finish:
The CGT wins here. The quality of materials, detail and level of craftsmanship in the CGT are beyond compare. The 12C is simple and somewhat austere in comparison, but still nicely done.

So it would seem the 12C wins, but we haven't touched on the intangibles yet.
The CGT is much more of an event to drive, it's thrilling and much more engaging. The combination of that awesome high revving NA V-10 engine mated to an old school 3 pedal, 6-speed gearbox in a carbon tub, open top car is just, well... exquisite!!!

Bottom line, the 12C is like driving a video game. The CGT is like driving a late 90's LeMans Prototype on the street. If I had to choose only one, it would be the CGT.
I find the same thing. Mclaren "refined" maybe, I guess that's the word I'm looking for. CGT is just more exciting and it feels lighter. I feel more in touch or in control with the CGT whereas the Mac feels like it's taking me for a ride. Maybe the Mac needs open headers and a less comfy seat. In the 650's defense, I haven't driven it with all the nanny controls turned off, so it might be a different experience.
Congrats on the new LMP. (you're right, it really is an LMP)

edit: I don't mean to disparage the 650. It's like the first time riding a cutting horse. When that horse goes up to a steer and looks him in the eye, and takes charge of that steer, you just say Wow! You think "this horse doesn't need me, I'm just extra weight and in the way". Kind of like the 650, when you're in a tight turn and you feel the car take over and you feel the car yaw around with no driver input, you just say " Wow, this car doesn't need me",.. etc.. For my psyche, if it was mechanically controlled instead of computer controlled, I'd like it more. But one needs to appreciate those that created such a system and made it work. Just wonderful.
(If you've never ridden a cutting horse, I recommend that should be on everyone's bucket list, awesome)

Last edited by smokeygt; 09-08-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: rethink

Quick Reply: Just picked up a CGT