Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The is what it sounds like when you drive a Porsche Carrera GT with Straight Pipes –

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Ak3249
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Maybe he was just taking a leisurely drive.
Even when I'm just cruising and shifting slowly to warm up the gearbox or just shifting slowly I rev match up shift.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ak3249
Even when I'm just cruising and shifting slowly to warm up the gearbox or just shifting slowly I rev match up shift.
You rev match upshifts?
Old 10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
You rev match upshifts?
So do I. The engine in this car revs so freely that when you're "casually" driving, you need to match revs on upshifts or else they'll drop too far during clutching/de-clutching
Old 10-09-2015, 11:56 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Rev matching upshift when casual driving is needed because there is zero mass in the drivetrain to maintain revs. It drops like a rock.

Its a race car through and through thinly disguised as a road car. Unique.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 PM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cgt04115
Rev matching upshift when casual driving is needed because there is zero mass in the drivetrain to maintain revs. It drops like a rock.

Its a race car through and through thinly disguised as a road car. Unique.
could not agree more.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Rev matching on upshifts, even when lazily driving a quick revving engine, is usually not necessary. In fact, doing so is a good recipe for increased clutch wear due to an increase in clutch slippage. If you are giving the engine even a little too much throttle while releasing the clutch pedal after an upshift, you will be causing excessive clutch wear.

Modern(read computer controlled) quick revving performance engines have a tendency to experience a quick drop in revs when you press in the clutch pedal while either off the throttle completely or only using minimal throttle input just prior to pressing in the clutch. Modern performance cars like at least moderate throttle inputs before pressing in the clutch to upshift. This does not mean that you need to be accelerating before releasing the throttle and disengaging the clutch but you should at least give it a moderate amount of throttle before a slow upshift. This technique should keep revs from dropping too quickly while making a leisurely upshift.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:32 PM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Its just another LOVELY quirk about these cars.

The car begs to run. I translate the act of upshift rev matching to taming the best, or pulling on the "reins." Its almost instinctual, I wonder if other have experienced that as well? Not tough to do either, and works great to drive it smoothly or else your racing around grabbing gears. For me the car is sayin, "I am much more eager to grab the next gear than you seem capable of!!!!!" Think about it... And despite it all its a very fine road package they disguised it with. Its just so special.

If you have not driven a CGT then you just cant speak about them in factual terms. This car was designed with the lightest LTW Crank, Valves, Pistons, ect, and a friggen ceramic clutch with a very small diameter. Think about the centrifugal force of a heavier, wider diameter conventional clutch. And we can also throw in the LTW Flywheel thingy to round it out.

This is why when you turn one off it goes completely and utterly silent before the key turns enough to be released by the ignition.... Its instant like nothing you'll experience elsewhere.

Last edited by cgt04115; 10-09-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: The is what it sounds like when you drive a Porsche Carrera GT with Straight Pipes –