smokeygt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sad day... for all.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

The basis of the Walker suit is that the GT had a defect and that defect was the absence of stability control. I suspect however that the tires were the cause of the accident.

All of us who have tracked our cars, which I assume is virtually everyone on this forum, know how critical tires are to our safety. Even though the GT tires only had about 3k miles on them, they were nine years old. I know that this GT had several owners. It's just amazing that the tires weren't replaced during a routine maintenance service. Four years is about the maximum tire life for a car that is tracked, regardless of how much tread remains.

Based on what I've read the driver was a competent race car driver, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of those tires blew when subjected to great cornering stress. Since the car wasn't his, I expect that the driver assumed that the tires were relatively new. It's not exactly easy to read the manufacture date stamped on the tires.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned the hard way about not checking your tires when out for an "agressive" drive. The air pressure was a little under in one tire (didn't know it at that time), and after 2- 90º spins and finishing with a nice 180º - I ran out of road. Just damaged the bottom composite panels on the bottom of the car. Taught me a huge lesson - tires are one of the most important systems on your car.

I am sure alot of it was due to the age of the tires. These types of automobiles can push all of the car's systems to the extreme. The weakest one will fail - and depending on which one it is will effect the driver and the car's dynamics..

Any way - its the same crap that seems to be going on these days - it is always someone else's problem and not your own.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mrm 930
I learned the hard way about not checking your tires when out for an "agressive" drive. The air pressure was a little under in one tire (didn't know it at that time), and after 2- 90º spins and finishing with a nice 180º - I ran out of road. Just damaged the bottom composite panels on the bottom of the car. Taught me a huge lesson - tires are one of the most important systems on your car.

I am sure alot of it was due to the age of the tires. These types of automobiles can push all of the car's systems to the extreme. The weakest one will fail - and depending on which one it is will effect the driver and the car's dynamics..

Any way - its the same crap that seems to be going on these days - it is always someone else's problem and not your own.
Fortunately I only had one experience with a blown tire on the track. I was driving my 997S and going around 100 MPH. The car instantly spun, and the only thing that saved me was that I had lots of space to scrub off speed. If that happened on the street, the result would have been quite different, unless I were extraordinarily lucky. And that's the problem with speeding on public roads. There are just too many immovable objects like trees, poles, etc. that are literally just a few feet from the road.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:48 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Something rarely mentioned is the dip right near the exit of the corner. Obviously I do not know exactly what happened but I have driven around that corner many times, before and after this accident. Not that I ever noticed it before but recently I have become very aware of a dip and then a subsequent lightening of the chassis at a very critical part of the corner.

If you were taking it at over 90 mph I could see it causing a problem, especially in conjunction with old and cold tires. I do find it hard to believe that any sports car would lose control below 70 though, but especially a Carrera GT. Unless of course Roger punched it on the exit to intentionally kick the back out and then lost control. Something I have done in my younger days and was only lucky to not hit anything.

In any event I think there is better than even chance that dip played some role in the tragedy.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:08 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
Something rarely mentioned is the dip right near the exit of the corner. Obviously I do not know exactly what happened but I have driven around that corner many times, before and after this accident. Not that I ever noticed it before but recently I have become very aware of a dip and then a subsequent lightening of the chassis at a very critical part of the corner.

If you were taking it at over 90 mph I could see it causing a problem, especially in conjunction with old and cold tires. I do find it hard to believe that any sports car would lose control below 70 though, but especially a Carrera GT. Unless of course Roger punched it on the exit to intentionally kick the back out and then lost control. Something I have done in my younger days and was only lucky to not hit anything.

In any event I think there is better than even chance that dip played some role in the tragedy.
The CGT is a handful fully prepared - unprepared doesn't make sense.

CGT in 3rd gear will break loose car is incredibly direct and responsive.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:10 PM
abcut973
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paul Walker responsible for own death

Latest on the case

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34832124
Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by abcut973
I like the fact that Porsche is not just capitulating and offering a settlement. I hope Porsche prevails...
Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The Lawyer for Walker is a dreamer.
I sure hope he dosnt charge legal fees for this horrible case.

To claim that a vehicle (which has met all saftey standards in 2004) was not build to good enough standards to withstand a crash at over twice the posted speed limit is just grasping at straws.

The walker's lawyer should be focusing on sueing the driver.... although Walker voluntered to let him drive so that is a dead end as well.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Slimy lawyer looking for a settlement.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure where this lawyer thinks the GT has no PASM, its the same for most you have to turn it off. Cold tires, PASM = trouble, clearly the drivers fault!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:51 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing is idiot-proof, and Porsches aren't supposed to be.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is disgusting. I'm glad Porsche isn't just rolling over. I guess we'll all have to sign a release/waiver whenever we purchase anything!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:25 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original tires on a 2005 CGT equals bad news. Idiots driving (any car) at excessive speeds on a public road equals just that. Idiots. Professional drivers driving around on public streets with 9 year old tires in a CGT at excessive speeds equals MAJOR idiots who should know better. We can only be glad they didn't kill anyone else with such irresponsible behavior.

It's hard to have much sympathy when they both knew this particular cars tendencies and capabilities so very well. I liked the guy but such a shame that most laypeople will hate on Porsche over this and look sideways at us other owners even though the majority of us takes such care to maintain and operate these powerful machines responsibly under proper conditions. Big black eye for us and Porsche and a horrible loss for the families that are impacted by such impulsive and idiotic behavior

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Walker's daughter suing Porsche.