Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F40 vs CGT question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:39 PM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The secret is to pack lightly (ie leaving wife at home) or having friends with more capable cars carrying your luggage!
Old 07-19-2016, 02:29 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by maxt
The secret is to pack lightly (ie leaving wife at home) or having friends with more capable cars carrying your luggage!
buddies with G63 LOL
Old 07-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by maxt
So a 2 - 3 week tour in Europe with only my wife and I would be near on impossible?
Old 07-20-2016, 11:45 AM
maxt
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
So a 2 - 3 week tour in Europe with only my wife and I would be near on impossible?
Not knowing your wife I can't answer this question...what I can tell you is that a 2-3 days tour anywhere with my wife would be almost impossible in the CGT (and barely possible in an RS unless squeezing my stuff in the space behind the seats for instance)
If I were to travel with my brother or a mate I'm sure I could do a 2 weeks trip without any issue...only restriction being probably the difficulty of taking the roof off during the transfers when the "luggage" is in the car.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:54 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For strictly investments sake I would have to go with the F40. It will ways be a Ferrari, and it was the F Car to have in the 80s.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:24 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think CGT is the better investment. It has more upside potential.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Build quality has to count for something, almost like the mclaren f1, the CGT is like a jewel under the skin.. The f40 more like a rough race car. The f40 is special because it's iconic, and reminds us of a bygone era, but it's a v8 with some turbos and little other technology. but the CGT is a technical and engineering exercise, exquisite in every detail. From a value perspectives the CGT are close to the bottom.. But soon they'll pass the 918, and continue to go up. F40 is at top of their value for foreseeable future?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:30 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

[QUOTE=CAlexio;13465296]Build quality has to count for something, almost like the mclaren f1, the CGT is like a jewel under the skin.. The f40 more like a rough race car. The f40 is special because it's iconic, and reminds us of a bygone era, but it's a v8 with some turbos and little other technology. but the CGT is a technical and engineering exercise, exquisite in every detail. From a value perspectives the CGT are close to the bottom.. But soon they'll pass the 918, and continue to go up. F40 is at top of their value for foreseeable future?[/QUOTe

I am in agreement...I see big upside in CGT. My top three favorites of cars I've owned or driven are:

CGT, Aventador, 430 scud(I am a sucker for the sound)

I have not driven the 918 yet.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

918 feels like many different high tech parts working hard to make a very heavy object go fast. Like a better made fisker karma if you've ever experienced that. All those complex parts are an engineering marvel, but it's more like a speed factory than a car.. Feels like too many things can go wrong, and the driving experience is extremely remote. It's impressive, no question.. But a scary used car proposition no matter your budget.

In 20 years.. 10 years, maybe even 5.. When Porsche's next uber car figures out speed without complexity, the 918 will look like nothing more than a very delicate and clumsy 1.0 hybrid effort... With technology too old and complex to fix. The carrera gt will be the epitome of architectural simplicity in construction, with a Manual transmission and a screaming v10 with the best sounding exhaust in automotivedom. If I could buy a CGT today, I would over any stock or art portfolio.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:09 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

yes but CAlexio-

the best thing about the CGT is also the worst thing- it has a manual transmission- and because of that, lots of people have trashed their synchros and clutches over the years because they did not bother to properly learn how to use the car.

why is this a problem?
well in 15-20 years when all the current 20 year old tech nerds have the real money to buy the coolest things from the 2000's (I'm 35 so I like 90's stuff)- they probably won't be able to drive their cars. They'll need some old neighbor like me to show them how to do it. The CGT is almost like an old Bugatti in that sense- it's elegant, avant-garde, preposterous, classic, and dangerous all in one package.

the biggest detraction on the CGT values currently are the crappy ones for sale. the condition spread is so elastic right now because driver mile cars are continuing to get more and more beat up. by 20k miles, some guys will need new windshields, rotors, resprayed this and that. so while the 100 mile collector museum pieces are 1M+ all day long, the beater CGT (perish the thought) is 600k on a good day and less with a desperate seller (some are getting desperate). That "condition gap" will grow for the next 10-15 years. I'm going to drive my driver and store my museum piece CGT. I have two exactly for this reason. Ride the wave up and shift my own PCCC and mash my own PCCB.

we as the CGT owner community need to take this sh***y ones off the streets or convince the sellers to take them off the internet sales boards.

then scarcity would rule and if someone wants to get a CGT they have to start paying up again.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:14 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I think CGT is the better investment. It has more upside potential.
psychologically the key inflection point on the CGT valuation will be when a non-special one hits a magic number at an auction. This will cause two things-
1)more crappy ones to flood the market- huckster style
2)and the REALLY nice ones to be worth a ton more

we are in a holding pattern right now on values but you can look at it two ways- a CGT going up 200k is smaller amount than an F40 going up 500k. But- the % of equity jump is also higher on a CGT.

the real hedge is to have multiple CGT at multiple price points, mileages and specs.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

What are the major areas where a CGT gets "****ty".. Is it consumables like rotors, or something deeper and more expensive to address?

Also curious how synchros get trashed?.. I know the clutch is tough, and you have to let it out without touching accelerator.. But after first gear is there a special technique for the others?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:57 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 364 Posts

The only other shifting issue is 1-2 when the car is cold.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:13 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

and with the crappy ones, all items that can be restored or repaired?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

There are so many reasons the CGT will trump most supercars in time.

Last Porsche supercars from the private era. A culmination of 60 years of prototype endurance racing, the plastic cars wrapped up in a brilliant street package. The swan song.

Just so many reasons the car will be worth much more when it becomes a true vintage car. I see them as modern Gullwings. The driver cars will get restored and by and large they really are not complex so I envision specialty shops will pop up in time.

Quick Reply: F40 vs CGT question.