Sponsored by:

918 Purchase Search

Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tims16m
Agreed
It's doubtful that Porsche will produce a car to the build quality of the 918 for the mass market. Much less a car with full carbon fiber tub and body. The 918 is truly an iconic symbol of Porsche engineering.

I personally like driving a car where I don't have worry about handling with extreme caution. That's not to say I wouldn't mind having a CGT but if I want to drive on the track I would be so concerned about the handling and control, there is no way I could be comfortable. Guess everyone knows a large number of CGTs have been wrecked. And that doesn't help value.
Not meant personally tims16m but it irks me no end these myths about the cgt's handling and control. The cgt is an awesomely handling car , spectacular in fact , on another planet to a 918 for fun and interaction . what people don't get is they are over 600hp with no stability control and it will do exactly what you instruct it to and if you instruct it to crash it will oblige .There are few cars with the cgts level of communication and poise , a well maintained cgt in the hands of a competent driver is a pleasure rare in the world of automobiles .

Just look at the carrera gts ring time , now subtract circa 10 seconds [according to weissach] from it for modern cup type rubber [the original tyres were not very good at all] , they are not the hallmarks of an ill handling car

Last edited by wtdoom; 02-15-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:20 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Well, it was my comment that I was not comfortable. Didn't say the CGT was a bad handling car. I would say most wrecked CGTs are due to inexperience with the car and its unique character. I'm sure in the hands of a professional or experienced driver it is an absolute gem. Now that the car has reached the 800k+ level I just tend to be more cautious than I would with a 200k car. If stability control can save me from meeting a wall someday that's not such a bad thing. For me.

Wtdoom you have some really nice vehicles. Congrats on driving them to their fullest. Would hope someday I have the opportunity to do the same.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

check this out. Experienced driver + iconic car
http://www.streetfire.net/video/supercars-exposed-porsche-carrera-gt_166822.htm
Old 02-18-2016, 01:16 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Peter
450 mile GT Silver MSRP $875k
$1.35m

Side note: This forum has been a wonderful resource for many years, I've gain knowledge and met many great people here as well made lots of new friends. On occasion I do however find it hilarious what some folks find necessary to say, their opinions on how, what and why crack me up.
I may have missed it, but did you take delivery of this car yet? If not, I have a question to PM you.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Not meant personally tims16m but it irks me no end these myths about the cgt's handling and control. The cgt is an awesomely handling car , spectacular in fact , on another planet to a 918 for fun and interaction . what people don't get is they are over 600hp with no stability control and it will do exactly what you instruct it to and if you instruct it to crash it will oblige .There are few cars with the cgts level of communication and poise , a well maintained cgt in the hands of a competent driver is a pleasure rare in the world of automobiles . Just look at the carrera gts ring time , now subtract circa 10 seconds [according to weissach] from it for modern cup type rubber [the original tyres were not very good at all] , they are not the hallmarks of an ill handling car
+1

I tracked my first CGT a few times and loved it. Drives like an old school open wheel car
Old 02-22-2016, 11:07 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Blurple? Thats funny! I think I will try that one just so when someone asks "what color is your car?" I will say, "Blurple, you know, Blurple."
You should trademark that color. I cant stop laughing. blurple... wheww!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 918 Purchase Search